cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO and DDR4 3000MHz RAM

MeanMachine
Level 13
My board and Ryzen 7 1800X CPU have arrived however, I couldn't get the RAM I ordered at 2666Mhz x 16GB CMD16GX4M2A2666C15
Does anyone know or tried if these would work: CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 as 3000MHz are not tested and listed on the QVL.
Do I have to take the risk and modify timings in Bios.?
Also does the current Beta Bios 5704 work.?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]
13 REPLIES 13

Goodmane
Level 9
I'm currently using G.Skill RipJaws 5 3000Mhz CL15 RAM on my Crosshair VI. And even though most things work with Bios update 5704 my RAM's are not supported.
I'm not going to write everything I did but It took me 2 hours to make the RAM's run at 2985Mhz . If I just use XMP Profile settings system doesn't even boot. And Later I've found out even that was unstable. Dialed back down to 2600 Mhz now. I'm waiting for another bios update to get more support and better optimization.
I just ran 7hours of Prime95 CPU Stress Test. Don't know if it's going to crash as soon as I launch a game though. Will let you know.

Goodmane wrote:
I'm currently using G.Skill RipJaws 5 3000Mhz CL15 RAM on my Crosshair VI. And even though most things work with Bios update 5704 my RAM's are not supported.
I'm not going to write everything I did but It took me 2 hours to make the RAM's run at 2985Mhz . If I just use XMP Profile settings system doesn't even boot. And Later I've found out even that was unstable. Dialed back down to 2600 Mhz now. I'm waiting for another bios update to get more support and better optimization.
I just ran 7hours of Prime95 CPU Stress Test. Don't know if it's going to crash as soon as I launch a game though. Will let you know.

Thanks for responding Goodmane, I decided to go for the 3000Mhz and I can exchange them if I can't get them going. Hopefully the QVL guys will test and optimize the Bios in a timely fashion.
I don't use P95 especially for unattended long runs. Maybe a quick check on small FFTs for 10mins.
I find AIDA64 a better tester as you can test your sub systems. That and HWMonitor give me all I need to know.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

No problem, sorry it took so long I was waiting for approval after registering my motherboard 😄

Temp readings are all over the place. Some people say Ryzen Master program is the most accurate, others say nothing is accurate. I don't know what to believe. My fans go upto 100% when CPU hits 75 C but in Ryzen Master it was showing me 85C, in HWinfo I was getting 90C. I don't know if other programs are updated to work with Ryzen Chipset yet.

Stability was a nightmare for me, I was able to run Cinebench R15 saved my score, I ran CPU-Z benchmarks & 15 mins of CPU-Z Stress test without any issue. I loaded up Mass Effect 3, a game that uses 4-8% CPU at max, Loaded up OBS and Tried to record using VerySlow h264 Preset. It was an instant crash. No BlueScreen or anything like that Q Code 8, some thing about CPU.

So I don't know, you might think it's stable but it might not be. Although it's amazing that I am able to do VerySlow preset after just overclocking CPU from 3.6 to 4 Ghz 😄
Well Waiting for that magic Bios & / or Windows updates. I hope you'll have better luck!

MeanMachine
Level 13
Yes it's going to be interesting comparing notes on this build. If you have time, update your system specs in your profile.
I can't do anything till I have DDR4 RAM, Plenty of DDR3 but that's no good. One thing's for sure, I won't be using any 3rd party software to OC from Windows. I only ever use the Bios for all my settings. A lot of temp packages don't read correctly depending on if they read the MB sensors correctly, so try different ones.
Was that 90C reading you got in P95.? I wouldn't use it nor trust it. Try Realbench, at least that's real world.

You mention Qcode 08 and according to my Bios codes it has something to do with "System agent Initialization after micro code loading" so I think patience is the order of the day as that is Bios in conjunction with the CPU. I can't find much info on it.

My build when finished will be:

Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8*Core Socket AM4 3.6GHz CPU
Antec HCP*850*Platinum Modular PSU 850W High Current Pro Platinum
Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2 SSD
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 DDR4 3000MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID Gaming 8GB Video Card
2 x Corsair ML140 PRO LED 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans
Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Graphite 780T Black Premium Full Tower Case *

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait for it to be distributed on Asus website.
Edit: Updated PC Specs

90C was during Prime 95 Test. But my readings were from HWinfo and/or Ryzen Master. I can't spend my money Aida, I blew all of it on Ryzen 😄 I just hope I can save enough till Vega launches.
I also use bios for OC. HPET never got activated for some reason. Or Ryzen Master doesn't work properly.
Even though Fan speed is same, Temp readings are not stable even at idle. It starts at 58 C, declines down to 50C, then suddenly it jumps back up to 58-59C. It's same on HWinfo and Ryzen Master readings.
I still haven't restarted the system though. Kinda scared to restart it. Since it's working perfectly at 3.95Ghz. Only memory is a bit slow. It's down to 2660 Mhz because it wasn't stable.

Goodman wrote:
90C was during Prime 95 Test. But my readings were from HWinfo and/or Ryzen Master. I can't spend my money Aida, I blew all of it on Ryzen 😄 I just hope I can save enough till Vega launches.
I also use bios for OC. HPET never got activated for some reason. Or Ryzen Master doesn't work properly.
Even though Fan speed is same, Temp readings are not stable even at idle. It starts at 58 C, declines down to 50C, then suddenly it jumps back up to 58-59C. It's same on HWinfo and Ryzen Master readings.
I still haven't restarted the system though. Kinda scared to restart it. Since it's working perfectly at 3.95Ghz. Only memory is a bit slow. It's down to 2660 Mhz because it wasn't stable.

FYI Goodman, Aida64 is free trial software for 1 month. Get the self installing .EXE package.

Also High precision event timer (HPET) if enabled needs a reboot to install the driver. Whether latency improves or not in Windows 10 is anyone's guess, so try it both ways. I don't think Windows 10 uses it by default. There's an app called LatencyMon which checks if a system running Windows is suitable for processing real-time audio and analyzes the possible causes of buffer underruns.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I just checked forum rules again It seems like I can post link for my overclock log. I logged it with pen and paper before saving it all on the google sheets.
Here's the link;
StreamBenchmark/OverclockLog
You can leave comments on the sheet, Don't know if I can respond from there. Maybe it will be much more easier to talk right here.
Although, it seems like the new bios 0902 is out. And it's not a Beta bios. So again thanks for early link for it Arne Saknussemm but It seems like by just waiting 1-2 more days we'll get our hands on non-Beta version of the Bios 🙂
So with the new Bios I need to do my overclocking all over again. And see if my RAM will run at 3000Mhz now. Or at least closer to 3000Mhz. I'll update google docs again after I'm done with it.