cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of patience and thermaL paste

13oots2
Level 7
I have a really odd problem with my Rampage VI Extreme with disappearing memory slots. Both DIMM slots A and B channel work perfectly but C and D can disappear and not work, at tthe moment C2 and D1 are working, but if I re-seat the processor this can change. I have tried various mounting pressues and cleaned the CPU pins, the board socket is perfect. I have also checked my liquid metal application and there are no shorts to the caps on the CPU. The only time I got full RAM slots is when I applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to the die but load temps were really too high for my liking.

I must've re-seated the processor about 30 times and only once hit on the full RAM slot configuration, the PC then crashed after about half an hour and was back to "Detecting Memory" and missing C/D channels. Also I can now only run my RAM at the stock 3200mHz, any overclock results in "Detecting Memory" and I have to go back to stock, before it ran quad 3467mHz without issue, now I am down to triple channel.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

TIA 13oots2
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152 wrote:
It's possible but normally when something like that happens the whole cpu goes.

Have you tried adjusting other voltages to help get your ram stable?

I'm not sure about your motherboard but if you have these settings on the extreme tweaker tab try...

CPU Sytem Agent voltage - 1.20v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.20v
Dram voltage 1.40v - 1.45v

Does this help any?

That got me back up to 3467 on the memory quite a bit more voltage than I was using before the issue, will tinker later to see if I can get the SA and VCCIO down a little, RAM is at 1.38. Still the memory detect error with the 2 problematic slots, am beginning to think it is the IMC.

Nate152
Ok, you're making some progress, but still 2 sticks not showing.

Dram voltage up to 1.50v is safe and the maximum recommended by Intel.

I use Dram voltage of 1.55v with my G.Skill Trident Z's.

Tried running RAM at 2133 and system boots. Go to RAM information in the BIOS and the sticks are showing as being in slots, there is no information on speed or capacity, the other sticks read fine. My RAM doesn't seem to like high voltages and on my previous (non Asus) board ran 3600 at 1.38V with SA at 0.92V everything else Auto.

Nate152
On my motherboard, Dram Frequency shows at the top of the extreme tweaker tab in yellow.

The two sticks disappearing when setting a higher frequency tells me there is instability somewhere.

I don't mean to get too aggressive with the voltages. Maybe try working the frequency up slowly a step at a time from default and adjust voltages (Dram, SA, VCCIO) accordingly as you run into instability.

Be sure the primary timings are set correctly.

I would feel comfortable taking the Dram voltage to 1.45v if needed.

I am of the opinion it is a hardware issue, was working perfectly at 1.38V and detecting all my RAM in quad channel. Swapped out Kryonaut for LM and the problems began, as I have noted before there is no socket damage and there is no LM anywhere but on the die and IHS. Mobo now only runs triple channel at higher voltages, I am reasonably happy it is at least running stabily now.

Nate152 wrote:
On my motherboard, Dram Frequency shows at the top of the extreme tweaker tab in yellow.

The two sticks disappearing when setting a higher frequency tells me there is instability somewhere.

I don't mean to get too aggressive with the voltages. Maybe try working the frequency up slowly a step at a time from default and adjust voltages (Dram, SA, VCCIO) accordingly as you run into instability.

Be sure the primary timings are set correctly.

I would feel comfortable taking the Dram voltage to 1.45v if needed.

I think you misunderstood the issue, the two RAM slots aren't working at any frequency, hence me thinking it's a hardware problem. There is an option in my BIOS under Tools that allows me to check the speed etc of the RAM inserted in which slot, only partial information for the bad slots shows up.

Nate152
Like you, I'm finding it odd just switching to LM would cause the problem.

I see you delidded your 7940x, I delidded my 7700k with thermal grizzly conductonaut and got an average of -15c in temps, definitely worth doing if not a soldered cpu.

Since the voltages I gave you did get you more stable, I'm leaning towards you may need a little more to get 64GB 3600MHz stable.

As your working up the frequency, I would go no more than...

Dram Voltatge - 1.45v
VCCIO: 1.25v - 1.30v
System Agent: 1.25v - 1.30v

I'm not saying you will need this but these are the maximum voltages I would feel comfortable with.

Nate152
If this doesn't work, I'm wondering if there was some LM run off inside the cpu.

Nate152
Ok,

Was trying to see if we could get them to show and since they are not showing at any frequency after applying the liquid metal, I'm wondering if there was some liquid metal run off inside the cpu.

If LM got onto any of this, it could cause problems.

I cleaned off the old application of LM and flushed the CPU with IPA, not a drop of LM anywhere but on the die. When I did it I asked my mate if his wife had any spare nail varnish and covered all the SMD's. It all leads me to a hardware issue with the motherboard or CPU.