cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG RYUJIN II 360 dilemma

Bainsmit
Level 8
Hello,

I am thinking to get ROG RYUJIN II 360 but I have few dilemmas and I can not find straight answer. I have Asus x470 prime therefore I only have 12 V RGB connector.
As Ryujin II 360 does not have ARGB fans I tough that it is not an big deal and that I can simply ignore ARGB capabilities of supplied ASUS AIO controller.
I asked Asus support will RYUJIN II work without RGB capabilities and will I be able for example to load an picture on LCD screen. I got rather unexpected response:

"Regarding the described problem,we would kindly like to inform you that you will not be able to load images on the screen to be seen and this happens because the RGB cable will not be connected.

The product screen will work in deafult mode."

So it turns our that USB 2.0 connection does not transfer data but that is done by ARGB header on MB...

Also now I have one more dilemma because above answer. Will I be able to control at all included fans or they will just spin in "defaul mode" whatever that means... on one reddit post there is information that fans can be controlled only thru AIO controller (and that they are registered by AIO only when connected to AIO controller) but will it work when RGB is not connected (again to me it is completely different thing then RGB and it should work with or without RGB cable is connected to mb or not...but somehow now I am puzzled)?

Can someone help me wit those dilemma.

Thank you,
17 REPLIES 17

Rolda
Level 8
Hi.
Of course, everything will work. The pump and LCD are controlled from the USB header. Micro USB leads from the pump to the FAN controller, which controls the fans and at the same time powers the pump. A-RGB does not need to be connected (the motherboard does not have A-RGB). The fans simply won't light up. An A-RGB or RGB header can only drive LEDs, nothing else.
You might consider buying the Non-RGB version.
Attention, do not connect A-RGB to the RGB header!
A-RGB are 5V addressable LEDs.
RGB are 12V LEDs.

Thank you for an answer. What you wrote was my toughs exactly but that support guy totally puzzled me thats why I asked it again in here.

USB is for data ergo LCD screen...ARGB is for lights...but I understand him that if you do not have ARGB port screen will not be able to accept pictures which was crazy to me.

I was considering non ARGB RYUIN II version...becouse my board does not support directly ARGB...but then again RYZEN 7000 is near you never know 😛

Also I have another question as I red conflicting reviews. How is the noise? Currently I have Noctua NH D15. I also have 5800x so new AIO would cool it for the time been.

Rolda wrote:
Hi.
Of course, everything will work. The pump and LCD are controlled from the USB header. Micro USB leads from the pump to the FAN controller, which controls the fans and at the same time powers the pump. A-RGB does not need to be connected (the motherboard does not have A-RGB). The fans simply won't light up. An A-RGB or RGB header can only drive LEDs, nothing else.
RGB are 12V LEDs.

Hello, ihave a doubt, can i put my converter without any problem and it will work but without a range of colors, right? 4345&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp

Rolda wrote:
Hi.
RGB are 12V LEDs.

I have the same AIO. However I have the ARGB version but I am using different fans. I only want to control the what is displayed on the LCD and the pump speed. I can do that with just the USB header? For the other fans in my case I have a controller for all of them but my case can only fit one controller.

Rolda
Level 8
Noise. It is a difficult question. We all have different hearing. I read a lot of reviews but I finally bought it. The airflow in the case has improved. The GPU does not heat up the CPU cooler, etc. Fan curves and pumps can be adjusted in Armoty create.
Noctua NH D15 is a high-end and quiet cooler, why do you want to replace it with an AIO?

The ARGB connection should just be to control the ARGB ports on the fan hub/control box that's part of the Ryujin II product. It makes no sense that it would have any significant impact on the USB monitoring and control of it, which is where the LCD control comes from. I'm 99% certain the support tech just got it wrong. You certainly need the SATA power and USB connected, but the ARGB connection should only be necessary if you want to use the ARGB ports on it.

As for noise, the non-ARGB version comes with 2 or 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM fans. Those fans are slightly noisy if running at 2000 RPM, but very quiet running at low speed. Fan control is over the USB, configured through Armoury Crate, but AC does not need to be running for the fan curves to do their thing. If you limit the fans to about 1000-1200 RPM, running them around 900 RPM for lighter loads, it doesn't generate much noise. Obviously if you are running the CPU in a way that generates a ton of heat, you might want a bit more fan speed for that, but the same goes for the NH-D15. As it happens, I have a NF-A15 HS-PWM as my rear exhaust fan, which is the same fan as used on the NH-D15 (but some use the slower 1200 RPM version, the HS-PWM is 1500 RPM). It wasn't a scientific test, just using my ears with my PC on the desk beside me; the 3 NF-F12 fans on the Ryujin II 360 give about the same noise at 1100-1200 RPM as a single NF-A15 running at 1500 RPM. At 1500 RPM, the triple NF-F12s on the Ryujin are about the same noise as my triple NF-A14 front intake fans running at 1500 RPM. At roughly 900 RPM and slower, they are all extremely quiet. You can throttle the Ryujin II NF-F12 iPPC-2000 fans down to 1500 RPM max via careful use of the fan curves. At reduced speed, they are basically the same as the standard NF-F12, just with a higher spec motor/hub.

I would not want to try to guess which is the better of the 2 cooling options, between the NH-D15 and Ryujin II. Both are top tier, very quiet under lighter loads, but can get noisier if the fan curves ramp them up to high/full speed. I'm very happy with the Ryujin II, but also think the NH-D15 is one of the best products around for taming higher end CPUs. For a 5800X, they are probably both roughly equal in terms of providing more than adequate CPU cooling without extreme noise. The Ryujin II does have a possible slight advantage in some situations, as it can be doing double duty of both CPU cooling and extra case exhaust; when top mounted, it's great at dumping out the heat coming off an air cooled GPU that is working hard.

Bottom line, the NF-F12s and the VRM cooler on the pump block of the Ryujin II can be noisy if running at high speed. You also really don't ever really need to run them at max speed for normal use cases.

Rolda wrote:
Noise. It is a difficult question. We all have different hearing. I read a lot of reviews but I finally bought it. The airflow in the case has improved. The GPU does not heat up the CPU cooler, etc. Fan curves and pumps can be adjusted in Armoty create.
Noctua NH D15 is a high-end and quiet cooler, why do you want to replace it with an AIO?

Basically I do not need to replace cooler as you are right Noctua is an great cooler. But I was drawn to AIO because for one I never used one and I am curious for two I liked LCD screen :)...(I know I know lame) and for three I want to make disco club of my PC :)...(again everyone knows that RGB speeds up PC by at least 50%).

I guess it all come to ascetics AIO looks to me nicer in the case.

Rolda
Level 8
I see. I also like the Ryujin II 360. I have the non-RGB version. I couldn't write it better than the Murph_9000. I fully agree with him.

I agree with you both. I will now think should i pull an trigger :)...