cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Thor Platinum II came with a 12VHPWR cable without sense pins?

zeblote
Level 9
I've just bought a ROG Thor Platinum II since it was advertised as compatible to deliver 600W to a RTX 4090 and actually in stock. It is advertised as coming with a cable that looks like this:

However, the cable that came with it does not look like that. It's a plain 12 pin connector without any sense pins or 600W text. Does that still work? I'm not sure what the small pins are actually used for.
8 REPLIES 8

zeblote
Level 9
Having received the GPU today, I can confirm that that cable does NOT work. However, the adapter that came with the GPU does.

zeblote wrote:
Having received the GPU today, I can confirm that that cable does NOT work. However, the adapter that came with the GPU does.

hi, I also have this power supply. I bought it as compatible with the new PCI e. Gen5. I read from your comment that with the new RTX 4000 GPUs it does not work.
A few months ago, with the 3080ti F.E., I had no problems, but it had a 12pin connector.

Does Asus sell a Thor Platinum II compatible cable with the new 16pin connector?

:.Luca.: wrote:
hi, I also have this power supply. I bought it as compatible with the new PCI e. Gen5. I read from your comment that with the new RTX 4000 GPUs it does not work.
A few months ago, with the 3080ti F.E., I had no problems, but it had a 12pin connector.

Does Asus sell a Thor Platinum II compatible cable with the new 16pin connector?

Apparently, what happened is that this model was updated to have the 16 pin connector at some point, but if we got one out of the old stock then it won't have that cable. If you register the serial number on the site and contact support with a copy of your invoice and address, they will send you the missing cable.

thank you for the feedback and proceed immediately. i hope for good news

unfortunately I contacted asus Italy and they don't have any available :mad: :mad:

:.Luca.: wrote:
unfortunately I contacted asus Italy and they don't have any available :mad: :mad:

So I was lucky as I just received today my Thor Evangelion from Amazon with a 16pin regular 12vhpwr (Eva series is just 3 months old so....)...I would send yours back, and order a Eva, that should have it certainly (I'm Italian as well)...

Grifil wrote:
So I was lucky as I just received today my Thor Evangelion from Amazon with a 16pin regular 12vhpwr (Eva series is just 3 months old so....)...I would send yours back, and order a Eva, that should have it certainly (I'm Italian as well)...

Are you sure that you got the 600 watt cable and not the 450 watt one?

robb543 wrote:
Are you sure that you got the 600 watt cable and not the 450 watt one?

Odd thing is that while the cable looks like a 600w, with sense pins and all, I can set my maximum tgp only to 93% of total, meaning that in reality it is a 450W cable...But here is the issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/yi31og/psa_the_seasonic_12vhpwr_cables_are_defective_too/

(Seasonic and ASUS are the same)