cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 on Maximus Hero z690?

MilleSabor
Level 7
I currently have a MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS installed in PCI-slot 1, PCIEX16(G5)_1, on my Maximus Hero z690 and intend to upgrade the GPU to a ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090.
HOWEVER: in Slot 2, PCIEX16(G5)_2, on the board, I currently use the ROG Hyper M.2 card with a single SSD installed in in Hyper M.2_2-Slot. As M.2_1, M.2_2 and M.2_3 on the board are also populated, moving that particular SSD to another location is not an option.
Slot 3, PCIEX16(G4), is occupied with a SoundBlaster AE-7 which I am ready to let go if necessary. Now I am not well enough versed in hardware-lore to fully understand my options:
The RTX 4090 will most likely block PCI-slot 2, won't it? So I don't know how to proceed... How much performance would I lose if I installed the GPU in slot 3 as it would not block anything there (I have ample room in my BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 v2-case)? Perhaps more viable would be migrating the Hyper-Card to slot 1 and the GPU to slot 2 (thus losing the Soundblaster-card on slot 3 as that would be blocked but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make....)?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
0 REPLIES 0