cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Ryujin II 360 correct installation?

MaKo82
Level 9
Trying to figure out the correct installation for the radiator fans. I have the 2.0 USB header plugged into the MB and the Micro-USB plugged into the ROG fan controller. The radiator fans are daisy chained together and this i where i'm a bit lost. The manual isn't clear on where to plug in the fans.

Do I plug it into the ROG fan controller, or the CPU_FAN header on the MB?

I initially plugged it into the CPU_FAN header and it was running fine, but now im not 100%. The temps did seem a bit higher than I'm use too. but then again I made a massive upgrade from 6700K to 13900k. CPU was idle around 40-45c.

Also, can I plug additional case fans in the spare slots on the ROG fan controller?
5 REPLIES 5

RogScott
Level 12
By design, Asus intends that the Ryujin-II radiator fans be connected to the included fan controller, and that Armory Crate be used to control their speed.

You can, however, plug them into the motherboard if you wish. The CPU header will work, as will any other fan header. You can then use the Bios or another fan control utility to control them.

I have tried it both ways. If I could control the pump without Armory Crate, I would probably ditch Armory Crate and connect the fans to the motherboard. But since I'm stuck with Armory Crate for the Ryujin-II pump (it cannot be connected to a motherboard port), I just connected the radiator fans to the included controller as intended, and use Armory Crate to control both the pump and the fans.

What's really sad is that Armory Crate doesn't have any option to control the radiator fan speed based on coolant temperature. Armory Crate knows the coolant temperature and can display it on the Ryujin-II display, but there is (as yet) no way to use anything other than CPU temp to control the radiator fans.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

MaKo82
Level 9
I'll just have to adjust the fan curve for the CPU temp when plugging it into the fan controller. appreciate the help. Its been a while since i've done a new build.

Ubascouser
Level 7
Watch out for the ryujin ii I have one and sometimes when switching on the pc the fans don't power on. I try to check most times at switch on but sometimes if I forget I'll only notice after a while and by that time my cpu is hitting the high 80s.

Ubascouser wrote:
Watch out for the ryujin ii I have one and sometimes when switching on the pc the fans don't power on. I try to check most times at switch on but sometimes if I forget I'll only notice after a while and by that time my cpu is hitting the high 80s.

I've had a Ryujin II for a while and have never seen the fans fail to start. If you have the low end of the fan curves set very slow, that could maybe be too slow to start them (just a guess, but I'd expect them to start once it starts climbing the curve if that was the case).

Murph_9000 wrote:
I've had a Ryujin II for a while and have never seen the fans fail to start.

Same here. Had mine since March-2022, radiator fans connected to the included fan controller, never a problem with them starting up. If they aren't starting at boot, could be a too-low rpm setting (as @Murph_9000 suggested), or something like a bad fan controller / power connection / fan cable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3