cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO and DDR4 3000MHz RAM

MeanMachine
Level 13
My board and Ryzen 7 1800X CPU have arrived however, I couldn't get the RAM I ordered at 2666Mhz x 16GB CMD16GX4M2A2666C15
Does anyone know or tried if these would work: CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 as 3000MHz are not tested and listed on the QVL.
Do I have to take the risk and modify timings in Bios.?
Also does the current Beta Bios 5704 work.?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]
13 REPLIES 13

MeanMachine
Level 13
Thanks for sharing your results Goodmane. HaHa you mentioned 3rd world. I live in Australia and max internet is still ADSL1- 7-8 Mbps. No fiber as yet here. lol

Man you have put some work into this and some good results Goodmane 🙂 It will take some time to sort out best RAM combination and Bios. Hopefully in a couple of weeks so i'm going to bide my time and save the frustration till best Bios is available.

Everything is pointing to a winner with Ryzen 7 1800 X once games and drivers are fully optimized.

I want to watch all your Vids testing with Elite Dangerous.(Tomorrow) Never played it but looks good.
Definite game optimization required in Mass Effect 3. Noticed lots of game lags when CPU usage at 100%.

Interesting comparison in Cinebench R15 between the i7 4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz ($800 retail) scores: 822 CPU count.
Ryzen 7 1800x scores: 1780 CPU count ($499 retail)

Keep up the good work cause i'm sick and tired of some of the BS reviews and comments I've seen.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I know your frustration 😄 3 months ago I was using 6Mbps DSL too 😄

I updated Document; Added new bios OC log, wrote down the bios version for Overclocks, added current speed of CPU and RAM.
I don't want to mess around too much If I have to be honest. But as you can see with the BIOS 0902 RAM became much more stable. Still not 3000Mhz though.
Still Cinebench scores are not that bad. Only 13-14 Difference from the score I got with 2985Mhz RAM which I couldn't replicate again 😄
System boots without any issue now and no random resets when system is underload. Used to have issues when I increased speed of RAM above 2600Mhz, random resets,0d or other RAM related Q codes.

About Benchmarks; I need to write a few things in order to properly clarify why is stuff happening as it does, because it's varies a lot, it is the reason of multiple things together. Also People are going to come out and say that I wasn't fair to Intel CPU, because Elite uses 26% CPU even when the game is idle and nothing was happening. So allow me to share my experience with streaming, and maybe why I used that as benchmark.

I don't care about just gaming Benchmarks. Because that's not why I've bought this CPU. But I hate the fact that non of the reviewers know how to stream, or what option does what when it comes to streaming. Some even think frame dropping is related to CPU.

TL:DR - I can't help you understand if you don't.

Streaming
Encoding The quality of the stream depends on 2 things as far as I can see. First bitrate; It's the amount of data you are sending depends on your internet connection. More bits you send higher the stream quality is. To explain how bitrate works; Bit-Rate like, how much bit you are sending. So if you are streaming 3000Bitrate at 720p 30 FramePerSecond (Picture-PerSecond) each Picture has to be fitted inside 300bits. More bits a picture has, less pixelization happens (Huge chuky pixel that happens when fast moving objects appear etc).

That's where the encoding comes in, Encoding in simplest terms = winRAR/WinZIP. It compress images so those big blocky pixels won't appear. And compression uses CPU power. You can use Nvidia NVEC hardware encoding, or other stuff. But with a CPU like Ryzen R7 1800X they can't match the quality of the CPU (Software) encoding. All those videos you see are recorded with 1710 Bitrate. Maximum I can do with my internet.

But encoding is bound more then 1 thing; Resolution, Bitrate and FPS. The amount of pixels it has to process and which pixel to process or not etc. before image is sent. So if your CPU hits 100% and can't get the frames ready to send before it's time, you won't be sending any frames. Here's the surprise to common knowledge, if there are no frames to send, it doesn't count as dropped frames. Because there are no frames to drop. The audio will keep going without getting cut off. But image will be like 1080p Mass Effect Stream, slideshow. It's not related to Mass Effect 3 not being optimized.

But Game was fine even though CPU hit 100% . I was still getting 60FPS in the game.

Elite uses 26% CPU at idle, Mass Effect is 3-5% ! That is not fare!
Yes it is. In Elite, there are too many "dead" pixels on screen. They don't change at all, you are in space and it's almost always black as you turn your ship around. You are also seeing the same ship panels for most of the time. Pixels at those positions don't change. Almost more then half of the screen is static image. Thus Encoder can use the same part from previous frame and process what's left out with much more ease.

In Mass Effect 3 only stable thing is, those small UI elements, which are semi-transparent and your characters back. Rest of the image is subject to change as you look around. More pixels needed to be processed before an image is ready to send.

In conclusion it's fare to use different games for comparison as long as you know what you are doing 🙂

MeanMachine
Level 13
It would be interesting to see stability test results Goodmane :p. Have you tried Realbench.?

Realbench tests Image editing and heavy multitasking and focuses on single-threaded CPU and memory performance.
Realbench use's Handbrake, focusing on multi-threaded CPU and cache performance. It will test your GPU for rendering capability and uses Realword applications not synthetic algorithms.
Edit: RealBench 2.53b available here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/irkid7s6fv76w2r/RealBench_v2.54b.zip

I have found that if you can pass the stress test in Realbench then your 24/7 stable. Now you have your MB registered you can upload to the Leader board to compare scores with likewise builds.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Just got Q code 55 after Shutting down computer over night. And when I tired to safe boot button on motherboard, while trying to enter bios at safe boot I was getting 0d Q code. It seems memory is only stable at windows.

That's still a synthetic benchmark. If you want to see performance numbers regarding that you can check out YouTubers. They've all done it. I am testing it in real world. I won't be doing any of those things. Trying to launch bunch of programs at the same time while trying to render an image and all that, I'm not going to do that when I'm using the computer. Who does that?

Streaming Game play footage, playing music, having 10+ tabs open on browser. Maybe switching games while streaming. But It's no where near trying to launch that many programs. That's real world usage. If you are rendering videos I can't help you. That's not what I do. Cinebench is just there because It's a short test with 100% CPU usage to see if this work for near future.

Also Topic here was about RAM, there is a whole overclocking section. So I'll stop posting the updates from now on.