cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X570-E/X570-F PCIe lane assignment

raddish
Level 7
I am considering the STRIX X570-F motherboard for a new Ryzen build.

I plan to run a single RTX 30x0 GPU, a 10G SFP+ NIC, a single M.2 x4 NVMe drive, and 2x SATA SSDs.

My understanding of the AMD X570 architecture is that I can run the GPU at x16 using lanes off the CPU, the M.2 at x4 using lanes off the CPU, and then the SATA and PCIe x4 NIC using the X570 PCH.

The English manual states that PCIeX16_3 slot is shared with lanes on M.2_2, however the Japanese manual states that the PCIEX16_3 slot is shared with lanes for PCIEX1_2

The English manual also shows configuration options for 1, 2 and 3 GPUs/PCIE cards for the three PCIEX16 slots, with options of x16/NA/NA, x8/x8/NA, and x8/x8/x4. This does show that there are an extra 4 lanes that appear for slot 3, with 16 still remaining available for the first two slots.

Does anyone have one of these boards where they're running a GPU at x16, and another non-GPU add in card at x4 that can confirm whether this will actually work? While I understand that PCIe 4.0 x8 is the same speed as PCIe 3.0 x16, I'd prefer to have the ability to retain all 16 lanes for the primary GPU slot while still running an add-in card in the x4 slot.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
1 REPLY 1

New_Ninja
Level 7
im having a similar issue here. added two m.2 drives and it seems that none of the PCIE are not being detected by a pcie adapter for a 3rd nvme. Any work around for the x570-e?
See specs...