cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSU to Rampage Extreme IV

deadpixel
Level 7
Where do I plug the power cables is my main question here. My PSU is the Silencer Mk II. So I have plugged two cables (4 pin and 20 pin) side by side into the really long (24) socked on the right side of the mobo then there are two more sockets on the top of the mobo above the processor - one 4 pin and one 8 pin. I have plugged respective cabled into each of these but just want to check with the gaming gurus on this forum if that is correct or not. I have a feeling that I should only plug into just one of those top sockets.

Also I should mention that the 8 pin socket came with a plastic cap covering half of it. Weird? maybe I am meant to plug the 4 pin connector into just one half of the 8 pin socket and nothing into the 4 pin socket?

Thanks in advance and also thanks all for all your help previously with my questions about RAM.
Windows 10 (64 bit) Asus rampage IV Extreme, Intel core i7 3820, Spire Max CPU cooler, 4x4GB (16GB) G-skills RipJawsZ RAM, LG Blu-Ray R/RW lightscribe, 120GB Kingston SSD, 1.5 TB WD HDD, Silencer Mk II 950 Watt PSU, AMD HD 7050 GPU
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No, you are good to go the 24 pin atx and the 8 pin are needed 100% the extra 4 pin is extra power if OCing but it will not harm to have it plugged in the board will only draw as much current as it needs....:D

Just one thing...out of interest.... you do mean a 20+4 pin..... like... they are part of the same cable? Or two separate lengths of cable? not seen that before..

They are the same length of cable. Okay thanks for this. One more question: the user manual mentioned about thermal sensor cables (not included) how important are these? All my fans are plugged into the mobo but although there are 4 pins available the plugs from the fans ony use 3 pins. does this mean that my fans will always run on full throttle? With thermal sensors will be fans only use as much power as what is needed?
Windows 10 (64 bit) Asus rampage IV Extreme, Intel core i7 3820, Spire Max CPU cooler, 4x4GB (16GB) G-skills RipJawsZ RAM, LG Blu-Ray R/RW lightscribe, 120GB Kingston SSD, 1.5 TB WD HDD, Silencer Mk II 950 Watt PSU, AMD HD 7050 GPU

deadpixel wrote:
They are the same length of cable. Okay thanks for this. One more question: the user manual mentioned about thermal sensor cables (not included) how important are these? All my fans are plugged into the mobo but although there are 4 pins available the plugs from the fans ony use 3 pins. does this mean that my fans will always run on full throttle? With thermal sensors will be fans only use as much power as what is needed?

The 4 pin fan plugs are PWM plugs which mean the temperature control software can change fan speed depending on settings. If you use a three pin plug fan it just constantly runs at full chat.

stoanee wrote:
The 4 pin fan plugs are PWM plugs which mean the temperature control software can change fan speed depending on settings. If you use a three pin plug fan it just constantly runs at full chat.

Thanks for this info. I cant believe that Coolmaster would fit their Silencio II case only with 3 pin fans. Silencio is about being silent. What’s silent about having all fans running at full throttle all the time. Also my CPU cooler (Spire TherMax Eclipse II) I guess I’m just gonna have to buy new fans all round?

stoanee wrote:

3 pin fans are still able to be regulated direct from the BIOS and some MOBOs have presets for this or some work with software for control. 3 pin does not mean you have to run full RPM. Only time a fan will run full RPM is if you plug it directly to molex....but even here decent fans come with resistors to vary RPM.

stoanee
Level 7
The little cap is meant to guide you if you have a really old psu with a 4 pin secondary power plug. Plug into open side. Most modern psu's have an 8 pin plug so you just pop off that little cap & plug in your 8 pin instead. There is another 4 pin close by if you feel you will need more power. There is also a 6 pin plug for extra pcie power if you are running multiple cards and a 4 pin plug in to supply more power to your ram.

I have also plugged into the RAM socket stoanee mentioned. I have not yet bough my GPU but will soon. so is it okay to just plug into all the extra sockets available or will that waste electricity?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can plug it all in if you like but the floppy connector really isn't needed unless you are filling all the RAM slots and/or OCing and the 6pin PCIe is only needed if you are going with multiple cards.....like 4 way sli. Depends how clean you want your wiring to look 😉 Plug what you plug your electricity bill will be the same..... just about