cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG RYUJIN II 360 AM5 Support

fgentile01
Level 7
So how do I obtain a AM5 socket mounting kit for a ROG RYUJIN II 360 AIO?

I am assembling parts for a rebuild and am building two systems both AM5. I need a AM5 mounting kit for both my ROG RYUJIN II 360 ARGB EVA EDITION and
ROG RYUJIN II 360.

I don't mind paying. I just need a part number and direction on where to purchase.

ASUS support has not gotten back to me after about 30 minutes on hold they asked for a call back.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I ditch these coolers and go with something that will support AM5?
8 REPLIES 8

Murph_9000
Level 14
AM5 has the same 4 bolt pattern for cooler mounting as AM4, and the same Z height when installed in the socket. The Ryujin series use the standard Asetek standoffs and mounting ring for AM4, so should support AM5 without any changes. Pretty much all Asetek-type coolers with AM4 standoffs and ring support AM5 without any additional mounting hardware required.

Murph_9000 wrote:
AM5 has the same 4 bolt pattern for cooler mounting as AM4, and the same Z height when installed in the socket. The Ryujin series use the standard Asetek standoffs and mounting ring for AM4, so should support AM5 without any changes. Pretty much all Asetek-type coolers with AM4 standoffs and ring support AM5 without any additional mounting hardware required.

It was published on Asus' website that some of their AIOs(including the Ryujin II 360) will need a special AM5 mounting kit. This is because AM4 and AM5 cooling solutions are technically not 100% compatible. As far as I understand it, anything that needs a custom backplate will NOT work with AM5(without modifying the mounting mechanism - like the custom AM5 mounting kit Asus is talking about), since with AM5 there is a standard backplate that holds the socket itself. The news article is here - https://www.asus.com/news/feedfdczf4kz7ed7/ , but below is a screenshot of it as well.

fgentile01 - did you figure anything out? I called one of my local Asus representatives and they had no clue what I was talking about and just said "we currently don't have this AIO in stock, so we don't know.". I reached out to Asus support and they said:

I inform you that we are technical support for Asus products and we do not have information about stocks or sales. Please keep in mind that Asus is only a manufacturer and does not sell any products directly to stores or end customers.
To find out more details about the desired product, please contact one of our authorized Asus distributors.

Not really helpful... I haven't found any other information about said mounting kit and so when I purchased the components for my build, I just went with a Noctua NH-D15S. If the mounting kit gets released in the future, I might switch to the Ryujin II 360 as I do like its aesthetic 🙂

nikolapdev wrote:
It was published on Asus' website that some of their AIOs(including the Ryujin II 360) will need a special AM5 mounting kit. This is because AM4 and AM5 cooling solutions are technically not 100% compatible. As far as I understand it, anything that needs a custom backplate will NOT work with AM5(without modifying the mounting mechanism - like the custom AM5 mounting kit Asus is talking about), since with AM5 there is a standard backplate that holds the socket itself. The news article is here - https://www.asus.com/news/feedfdczf4kz7ed7/ , but below is a screenshot of it as well

None of the ROG AIOs have a custom backplate; they all use the standard AM4/AM5 backplate supplied with the motherboard (as do all standard Asetek-type coolers). I can see there's a different set of standoffs (with a spacer that is installed in a different orientation for AM4 vs AM5) shown in the updated Ryujin manual, and Asetek also seem to be selling a slightly different mounting kit to update older coolers, but I'm not entirely clear on why that's necessary. AMD seemed to be saying that the Z height was engineered to be the same for AM5, and the cooler bolt pattern/spacing is the same, so it's kinda weird that there's some very small change in the standoffs and spacers. I'm confused why there's any change in the mounting kits, to be honest.

And yes, to be clear, any AMD cooler that replaces the motherboard's CPU backplate will need an updated kit for AM5; but that's not the case here.

Murph_9000 wrote:
None of the ROG AIOs have a custom backplate; they all use the standard AM4/AM5 backplate supplied with the motherboard (as do all standard Asetek-type coolers). I can see there's a different set of standoffs (with a spacer that is installed in a different orientation for AM4 vs AM5) shown in the updated Ryujin manual, and Asetek also seem to be selling a slightly different mounting kit to update older coolers, but I'm not entirely clear on why that's necessary. AMD seemed to be saying that the Z height was engineered to be the same for AM5, and the cooler bolt pattern/spacing is the same, so it's kinda weird that there's some very small change in the standoffs and spacers. I'm confused why there's any change in the mounting kits, to be honest.

And yes, to be clear, any AMD cooler that replaces the motherboard's CPU backplate will need an updated kit for AM5; but that's not the case here.

Good point about the Ryujin not using a custom backplate, I missed that 🙂 I have no idea what's up with it the news article on Asus' website... It would have been nice to be able to get some answers from Asus/ROG about this as it's not optimal to purchase a relatively expensive AIO just to find out you have to wait for some extra hardware for AM5 compatibility 😕

Just in case anyone stumbles into this thread - I can confirm that the Ryujin II works fine with the new AM5 socket. As mentioned by Murph_9000 since the Ryujin doesn't use a custom backplate, it's able to mount on the non-removable backplate of the AM5 motherboards. I don't think there were specific AM5 standoffs - the label on the standoffs might have been AM4/AM5, but I don't quite remember.

@nikolapdev thanks for posting this, I am upgrading from AM4 using Ryujin II 240 to the a new AM5 mobo/CPU, specifically the Asus X570E Creator Edition. So what you and @Murph_9000 mentioned above makes sense as the hole pattern and Z-axis are the same. So I have not worked with AM5 before, I see in some install vids like for example the Ryuo III that comes w/ AM5 kit, to remove the black clips surrounding the stock AM5 socket and replace w/ ones Asus supplies. In my case would I remove those black clips and instead just thread the existing Asus-supplied standoffs I used on my AM4 build with the Ryujin II and thread them into the AM5 board and proceed as before? No new plastic clips are needed if re-using the old standoffs I assume? 

The 2 plastic clips are only for using AMD's own/default mounting mechanism, where the cooler has two clips/hooks onto them.  The Ryujin bolts directly onto the 4 bolt holes surrounding the socket, so those clips are not required (and would obstruct the standoffs).  There does seem to be some tiny difference with the Asetek mounting between AM4 and AM5, which I don't fully understand.  Some info out there says the Z height is the same, so AM4 mounts that use the standard AMD backplate (which the default clips are bolted to) should just work on AM5.  Despite that, Asetek and various other cooler manufacturers have updated their mounting kits and seem to have some extremely small difference in Z height between the two.

You might be able to get an updated mounting kit from ASUS support, or Asetek sell one that you can get from Amazon.  The Ryujin is an Asetek-derived cooler, so there's no difference between getting a mounting kit from ASUS or Asetek (ASUS almost certainly supply an identical kit).  Asetek part number 35-150-1000056 is the updated AM4/AM5 kit, and they sell them on Amazon.

Ignore everything about mounting the Ryuo III.  It's an Asetek 8th generation, with a major change to the mounting mechanism.  The Ryujin II is 7th generation, and uses the original Asetek ring-type mount.  The latest Ryujin II 240 Manual shows the new AM4/AM5 variation in the mounting on page 13, with some sort of reversible washer or surround thing (I'm not quite sure exactly what to call it) on each of the 4 standoffs.

Thanks so much for the detailed info! Wish I had asked earlier this week so I could build the PC this afternoon, but I am going to play it safe and ordered the Asetek kit on Amazon. At least it arrives Sunday so hopefully I could have it up and running soon enough.