cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Build Advice - Budget Included

Sirrrus
Level 7
Hello, I posted here about 5 years ago and received excellent build advice. My current rig is not doing so well, thinking it's time to upgrade so here's my rough draft for a new build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sirrrus/saved/#view=N2D7WZ

Rough Draft Build Parts:
CPU- i9-7900X
Mobo- EVGA X299 Dark (LGA 2066)
CPU Cooler- Corsair H100 v2
GPU- 1x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti (not really looking to SLI this time around, Assassin's Creed is my favorite series and they never support it anyway)
RAM- 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V (posted is 2x 16GB but I can alter that for compatibility)
Hard Drive: Samsung EVO 1TB SSD (keeping my existing hard drive)
PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Platinum 1200W 80+ Platinum

Budget: $3000-$4000 USD, but I'd like to stay closer to the $3k mark. My posted list comes in at $1800 and I figure $1200 for a single RTX 2080 Ti card. No interest this round in SLI.
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, I'm entranced by awesome graphics and great stories so...AC:Odyssey, AC: Origins, Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, etc. and I'm impatient, strongly desire low load times.
Parts required: All except monitor and hard drive

Previous build information (list details of parts):
CPU- i7-4930k
Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i
GPU- 2x EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI
RAM- 16GB Gskill Ripjaws Z DDR3 @ 2166
Hard Drive: Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
PSU: Seasonic 1250-X Gold (1250W)

Monitor resolution: Currently have 1080p, looking for feedback here before deciding to go 4K or for better frame rate with a slightly lower resolution. Can I even support 4K with a single RTX 2080 Ti card? Most articles I've read say yes, but I'm skeptical...
Storage requirements: Enough to have all my games, I plan on keeping my current hard drive, might upgrade that later if the new rig is bottlenecked.
Will you be overclocking: Yes but not much. My knowledge and skill is maybe slightly above average.
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): No, just looking for speed and reliability.
Extra information about desired system: I use my PC for Internet and games, that's it. I want great graphics and low load times. Open to any constructive criticism and advice as I'm only adept at builds and OC.

Thank you in advance for your help!
6 REPLIES 6

Retired
Not applicable
Look's like a good build for me 🙂 I wouldn't change anything expect maybe adding more ram for a total of 64GB. If you'll be overclocking, EVGA say's it can support up to 4000mhz quad-channel, however, practically, I think you will settle on 3200mhz or 3600mhz. You might want to ask other Skylake user's on how that's working out for them.
Yes, a single Geforce 2080Ti will support a 4K monitor without any problems. You will have small load times for sure, once you install your ssd.

AS185 wrote:
Look's like a good build for me 🙂 I wouldn't change anything expect maybe adding more ram for a total of 64GB. If you'll be overclocking, EVGA say's it can support up to 4000mhz quad-channel, however, practically, I think you will settle on 3200mhz or 3600mhz. You might want to ask other Skylake user's on how that's working out for them.
Yes, a single Geforce 2080Ti will support a 4K monitor without any problems. You will have small load times for sure, once you install your ssd.

Yes, Dual Channel of X299 Dark, that's deal.:cool:
One DIMM left, one DIMM right from CPU socket.

This is memory for his board and same model as he asked only Quad Channel kit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LBZ2FT/gskill-memory-f43200c16q32gvk

or you can try with this kit... maybe he allow drastically lower latency on 3200MHz because frequency is 3600MHz and I doubt Skylake-X IMC could resist so high. That mean XMP will 90% not pass, but manually you could get maybe 3200 C13-C14 and that's improvement as well.

F4-3600C17Q-32GVK

price 380$
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z78H99/gskill-memory-f43600c17q32gvk

Korth
Level 14
I think 32GB is a little overkill for your use. System reqs for AAA game titles are just barely reaching 16GB, it should still be good to run what you want to run for years. 32GB will also be an easy (and cheaper) upgrade a few years from now, if you ever need it. 2x8GB will also cost less and improve your chances of stable XMP at high speeds (since half of the bottleneck is in the CPU, regardless of how fast the RAM is rated).

But that's a beast CPU, 32GB+ will "unlock" more of it's power ... you just won't need any of it for Assassin's Creed (which apparently doesn't multithread very well). A beefy i5 part with faster clock would cost you less and serve you better for this.

I'd wait until Intel releases their i9-9900K, X599, etc. They may not be the parts you intend to buy, but because they'll suddenly occupy the top tier they'll push prices for all the existing parts down a rung. Could save you $$$.

You should get an SSD for your system drive. HDD-to-SSD is such a massive performance boost - it'll make your machine snappier and more responsive on everything you do all across the board - that it's almost criminal to neglect the option. You can always keep your HDD for "slow" storage (stuff like all of your movie/audio/photo/software/etc libraries) which don't benefit from SSD speeds. SSD reliability/longevity is not much of an issue like it was years ago, it's a mature mainstream tech which is actually beginning to exceed HDD MTBF rates in practice.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Sirrrus
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. Just a couple of questions:

1) The only piece I’m unsure of is the Mobo. Is it the right one for the job? I do like my RIVE-B and wondered if I should go for the newer RVIE for familiarity. Or is that overkill?

2) I think I’m sticking with 32GB for Ram, but does the quantity of sticks affects performance/speed? If I have 2x 16GB or 4x 8GB running at say 3600, does the quantity 2 or 4 sticks affect anything?

3) 4K monitors seem a little behind the curve right now, I might pick up a nice 144Hz 1440p in the meantime, any suggestions?

Thanks again!*

Vlada011
Level 10
How someone could say it's good.
You don't see mistake, X299 need 4 DIMM Stick.
That mean 4x4, 4x8, 4x16GB, not 2x 16GB.
He need Quad Channel.

Stay with 32Gb if you can afford.
Check QVL for X299 Dark and buy 4x8GB 3200MHz.
Everything else is OK except that Terrible, terrible 10 years old PC Case HAF.

Tell price range I will recommend for max price you want.
For your build I would not use anything less than Lian Li, PC-O9 example is on discount.

PC-O11 WXC is great,

PC-O11 Dynamic if you want cheaper, etc...

This is case for you, same as mine... wait aluminium legs SD-O1 and aluminium SSD/HDD mounting kit HD323X to start to shine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c7Brxr/lian-li-pc-o11-wx-atx-full-tower-case-pc-o11wx

You can install server motherboard with thick radiator on floor and bottom and still is not full tower huge case.

Sirrrus
Level 7
How someone could say it's good.
You don't see mistake, X299 need 4 DIMM Stick.
That mean 4x4, 4x8, 4x16GB, not 2x 16GB.
He need Quad Channel.

Stay with 32Gb if you can afford.
Check QVL for X299 Dark and buy 4x8GB 3200MHz.
Everything else is OK except that Terrible, terrible 10 years old PC Case HAF.

Yes, Dual Channel of X299 Dark, that's deal.
One DIMM left, one DIMM right from CPU socket.

To be sure I understand...must I have Quad-Channel because of the Skylake? And you feel I will have better results with the latency if I stick with the 3200?

How about this for a case? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rwhj4D/corsair-case-cc9011078ww

I would say budget for case is $100-$200. Just something with good airflow and allows me to get all the parts in. I'm somewhat clumsy with the parts and wires, so a bigger case/a case with lots of space would be easier for me to get everything tied up nicely. I do not care about cosmetics, I don't care for fancy lights or anything like that.

Thank you for your advice!