cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 MoBo with Hyper M.2 X16 Card RAID- HELP!

Jahmen
Level 7
READING THE BUILD SUGGESTIONS INFORMATION TO POST

HERE GOES: Okay, I already have I think everything I need for the BUILD
And I have already managed to put it together, with some exceptions of a few component/ software issues.
Also problem with the BIOS Configuring for the MoBo VROC Key RAID 10 on CPU setup.

The Budget $5,000 and under
Business and Gaming
MY BUILD: Hardware List of what I have. I can put in the Product Numbers if it will help. Let me know.
PC CASE: CORSAIR Graphite Series 780T Full-Tower Case (White) x3 Fans Included
COST: $ 200
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI Extreme Encore x299 Motherboard
COST: $ 750
MOTHERBOARD COMPONENT: INTEL VROC Hardware Key VROCISSDMOD P/N: 90MC06P0-MOUAY0
COST: $ 145
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR HXi Series, HX1200i, 1200 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular - Digital Power Supply
COST: $ 250
CPU COOLER: DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX, Addressable RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, Anti-Leak ASUS x3 Fans
COST: $ 125
PROCESSOR: INTEL i9-10920x 3.5 GHz 19.25.MB Cache LGA 2066 Processor 12 Cores & 24 Threads
COST: $ 750
RAM MEMORY: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB) 3200MHz 288-Pin DR4 SDRAM DDR4
COST: $ 300
STORAGE: INTEL x2 (Two) Pro 7600p M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKKF010T8X1 Form Factor: M.2 2280 Capacity: 1TB
COST: $ 485
GRAPHICS CARD: ASUS DUAL Ge Force RTX 2080 Ti DirectX 12 DUAL -RTX2080TI-O11G 11GB SLI
CONTROLLER CARD: ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2 P/N: 90MC06P0-MOUAY0
COST: $ 60
STORAGE: INTEL x4 (Four) Pro 7600p M.2 2280 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKKF256G8X1 Form Factor: M.2 2280 Capacity: P/CODE: SSDPEKKF010G8X1256GB MM#: 963304 VERSION#: J83887-101
COST: $ 395
OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL 64bit OS Software
COST: $ 200
MONITOR(S): ASUS x3 (Three) PRO-ART 1920 X 1200 Native 60Hz
COST: $ 750 From Former PC TOWER BUILD
DVD/ CD: SAMSUNG x2 (Two) DVD/CD Player/ Rec Model: C8192A and Model: BD-C5500/XAA
COST: $ 150 From former PC TOWER BUILD
FANS: Fan: 120mm Silent
COST: $ 20 From former PC TOWER BUILD

After getting everything put together, I'm still stuck on getting the required Intel HD Key module for the VROC key RAID 10 on CPU to work.

ASUS SUPPORT: Motherboard RAID Configuration Guide: 1.1.4 Intel R) Virtual RAID on CPU in UEFI BIOS Steps.

BASICALLY THEY GO LIKE THIS:

How to create VROC HD RAID 10:

Enter BIOS during POST and Go to Boot menu -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Launch CSM -> [Disable] and your get this Notice message.

Notice
Due to Microsoft Secure Boot regulations, ensure the Microsoft signed UEFI driver is contained in the plugged PCI-E based storages including M.2 SSD before set the Launch CSM to [Disabled]. Otherwise, the PCI-E based storages will be only available for the data drive usage. Contact the PCI-E storage vendor for the UEFI driver availability details.

Okay, I don't how to check if I have the signed UEFI driver or not. So, I ask ASUS Support how to check that first to make sure.
So, without posting any of the drama of ASUS Support, I've been stuck for weeks.
I'm not looking to criticize ASUS Support, I'm just saying that for whatever reasons I'm really stuck.

All I can think of to do is post. here in the FORUM hoping someone else already knows this stuff and can help.

Then Go to Advanced -> CPU Storage Configuration -> set the PCIE slot(s) that installed the Hyper M.2 x16 card to [Hyper M.2 x16] (PCIE Slot 1 X16 X8 )

Okay, I did that.

Save changes by pressing F10 and exist the BIOS and restart and return to BIOS again

Okay, Did that.

It never boots back around into the BIOS. It just hangs in POST on a Memory Test. So I use the FLASH-Back button to reset the BIOS back.

Go to Advanced -> Intel(R) Virtual Raid on CPU From the Intel Virtual Raid on CPU menu, select Create RAID Volume and press .

Okay, here I ran into another Problem: I had seen the Intel(R) Virtual Raid on CPU at the bottom of the Advance screen tab.
After setting the CSM to Disabled and setting the PCIEX16_1 to Hyper M.2X16(VROC) and then exit to save.
Remember it had hung on the Memory POST Test: And I had to use the Flashback button to reset the CMOS to get back into a boot to BIOS mode..
I don't see the Intel(R) Virtual Raid on CPU screen selection at the bottom anymore. It's gone!

