cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QLED flashing Orange in-game: Save me, from this Nightmare!

dailenth91
Level 7
My Computer drives me to the verge of mental Breakdown, it has put my troubleshooting skills to the extent of my limits, and I have still unable to figure out what is wrong with my computer, and why I fail to fix the issue, even official ASUS Support are confused of the behavior from the system, I'm pretty desperate.

The easiest way to explain the situation, the computer has much higher chance freezing in-game, and after a few seconds the QLED starts blinking orange light. The pattern isn't randomized, but it's unpredictable. It may happen within 10 minutes to 2,4 hours of Gameplay/Benchmarking.
You can see the following video for evidence.

Initially, I believed it was my Vega 56 that was causing all the issues, but I was stubborn to find out that wasn't root cause of the problems but something else, and it turns out I was completely right, although the different GPU installed has the crashing pattern inverted, its more likely to crash on desktop rather on GPU load.
So If GPU isn't the issue, I tried trying swapping different components, but it barely made any difference.

The very first attempt I did, is splitting the rails on the power supply, I used two 8pin rails to feed the 16pin needed Graphics card. Later, after suspecting 650W we're not enough to feed this monster, I have upgraded to a BeQuiet Straight Power 11, 850W Platinum power supply, I was hugely disappointed after it didn't fix my issue, regardless of single rail or double rail.

I made some research, people suggested that a lot of AMD driver releases are garbage, so you either look up for older obsolete drivers or wait until AMD patches things up. I tried drivers old and new, and from the Microsoft Update repository, but results remained the same. Later on I suspected, okay maybe the motherboard really tries to tell me something, so I bought a single stick of 4GB RAM, a cheap crappy g.skill 2133mhz to see if the problem remains, and AGAIN I see no different results. I started foaming from my mouth.

I had also a though, perhaps somewhere a component is shorting out, or there is dust inside PCI-E 3.x, or DDR4 slots. So I did everything, I cleaned the whole motherboard, double checked for any corrosion, cleaned the AM4 slot thoroughly, checked for any bent pins, cleaned cpu lid & pins, and from the looks of it the motherboard looks fine, except a small patch in the back that removed some of the glossy finish from the motherboard. I remember sticking a small double-sided velcro to attach the fan controller, far, far away from any important components onto the naked PCB. I later removed that tape and used isopropyl alcohol to remove the remaining glue. But that can't be the root cause of the problems, manufactures also attach stickers on the back, so there is no way that was the cause.

I even went as far to remove most of the mounts in-case something was shorting it out, but that didn't really fixed the issue.
ASUS support suggested an RMA, so I need to contact the retailer about this, but I doubt they will find what's wrong with the motherboard, the freezes happen in very strange pattern, it could be 10 minutes or 4 hours before eventually it freezes. You can never expect when it will happen. I don't run any overclock setups, even with or without DOCP nothing makes a difference. I also run the latest bios.

So, I also had the chance to try Linux. It's a great operating system, but I don't like it and I can't use it. However, I was baffled that, 10+ hours of stress-testing, It didn't froze once. So I was shocked to have to thought, Was Windows 10 the root cause? Hell, even Windows 7 had the exact same behavior!
Although, the next day using, sometimes it freezes for no reason, but the light isn't blinking??? And again sometimes, I commanded a restart, and QLED blinks orange before restarting?!?! Why, WHY, WHY?!!?

HELP ME.

Btw, I know windows uses DirectX as the default API, and Linux OpenGL & Vulkan. When I play on Windows, the GPU tachometer stays static in the middle, and when I use OpenGL it functions as it should..

XML Exports from Event Viewer:

-
-

0x8000400000000002

System
DESKTOP-2E48NSQ

-
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
false
false
false

-
-

0x80000000000000

System
DESKTOP-2E48NSQ

-
3:53:11 AM
‎5/‎30/‎2020

E407050006001E00030035000B00C402E407050006001E000A0035000B00C402600900003C000000010000006009000001000000B004000001000000909DFFFF

System Specifications:
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 [Stock Wraith Spire]
MSI RX Radeon Vega 56
Corair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
Kingston a400 460gb
Windows 10 Pro x64
Bios 5406
1 REPLY 1

Ethanmiq
Level 7

We’re you ever able to find a solution? I am dealing with this exact same issue, and I am also getting very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!