cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD's Questions

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I'm looking at finally purchasing an SSD, but I'm stuck as to which one to go for. The criteria I've set is:
1) 256gig's or larger.
2) Priced under $350 USD.
3) Reliability and Performance.

I don't want to be saddled up with an SSD that's too small for my setup and at present I could get away with a 500gig HD but I have a 1.5TB Seagate HD. My current Load Out is only using 350gig's Total.
My Choices sofar are:
1) OCZ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227781
2) Samsung http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147135
3) Crucial http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148449

My question is which one all of you recommend?
14 REPLIES 14

Kipper
Level 10
Hi DC

Of the three listed my choice would be the Crucial, the Samsung and lastly the OCZ

I have two of the M4s and they are nice, not as fast as some but very reliable and you will never see the difference in speed in real world use.

I have several of the OCZ solid state drives and have had to RMA three of them over the past couple years; the good news is OCZ handles their RMA very quickly so that's a big plus.

My next SSD purchase will be one of the 830 Samsung's which I have heard nothing but good things about.

One more thing on the OCZ you are showing, it has the Indilinx Everest controller and OCZ recently bought out Indilinx so they can reduce the price some on their drives when using an in-house controller. However, the one OCZ drive I have with their controller is somewhat slower in bench tests and a couple points lower on the WEI score which means nothing.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Thank You Kipper, I'm not very knowledgeable on SSD's. I've been looking at them for a long time but between the price and all of the stories, I've been afraid to make the jump relying on Mechanical HD's but recently I've had a bad sting of HD failures so I figured it was about time. Next Month I plan on putting one in Lay-Away but I had been torn between the three. The OCZ is out from your recommendation and now it's between the Crucial and the Samsung. I have had Samsung products in the past and they have always been very reliable so it might be a good choice. I just don't know anything about Crucial other than I'll never use their RAM again, three bad sticks (Ballistix) in less than a month.

InnervateD
Level 10
If you want reliability you got with the Crucial M4 series. They don't use the Sandforce chip, it's realitively fast but no where near as fast as the Sandforce counterpart.

I've heard a lot of issues with OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs. You can see that with the OCZ forums. I've already dealt with one issue personally with their drives on another build for my brother.

Samsung SSDs, I've haven't been able find them, hard to find.

Intel's especially the newer ones I heard are having issues compared to their last gen ones.

I personally have a pair of Corsair Force GTs and have them in RAID 0 and I'm having ZERO issues with them.

InnervateD wrote:
If you want reliability you got with the Crucial M4 series. They don't use the Sandforce chip, it's realitively fast but no where near as fast as the Sandforce counterpart..

it's why they are good, and they are far from been slow, the read is about the same ( see below) If you want a Sandforce the only one acceptable is my first choice will be the Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240 GB, only $ 330 with free shipping, and 5 years warranty , my second choice will be a Crucial.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086

Here a good and reliable reference that show the difference of speed between an Intel 530 and a Crucial M4, read speed are about the same , the writing is slower on the Crucial

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/50980-intel-520-240gb-cherryville-ssd-...

DooRules
Level 10
Got two Intel 520's, never an issue, I have a couple of m4's, never an issue. Either or the sammy would be awesome drives.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello DC

I have huge respect for Crucial M4 drives. But my first choice would be the Samsung. I use them for all my enterprise builds and have no hesitation recommending them to you.

OCZ um FAIL
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Kipper
Level 10
Yea, I think the Samsung is for sure my next purchase.

Samsung makes their own NAND and DRAM cache components and only using their own controller so you can count on all of the components being a nice match with each other and would be the cat's meow if you will.

For the time being I would avoid any of the SSDs that are using the 2xxx version of the SandForce controllers at least until they get all the problems sorted.

flearider
Level 8
don't forget the corsair performance pro .. which uses the marvell chip ..
AMD FX 8350 5.1ghz 221x23
CROSSHAIR V bios 1703
g-skill sniper 1600@1800
What does it matter now if men believe or no?
What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
To murmur in pity that my words were true
(Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

to see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ...

I've got a pair of Intel 520's and a pair of OCZ Solid 3's in RAID0 and haven't had any issues with either. Intel's are on the SATAIII ports and OCZ's are on the SATAII ports. Updated the firmware on the OCZ's to the 2.15's and the Intels are on what they were when I bought them (400i) is what RST is saying. I did hear a lot of bad things about the OCZ vertex 3's as well but most I read about were on the x59 chipsets and or trying to use them on Marvell ports. I tried all my ssd's on the Marvell's and they would drop pretty much like clockwork during intense or prolonged use. The OCZ's dropped from time to time when comp was idle but after flashing the firmware that was resolved. Easiest way to determine what to get is read reviews and check forums of the brand your looking at since thats usually where the ones who run into problems post first. Good luck with your decision :cool:
AMD 2700X, Asus ROG Strix X470-F, G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (16gbx2), XFX RX 580, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair 750D, SeaSonic 860W, OCZ RD400, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb, Intel 520 120Gb SSD