GET WHY I AM STUCK NOW? I LOOKED AT THE REST OF THE STEPS:

When the Name item is selected, enter a name for the RAID set and press
Okay, I looked at that and the Name Screen already had a Volume0 in it. You can't change the Name.

When the RAID Level item is select, select RAID 10 to create and then press
Okay, I looked at that as well and it was fairly straight forward step. Drop down menu and select RAID10

When the Enable RAID Spanned over VMD Controllers item is selected, press and select X to enable this function.
Okay, I saw how that is set. No worries there

Under Select Disks, press and select X for the disks you want to include in the RAID set.

Okay, I saw that step and easy to do. It lists the M.2 SSD on the Hyper Card plainly to see and X Select them

When the Strip Size item is selected, press and select 64KB and press
Okay, saw it ans it looks easy to do. 64KB seemed the Default.

When the Capacity (MB) item is selected, enter the RAID volume capacity that you want and press .
The default value indicates the maximum allowed capacity

Okay, I guess I will set it to MAX Default.

When the Create Volume item is selected, press Enter to create the RAID volume and return to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology menu
Okay, it seemed to me as if we do the RAID Volume step Twice. I assumed we need to do that because RAID1Mirror step and then the RAID0. for the striped step for a RAID 10? Guessing here.

THE GOOD NEWS:
I know after we set up the BIOS we BIOS EXIT to USB for the Windows 10 64bit installation.
And we do the Custom install Advanced steps.
We format the RAID to GPT. I believe we set the RAID to spanned and then go on and finish the Win10 install.

I had other BIOS Questions: Like shouldn't we set the Boot \ Secure boot : Windows UEFI mode? or leave it on Other OS

Intel sent me the RSTe VROC driver & app file download link. I'm suppose to use it in the Windows setup disk management step .
I'm worried because it didn't say it was for Win10, but for Win8 in the details and release notes.
Intel Doesn't have anything for the HD Key Product Number of my Key listed either.
I tried to find what HD Key Intel sold for the MoBo, but intel doesn't have anything for x299 boards listed under support or compatibility lists.
Nobody at Intel seem to know exactly how to support my HD Key for the RAID 10 setup. Some say the driver is for the BIOS, Others say Windows.
Go do crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here!
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
I never had any success with creating VROC raid in BIOS and getting it to boot. I thought I had PMd you the F6 drivers where you boot from the USB then unstall the two F6 drivers and works like a charm. They have them on Winraid or if you need a copy PM me. Also install IRSTe drivers and software after boot and OS install. Getting the info out of ASUS or intel is like pulling teeth took me 6 months. As VROC was the main reason i went with the ASUS X299, They got into a finger pointing game and after they found out the VROCISSDMOD key was the one the price went through the roof. I bought 3 of them for $8.99 each before they finally ponied up and said this is it. It was on the to be discontinued list and now you pay through the nose for them. Still sitting on 3 brand new in the box that I got for $8.99 Go back in the X299 section near the beginning and there us a step by step.

BigJohnny wrote:
I never had any success with creating VROC raid in BIOS and getting it to boot. I thought I had PMd you the F6 drivers where you boot from the USB then unstall the two F6 drivers and works like a charm. They have them on Winraid or if you need a copy PM me. Also install IRSTe drivers and software after boot and OS install. Getting the info out of ASUS or intel is like pulling teeth took me 6 months. As VROC was the main reason i went with the ASUS X299, They got into a finger pointing game and after they found out the VROCISSDMOD key was the one the price went through the roof. I bought 3 of them for $8.99 each before they finally ponied up and said this is it. It was on the to be discontinued list and now you pay through the nose for them. Still sitting on 3 brand new in the box that I got for $8.99 Go back in the X299 section near the beginning and there us a step by step.

I haven't even made it to the Windows10 installation step to try what you sent me for the IRSTe driver & software steps.
OH, before I forget again, was that for a Win10 64bit OS? All I got from Intel or ASUS was VROC Win8 64bit.
Oh and other posts said the Win8 RSTe/ VROC driver & app isn't compatible with Win10. SHEESH!
I'm into this VROC RAID 10 key thing a bit over 7 weeks now.

I am stuck on the BIOS first 2 steps to the F10 Exit & Save to reboot back into the BIOS step because of the system stalls in the POST.
So, I can't complete the remaining setup steps to exit BIOS to USB Win10 Installation, Custom/ Advanced steps.

I don't know if the problem is the CSM [disabled] NOTICE Due to Microsoft Secure Boot regulations, ensure the Microsoft signed UEFI driver is contained in the plugged PCI-E based storages including M.2 SSD before set the Launch CSM to [Disabled].
Otherwise, the PCI-E based storages will be only available for the data drive usage. Contact the PCI-E storage vendor for the UEFI driver availability details.

