cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Graphics Card Holder

Spindlwood
Level 7
My Maximus z690 Formula came with the ROG Graphics Card Holder which is shown in the photo below. Obviously, that is not my card or motherboard, just a photo from the web - but I have it installed this way with my Tuf 3080 ti. I also have the Phankeks P600s GPU Anti-Sag Bracket installed (it is a screwed in bracket which tightens / sandwiches the metal foot of the GPU to the frame of the case so it can't move..

I'm curious if anyone else uses the ROG magnetic holder as well? My only thoughts are that the holder doesn't have anything that absolutely fixes it in place (e.g. screws, zip tie) except the magnet which holds it to the floor of the case. The holder is also wedged in place between the card and the case floor (it has a rubber tip on the end touching the GPU). I don't care how it looks.

After building a 6k machine my OCD paranoid self can briefly imagine the remote possibility of the ROG Graphics Card Holder somehow coming loose and shorting out the $700 motherboard and $2000 GPU. Of course, in order for this to happen, there would have to be a 7.0 earthquake centered under my house or me on drugs placing the case on it side and shaking it frantically. Even then it shouldn't come loose.

It just seems odd that it has nothing but a magnet holding it in place. Just curious if anyone else uses it. Joking aside, it's actually a pretty simple and effective solution. I had to remove a plastic cover off the floor of the Phanteks case for it to fit, but it works well - especially combined with the case's solution.

2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
I suppose it doesn't have anything more to hold it because it's intended to be universal. Not all cases have something in that exact location that you can screw into and you can't make the holder attach to a fixed location on the card because that also might not work with the case. You might need to move it toward the middle of the card or even just slightly to one side and you couldn't if it was fixed.

The good news/bad news is that if your PC gets a jolt bad enough to send the support flying, you have bigger issues like the GPU ripping the slot off of the motherboard.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I suppose it doesn't have anything more to hold it because it's intended to be universal. Not all cases have something in that exact location that you can screw into and you can't make the holder attach to a fixed location on the card because that also might not work with the case. You might need to move it toward the middle of the card or even just slightly to one side and you couldn't if it was fixed.

The good news/bad news is that if your PC gets a jolt bad enough to send the support flying, you have bigger issues like the GPU ripping the slot off of the motherboard.

That all makes sense. It's new to me trusting in magnets and I can be good with that. I considered using double sided velcro to tether it, but probably won't ever get around to it. Thanks for the reply.