cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I update the BIOS on my new build?

HGnDC
Level 7
Just completed building my new PC (description in signature below) and updated all drivers.

I am wondering, however, if I should update the BIOS. The version that came with the board is 0224 (2018.08.14), while the latest is 0602 (2018.10.31).

The description for the latest version is enticing, promising

- Improved system stability and performance.
- Updated Microcode for 8-core CPU.
- Improved DRAM stability.
- Fixed USB device issue.

All of these sound like important improvements (what was the USB device issue?), yet so far my computer is running smoothly. I know the adage is, "if it isn't broken don't fix it," but it's hard not to want to implement improved stability and performance.
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | Intel i7-8700K | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2666 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW ULTRA SILENT | Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD | Western Digital Black 6TB | Cryorig H7 | Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
5 REPLIES 5

replica28
Level 7
same for me, new pc build with z370-e and my bios is from late 2017, even if i have no problem with the mobo, a lot of improvements are shown on asus utilities website. as it says in manual, any bios update come with an risk, should we update the bios?

panzlock
Level 12
If you want to update the microcode then update your BIOS. That is recommended by many, yet some remain unconcerned by Intel's microcode indiscretions. That would be entirely up to you.

In any case, do some homework and make sure the newest BIOS is stable before updating. If people are having too many or major problems with the latest BIOS you may want to wait a little longer, microcode update be damned.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
If you want to update the microcode then update your BIOS. That is recommended by many, yet some remain unconcerned by Intel's microcode indiscretions. That would be entirely up to you.

In any case, do some homework and make sure the newest BIOS is stable before updating. If people are having too many or major problems with the latest BIOS you may want to wait a little longer, microcode update be damned.

I'm not well versed in the Intel microcode issue, but I understand it involves Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. This is what CPUZ says about my CPU: 77559

I went to the Intel site to find out about microcode updates for my processor (https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf), and found the following info, though I can't determine which of these lines applies to my processor (can anyone tell me?) In any event my CPU is a 6-core unit and the 0602 BIOS says it updates microcode for 8-core CPUs.

Coffee Lake H (6+2), Coffee Lake S (6+2) 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family 906EA 22 Production --- --- 0x84
Coffee Lake S (6+2) Xeon E 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family 906EA 22 Production Candidate --- --- 0x84
Coffee Lake U43e 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family 806EA C0 Production Candidate --- --- 0x84
CoffeeLake-S (4+2) 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processor Family 906EB 02 Production --- --- 0x84
CoffeeLake-S (4+2)Xeon E 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family 906EA 22 Production --- --- 0x84
CoffeeLake-S (6+2) x/KBP 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family 906EA 22 Production --- --- 0x84
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | Intel i7-8700K | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2666 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW ULTRA SILENT | Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD | Western Digital Black 6TB | Cryorig H7 | Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

HGnDC wrote:
I'm not well versed in the Intel microcode issue, but I understand it involves Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. This is what CPUZ says about my CPU: 77559

I went to the Intel site to find out about microcode updates for my processor (https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf), and found the following info, though I can't determine which of these lines applies to my processor (can anyone tell me?) In any event my CPU is a 6-core unit and the 0602 BIOS says it updates microcode for 8-core CPUs.

Correct. These vulnerabilities (and others, apparently) allow data theft by programs entering through the back door (...ladies).

I'm assuming the BIOS includes the microcode for all LGA 1151 CPU's compatible with that board, including the new 8 core 9000 series from Coffee Lake. ASUS summaries for their updated BIOS/Software/Utilities is habitually lost in translation.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

JustinThyme
Level 13
New Build, update to the latest has always been my rule of thumb. Biggest reason is to mitigate any storage or other issues after you spend hours getting it set up.
My guess is the microcode is simply to accept the latest CPU releases that will be running on this platform.

I usually dont update after the fact just because a new BIOS is out. If my machine is running fine, nothing in the update applies to my build then I don't fix what isn't broken.

Also depending on how deep you like to dabble I always download all of what there in the first place and see which runs the best for my needs then leave that one loaded. Changing BIOS operations differ board to board. Some are easier to flash than others. Me, I just put the BIOS file on a USB with the machine off and push a button and it does it thing, can even be done without the CPU or ram installed.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein