cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA shows no M.2 boot option in BIOS

Nautilus_802D
Level 7
Hello guys!

I´m a first time builder and I really wanted a fast system. I´m currently running two Samsung 1tb 850 EVO SSDs on sata 3 and 4 to avoid any sharing of bandwith. I also run a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 plugged into the socket under the ASUS shield. I´ve also updated the BIOS.

In the "BOOT" section of the BIOS it only presents the two SSDs as booting options. I´ve not tried to install Win10 yet, but I have read online that sometimes the M.2 shows up as an boot option there. Still I find it a bit frustrating that it does not show in the BIOS. Also, I´m installing a Win 10 OEM so I guess I can´t install it on an SSD, update the M.2 and then wipe the SSD and install Win10 on the M.2 because the Win10 OEM is BIOS locked after first install.

Do any of you fine folks know how to get the BIOS to show the M.2?

Thank you so much for any help 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Chino wrote:
Does it show up during your Windows install?

That is the only option I have not tried. I´m waiting for my USB DVD drive to test this, but I was just wondering if it was usual that the BIOS did not detect the M.2 disk in the first place.

Does it show up anywhere (like if you boot from another drive)? Make sure your SSD is inserted all the way in, it should be quite snug when you push it in. And make sure to use the spacer screw under it too or it will be all slanted and wonky. 🙂

bn880 wrote:
Does it show up anywhere (like if you boot from another drive)? Make sure your SSD is inserted all the way in, it should be quite snug when you push it in. And make sure to use the spacer screw under it too or it will be all slanted and wonky. 🙂

Now I´ve got Win10 install running on an external USB DVD drive. Win install only shows the two SSDs and not the M.2 I tried to install NVME drivers from Samsung, but win tells me the following "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, then click OK"

A bit frustrating 😉

Nautilus_802D wrote:
Now I´ve got Win10 install running on an external USB DVD drive. Win install only shows the two SSDs and not the M.2 I tried to install NVME drivers from Samsung, but win tells me the following "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, then click OK"

A bit frustrating 😉

Was it an UEFI install?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im a bit confused over exactly what M2 drive you are running. There is no 860 EVO. So is this a 960 evo or 850 evo?

You must have an OS installed or at least BCD partition on the other drives if its showing as a viable boot drive. That part has nothing to do with whether or not the drive is working, its whats on it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Im a bit confused over exactly what M2 drive you are running. There is no 860 EVO. So is this a 960 evo or 850 evo?

You must have an OS installed or at least BCD partition on the other drives if its showing as a viable boot drive. That part has nothing to do with whether or not the drive is working, its whats on it.

Oh I´m so sorry. I´m currently running a M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 250gb. I´ve also got two 1tb 850 EVOs.

Right now I´ve installed Win10 on one of the 850 EVOs. I then tried to install the drivers for the 960 EVO M.2, but it dos not detect any M.2 at all and won´t install the driver. Then I tried to install the Samsung Magician Software to see if that detected the drive, but it did not find the M.2-drive.

My plan was to identify the M.2 with the magician software, and then migrate the Win10 OS from the 850 EVO to the 960 EVO.

So I´m a bit lost trying to identify the 960 EVO. It was securely attached and also fastened with the mobo-screw. I´t cant go any further in.