cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus Xi Hero & 570x

Daniel256512
Level 7
Hi guys,
I just bought a 570x and an Asus Maximus XI hero. Ive tried to install this board into this case multiple times and cannot get the standoffs on the case to align besides from forcing the IO ports, and even then it’s a off and doesn’t feel right. This board comes with a pre-installed IO shield and I’m not sure if I need to snap it into the frame like a normal IO shield or just lean it up against the frame??? It doesn’t look like it can be snapped in, it seems as if you just align the board with the frame. Ive researched so much about pre-installed IO shields but cannot find any guides and it doesn’t seem like you’re supposed to!! Have I damaged my board constantly trying??
I haven’t forced anything, only the standoffs may have moved around the pcb at the bottom of the board. * Any help would be so much appreciated!! Manuals that come with both case and board are generic and actually mention installing IO shield first!
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The integrated IO shield should simply fit flush with the chassis, it does not need to be forced or clipped in. Can you confirm which case you're using?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The integrated IO shield should simply fit flush with the chassis, it does not need to be forced or clipped in. Can you confirm which case you're using?

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I’m using a Corsair 570x. I have tried just aligning the board with the IO frame
It looks like it fits perfectly but doesn’t align at all with the centre standoff, or any of the standoffs for that matter.
I can kinda force the board in the direction of the IO shield which I’m then able to see the standoff holes, but they’re not aligned enough to be screwed in.**Is there something extra I need to do with Asus boards as I’ve heard about the IO shields of could it just be a bad board?

Daniel256512 wrote:
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I’m using a Corsair 570x. I have tried just aligning the board with the IO frame
It looks like it fits perfectly but doesn’t align at all with the centre standoff, or any of the standoffs for that matter.
I can kinda force the board in the direction of the IO shield which I’m then able to see the standoff holes, but they’re not aligned enough to be screwed in.**Is there something extra I need to do with Asus boards as I’ve heard about the IO shields of could it just be a bad board?

I'd be more inclined to say the problem is with the chassis. You may need to apply a small amount of pressure from the right hand-side of the board in order to align the stand offs whilst screwing in. This is normal for most motherboard installations.

If you're worried you'll damage something, perhaps take them to a system integrator if one is local enough and get them to install the motherboard for you.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
I'd be more inclined to say the problem is with the chassis. You may need to apply a small amount of pressure from the right hand-side of the board in order to align the stand offs whilst screwing in. This is normal for most motherboard installations.

If you're worried you'll damage something, perhaps take them to a system integrator if one is local enough and get them to install the motherboard for you.

Hi,*

Thanks for your reply!!

I’ll add pressure to the right (towards the IO) as it is quite springy on the IO plate. This is normal ?**

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
There needs to be a bit of tolerance there, but it should sit flush.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
There needs to be a bit of tolerance there, but it should sit flush.

Is this a new thing with the pre-installed IO shields?? Other people have told me it will align but no “clip in” is required like the past. Just align with case’s IO frame and then push towards the IO frame and align stand offs, this sound right to you?

Daniel256512 wrote:
Is this a new thing with the pre-installed IO shields?? Other people have told me it will align but no “clip in” is required like the past. Just align with case’s IO frame and then push towards the IO frame and align stand offs, this sound right to you?

Hi,

The only difference with "the past" is the I/O shield, the installation method remains the same :

Legacy motherboard + I/O shield :

1) Clip the I/O shield to the case to the location of the I/O shield.
2) Check the correspondence of the installed standoffs (if preinstalled) with the holes provided on the motherboard, and rectify accordingly.
3) Push the motherboard towards the I/O shield until you feel a resistance while sticking the motherboard towards the standoffs once the holes of the motherboard and the standoffs are aligned.
4) Screw.

Motherboard with I/O shield preinstalled :

1) Check the correspondence of the installed standoffs (if preinstalled) with the holes provided on the motherboard, and rectify accordingly.
2) Push the motherboard towards the location of the I/O shield until you feel a resistance while sticking the motherboard to the standoffs once the holes of the motherboard and the standoffs are aligned.
3) Screw.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

The only difference with "the past" is the I/O shield, the installation method remains the same :

Legacy motherboard + I/O shield :

1) Clip the I/O shield to the case to the location of the I/O shield.
2) Check the correspondence of the installed standoffs (if preinstalled) with the holes provided on the motherboard, and rectify accordingly.
3) Push the motherboard towards the I/O shield until you feel a resistance while sticking the motherboard towards the standoffs once the holes of the motherboard and the standoffs are aligned.
4) Screw.

Motherboard with I/O shield preinstalled :

1) Check the correspondence of the installed standoffs (if preinstalled) with the holes provided on the motherboard, and rectify accordingly.
2) Push the motherboard towards the location of the I/O shield until you feel a resistance while sticking the motherboard to the standoffs once the holes of the motherboard and the standoffs are aligned.
3) Screw.

So it’s perfeftly fine if I sit the motherboard and the pre-installed IO shield fits perfectly but the standoffs are not aligned? And I can fix this by adding force on the right side of the board towards the IO shield (it’s quite springy) and align the stand offs and screw it in? Just wanna note that on some holes in the board I can almost not see the stand offs, is this normal??*

Daniel256512 wrote:
So it’s perfeftly fine if I sit the motherboard and the pre-installed IO shield fits perfectly but the standoffs are not aligned? And I can fix this by adding force on the right side of the board towards the IO shield (it’s quite springy) and align the stand offs and screw it in? Just wanna note that on some holes in the board I can almost not see the stand offs, is this normal??*

As previously explained, the positions of the standoffs must be corrected if they do not correspond to the holes of the motherboard.
Corsair has normally provided you with your case what to unscrew and screw in the right place, it looks like that :

Otherwise try to remove them by hand, if too fixed, use a clamp.