cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen goes black and ASUS 1080ti powers off!?

HisEvilness
Level 7
Hello,

I have looked elsewhere but this topic seems old but mention driver problems or overheating.
Problem is I have the latest drivers and really good air cooling, with the temps of the GPU being around 65c on OC.
There is also mention of ASUS mobo surge protection might causing issue's but i do want to make sure i am not frying any components.

But to paint you a more accurate picture i play TW Warhammer 2 with everything maxed, after some time the screen goes black and the GPU powers off.
PC is unresponsive and even the power button does not work I have to reboot using the power switch on the PSU wait for the power connector lights to turn off.
Then flip the switch and click the power on button to boot, it also does a boot check what is not a regular thing unless i dail in new OC settings in the bios.

CPU Ryzen 5 1600X, ASUS ROG X370 Gaming, ASUS ROG 1080Ti, 16GB Corsair 32000 DDR4, EVGA G3 750w, no daisy chain on the power supply to GPU straight up dedicated power lines, well cable mods but those are high end components as well
Components are new, about 3 months old give or take.
No overheating issue's, i've set the fan profile to normal, and probing PCH/CPU/GPU for the case fans.
Full tower Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, with 4 x 140mm intake, 3 x 140mm exhause + 1 x 120mm exhaust.

The game does put a big load on the GPU and overall system but this is new to me any idea's suggestions? faulty part?
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi, can I ask what you mean exactly when you say the GPU powers off?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Hi, can I ask what you mean exactly when you say the GPU powers off?

The LEDs on it power off, i also saw this happen a minute ago with the motherboard LED's.
So there is some sort of shutdown as the whole PC just stops responding, however this time i could use the power button.
but the same result a black screen etc.

HisEvilness wrote:
The LEDs on it power off, i also saw this happen a minute ago with the motherboard LED's.
So there is some sort of shutdown as the whole PC just stops responding, however this time i could use the power button.
but the same result a black screen etc.

Do you still have the modular cables supplied with the PSU? If so I would consider trying those.

Silent Scone wrote:
Do you still have the modular cables supplied with the PSU? If so I would consider trying those.

I am using the cables that came with the PSU those cable mods are extensions(link: https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-basic-modmesh-cable-extension-kit-dual-62-pin-series/)
But i think you mean just use the standard cables and that seems to work just fine.
Hence i did not get a full kit since i wanted to see if they work properly.

But beforehand i adjust the overpressure in my case setting the 4x 140mm fans slightly higher RPM and i took out the parts and seated them again.
This seem to have resolved the issue, no crashes atm but still unsure what the cause was/is tbh.

HisEvilness wrote:
I am using the cables that came with the PSU those cable mods are extensions(link: https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-basic-modmesh-cable-extension-kit-dual-62-pin-series/)
But i think you mean just use the standard cables and that seems to work just fine.

But beforehand i adjust the overpressure in my case setting the 4x 140mm fans slightly higher RPM and i took out the parts and seated them again.
This seem to have resolved the issue, no crashes atm but still unsure what the cause was/is tbh.

Yes, sorry I thought you were using complete custom sleeved cables. Ok, wondering if something wasn't seated right. Glad you've resolved it seemingly.

HisEvilness wrote:

This seems to have resolved the issue, no crashes atm but still unsure what the cause was/is tbh.

Well the only thing i could think of because this switching off was new, i played other games etc.
But somehow my external USB DAC/Soundcard seems to interfere with the LED control.
Did a clean install if win10 a month ago because my sound card did not even work some sort of problem with the USB drivers.