cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid 0 2tb 970 Evos. What am I missing?

BairdGoW
Level 7
I have an asus maximus xi formula with 2x 2tb 970 evos in raid 0. I never tested them, but just did, and realized they are nowhere near as fast as advertised. Is this due to me running raid 0 with intel RST? If the performance hit is half of what its capable of Im thinking of moving to just 1 970 evo with no raid.
85559
1,773 Views
9 REPLIES 9

kkn
Level 14
sata or m.2??
do you have enny of the pcie lanes populated exept for the 1 gpu in first?
if so the sataports "may" be using of the pcie lanes on the mobo ( read about it in the manual )
is it onboards raid or software raid?

kkn wrote:
sata or m.2??
do you have enny of the pcie lanes populated exept for the 1 gpu in first?
if so the sataports "may" be using of the pcie lanes on the mobo ( read about it in the manual )
is it onboards raid or software raid?


m.2
I have one elgato capture card in my very top x1 slot. its almost never being used though

kkn
Level 14
take a read in the manual and see what it says.

Thanks man but I'm far past that.

I'm pretty sure its raid 0 and latency issues, any experts on here that are heavily knowledgeable on RAID with M.2s ?

I know that running raid 0 with 2 m.2 drives lowers performance, I'm just curious if raid 1 does the same thing.

yuanyasmine
Level 7
BairdGoW wrote:
I have an asus maximus xi formula with 2x 2tb 970 evos in raid 0. I never tested them, but just did, and realized they are nowhere near as fast as advertised. Is this due to me running raid 0 with intel RST? If the performance hit is half of what its capable of Im thinking of moving to just 1 970 evo with no raid.
85559


Heres the question, how are those M.2 SSD connected to the CPU? If it is direct PCI-Express 3.0 4x slots the performance is low, however if they are going through the PCH (They likely are) which is a single PCI-Express 3.0 4x connection which would give bandwidth to USB, SATA, Ethernet, and probably your M.2 SSD's than that's the best you will get.

yuanyasmine wrote:
Heres the question, how are those M.2 SSD connected to the CPU? If it is direct PCI-Express 3.0 4x slots the performance is low, however if they are going through the PCH (They likely are) which is a single PCI-Express 3.0 4x connection which would give bandwidth to USB, SATA, Ethernet, and probably your M.2 SSD's than that's the best you will get.


They each have their own dedicated pci express 3.0 4x lane. They are however using onboard Intel Rapid Storage Technology as the RAID host. I am almost positive this is the reason (Latency from Intel RST raid), I am hoping someone who knows better than me to verify I am correct.

XYchromosone
Level 10
are the M.2 cards on the DIMM2_1 and DIMM2_2 addon card? or connected to the 2 onboard M.2 slots? If connected to the DIMM.2 addon card make sure to set the UEFI :
Advanced>Onboard Device Configuration>CPU PCIE Configuration Mode> DIMM.2_1 DIMM.2_2

Just a thought.

XYchromosone wrote:
are the M.2 cards on the DIMM2_1 and DIMM2_2 addon card? or connected to the 2 onboard M.2 slots? If connected to the DIMM.2 addon card make sure to set the UEFI :
Advanced>Onboard Device Configuration>CPU PCIE Configuration Mode> DIMM.2_1 DIMM.2_2

Just a thought.


Directly through the onboard slots.

bump