cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Advice Needed

panzlock
Level 12
Was going to purchase GeIL white Dragon RAM for new build but suddenly it became popular and shot up in price from $114.99 to $149.99. It's a 16GB 3200Mhz C16 Dual Channel kit. My question is, how beneficial is 3200Mhz RAM? Would I notice a difference between that and lets say......2800Mhz? Or even 2400Mhz? If so, how significant would it be?

Rest of system: Intel i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-A
GTX 1070
SuperNOVA 850 P2
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.
14 REPLIES 14

panzlock
Level 12
UPDATE: Gonna go with G.Skill Aegis 16GB at 2400Mhz. Appears the GeIL White Dragon is special order, non-refundable RAM that will take 4-6 weeks to arrive and I can't wait that long since my daughter is expecting my old PC.

And Nate, I haven't pulled the trigger yet but MSI GAMING X is out, and the ROG Strix has won the honour of becoming my next VGA due to aesthetics, performance and pricing. Still think I'm taking a risk given all the fan issues I'm hearing about but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Suspense is over. Feeling better?

Problem now is my build will be a hodge podge of colours peeking through a modest Dukase side panel window. Have green fan on the Lucifer V2, white ASUS MB, red G.Skill RAM, three 120mm fans with white, red and blue LED's and a black VGA with variable LED lighting. Not to mention the Dukase is black and the monitor is white. Not ideal but the prices were right and the performance boost I'm about to receive over my previous i5-2500K build will be woth the shortcomings.

Nate152
Oh yeah Panzlock that sounds nice, nothing wrong with a multicolor rig. I think you made the right choice going with the ROG Strix 1070, I still don't know why there are so many people reporting issues with the fans mine has worked perfectly since day 1.

If you get one that has Micron memory, updating the vbios is as easy as clicking on a .exe file and helps with memory overclocking, but I'm sure you already know this. 🙂

Nice choice on the G.Skill Ram.

Nate152 wrote:
Oh yeah Panzlock that sounds nice, nothing wrong with a multicolor rig. I think you made the right choice going with the ROG Strix 1070, I still don't know why there are so many people reporting issues with the fans mine has worked perfectly since day 1.

If you get one that has Micron memory, updating the vbios is as easy as clicking on a .exe file and helps with memory overclocking, but I'm sure you already know this. 🙂

Nice choice on the G.Skill Ram.

Agreed. And I also think the Strix Aura lighting will overpower component complexion with it's own ambiance. Not to mention the Lucifer being so big it covers most of the Dukase womb.

My luck means Micron memory. I'd like the Samsung equipped goods but if I'm not mistaken 1070's are no longer built with Samsung, correct? And they just restocked my retailer after Black Friday so if they had any Samsung GDDR5's they're surely gone by now.

I think memory choice is good, too. There is a catch. It is low profile which should accommodate the Lucifer, but the memory modules are lined with what the retail store "expert" called "stickers". Hence overclocking the RAM is not a good idea. Any truth to this? Never had RAM with stickers on the memory modules. He was also pushing Corsair RAM on me so maybe what he was saying was salesman crap to prevent me from going with the cheaper, discounted product.

Nate152
yeah it's good you stuck with G.Skill, price to performance it's hard to beat plus G.Skill ram works great in ROG boards.

Stickers shouldn't hinder the ability to overclock your ram, 1.35v is the max for any DDR4 that is to say I haven't seen any with higher voltage than 1.35v. I overclock my ram and the most I've gone with the voltage is 1.50v, I been running it there for a good while with no problems.

I can't say for sure if they will use samsung memory again or not, I heard there was a shortage of it is why they're now using micron.

Nate152 wrote:
yeah it's good you stuck with G.Skill, price to performance it's hard to beat plus G.Skill ram works great in ROG boards.

Stickers shouldn't hinder the ability to overclock your ram, 1.35v is the max for any DDR4 that is to say I haven't seen any with higher voltage than 1.35v. I overclock my ram and the most I've gone with the voltage is 1.50v, I been running it there for a good while with no problems.

I can't say for sure if they will use samsung memory again or not, I heard there was a shortage of it is why they're now using micron.

Now, should I buy the kit? Or are separate RAM modules alright to go with? Because I found 8GB G.Skill Aegis RAM at 3000Mhz and CL 16 on sale but obviously I'd need to buy two of those.

I don't have a problem with the Micron memory following the VBIOS update. It would just be a nice bonus to be able to overclock the memory as high as some Samsung modules.