cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Crosshair x670E memory controller

sgunes
Level 8
Looks like the "invisible post" issue has been fixed. Thanks admin.
My issue is with the memory controller.
I am wondering if anyone here has been able to run 4 sticks (128 GB) at speeds faster than 4800 MHz.
If you have been successful, please let us know your exact memory model and all settings.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Test
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

xeromist
Just to clarify: there is no memory controller on the motherboard. The memory controller is on the CPU.
For memory+motherboard compatibility, please review the QVL on your motherboard's support page. Note that kits are validated as sold. Running multiple kits from the QVL is not supported.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Note that kits are validated as sold. Running multiple kits from the QVL is not supported.

A few things on that statement could use some clarity, if you don't mind:

1. Does that mean I can't, for instance, take two of the same, exact kit, and place them on the motherboard and expect support? Meaning if I buy two of a supported 2 x 16GB kit and shoot for 64GB, I'm not supported?

2. The online QVL for this board lists a BUNCH of DIMM kits that are listed as "for Intel motherboards". I'd assume they'd just work on an AMD chipset, but it's concerning nonetheless.

Thanks
System specs: click here.

jasonvp wrote:
A few things on that statement could use some clarity, if you don't mind:

1. Does that mean I can't, for instance, take two of the same, exact kit, and place them on the motherboard and expect support? Meaning if I buy two of a supported 2 x 16GB kit and shoot for 64GB, I'm not supported?

Correct. More DIMMs are harder on the memory controller, hence more difficult to run at rated spec, even if they are the same model. QVL shows validations for a single kit (however many sticks that kit contains), nothing more. It *may* work, but it hasn't been validated.

jasonvp wrote:
2. The online QVL for this board lists a BUNCH of DIMM kits that are listed as "for Intel motherboards". I'd assume they'd just work on an AMD chipset, but it's concerning nonetheless.

Thanks

A memory manufacturer might release kits that they have designed and tested for Intel (or AMD). As a result they may work for a broader selection of those targeted motherboards without independent validation. The ASUS QVL is based on testing by ASUS staff on the motherboard in question, so the original marketing by the memory maker isn't particularly relevant.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Braegnok
Level 14
sgunes wrote:
Looks like the "invisible post" issue has been fixed. Thanks admin.
My issue is with the memory controller.
I am wondering if anyone here has been able to run 4 sticks (128 GB) at speeds faster than 4800 MHz.
If you have been successful, please let us know your exact memory model and all settings.
Thanks.

If you want to overclock 128 GB RAM with X670E system,.. 2x64GB kit might be a better option.

Personally I would try this Kingston 2x64GB kit, go for stable EXPO Profile 1 @ 4800,.. than manually adjust, see what shakes out.

Kingston Fury Beast KF548C38BBK2-64 128GB 2x64GB DDR5 4800Mhz kit,.. frequency will run @ 3660Mhz in default settings.

I gave up running 4 sticks as nobody anywhere (overclockers and other forums) replied that they have been able to run 4 sticks faster than 4800. I settled for 2x32GB running G.Skill at 6000 32-38-38-96-146. It is stable but I wished that the board runs at the "best" 6000 speed with 4 sticks.

Could you get 4 sticks for a total of 256 GB running on this board or are we just starting to be able to run 4 x 48GB sticks?