Because I don't know how to check if the Microsoft signed UEFI driver is contained in the plugged PCI-E based storages including M.2 SSD before I set the Launch CSM to [Disabled]. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I asked ASUS Support. They have not provided a reply that addresses this problem.

Or maybe the VROC Key module ASUS support sent me the Amazon link to purchase, isn't right. Cost me $ 135.00
Online Intel Product Support couldn't ID it by the Serial Number that it came with. I plugged it in.

I did find VROC keys listed in the Intel Store. But it took me some really weird steps to find my way to the Stores listed VRCO key modules.
Even the VROC Key modules I did find in the store, had no compatibility crossover list for x299 boards.
Everything the Store I had found for VROC Keys was about their compatibility with Intel boards.

I'm beginning to doubt if Intel or ASUS support knows exactly what Intel VROC HD Key Module is for the ROG Rampage VI x299 boards.

I'm scared to say that the October release of the ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 Motherboard has virtually NO support for its RAID Key configurations.

Jahmen
Level 7
I tried using my USB 8GB stick with my downloaded BIOS R6EE.cap files. to restore the BIOS back.
Here is the link. . .
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Rampage-VI-Extreme-Encore/HelpDesk_Download
It takes you to the ASUS Driver & Tools or BIOS & Firmware Download choices, specifically for the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore motherboard model.
Click on the Please select OS and chose the WINDOWS 10 64bit or other OS you have. But with this MoBo You should be using Win10 64-bit

I've provided the UEFI BIOS Versions available Info to Date: 2/26/2020

I used the Flashback button and designated USB port used to Update the BIOS. Seemed if it could update, it could also be used to Restore a BIOS.
I had managed to restore the BIOS before with ASUS Support agent help when the boot to BIOS stopped. Too bad we switched switches and pushed buttons, jumped the jumper, and Cleared the CMOS so many different ways and times that I lost track of it all.
Yeah I know
So, I removed all the hardware but for a single RAM stick. and successfully like before reloaded the BIOS.
But here was the catch. I couldn't get the updated 0504 version to load. So, I went back and tried the original 0401 version the board came with.
Yep! It loaded successfully! I put back the RAM and tried to boot, But the BIOS still hung in POST. Added the Graphics Card, still hung in POST.
Put back the Motherboard SSD's with OS. Still booted into hung POST.
Then I updated to the 0504 version successfully. Still hanging in POST. Yep I'm stumped!

Then I got a new hung POST message to Check CPU after several failed tries to boot to BIOS.
Yep! the CPU Cooler head was HOTTER than usual.
So, with the Cooler CPU head Light going out weeks before and now a Check CPU and finding it hotter than ever before, I figured the CPU COOLER pump stopped working too.

Any recommendations for replacing the 360EX Deep Cool?

Jahmen
Level 7
INTEL Online Warranty & Product Support
When I got the 1st VROC HD Key from Amazon, I tried to check the Warranty and Product Support using the Product Key Serial Number, It didn't work.
X Your Product could not be located.

I contacted Amazon Support about the Intel VROC HD Key I'd purchased from them to report that Intel Online Support and Warranty failed to recognize the keys serial number.
They send me a replacement Key in like 3 days.
While talking to Intel Support, it occurred to me that maybe what looked like a #1 was maybe instead a capital I in the serial number.
I retried my first Amazon Key with I instead of 1. Nope still didn't work!

When I got the 2nd Amazon replacement key, I tried the new key & Serial Number.

In the Intel Online: Check your warranty coverage screen;
Product Type: {Other Intel Product}
In the next screen over, Serial Number: {QSVC729I0***} using letter I and not 1
In the next screen, Stocking ID/Part#: {J55733- 100} Using Version#.
CLICK on the[Check Product] button
A new screen comes up showing me,
Serial Number: QSVC729I0***I
Stocking ID/Part#: J55733- 100
Estimated Warranty Expiration: April 28,2025

At the bottom of the Warranty screen: [Request Support for selected Product] Button
CLICK the button:
and that takes us to Request Support screen 3 steps.
So, I try to use the Request Support (Figuring to use it to navigate to the key's Download drivers & software) What Product or service do you need support for?
1. I need help with:
2. How would you like to find your product or service?
3. Identify your product: It uses the same Product Type: Serial Number: & Stocking ID/Part #: screens the same as the one in the Warranty.

How can the INTEL Online Warranty screen validate my product serial number and give me the Estimated Warranty Expiration: April 28, 2025 and then when I on click the link button to the [Request support for selected product] the Warranty link screen carries over my Product Key information into the Identify your product screens. Same as the Warranty Screens.

So, then when I Click the [Check Product] button
X Product not found. Check the information you provided and try again, or create a support request for help identifying this product.

Both have and use the same product information screens. Warranty see's my key and Product Support does not. Why?

Yes, wanting to know why I fill out the Intel support request ticket. Maybe they will answer and I can find out.