cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my system..

MrBlueGuy
Level 7
Greetings.

I build my system a few months ago, but I've had so much problems I've lost count..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
MOBO: ASUS ROG B450-F Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2x8GB (16GB)
GPU: ASUS 970 Strix OC 4GB
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB
PSU: Corsair RMx750
(No OC)

I am looking for the correct settings in BIOS or something..
When I play games, Ethernet randomly disconnects and the game starts to freeze and then goes back to normal and repeats few times before crashing the game and goes to the desktop (Where everything has frozen and I can't do anything other than moving the mouse)

I'm getting really tired of this, I want to be able and game in peace without having any issues.. Please, can somebody help me? Do I need to set voltages? OC something or what? I'm getting tired and sad at the same time.. I double checked everything before building and it was all compatible. (GPU will be upgraded in the near future)

I've tried setting XMP but no matter what it still happens. Sometimes even windows just freeze. I've checked the temps, but they are normal. No overheating issue. Latest BIOS (Update directly when I see new updates)

I don't know what to do..

Can someone please help me.

I am begging you... :'(
21 REPLIES 21

MrBlueGuy wrote:
Oh I see... Well my GPU does have a few years on it, still working fine (before being interruped lol). No I put the GPU directly in PCIE slot (First as MOBO manual says).

I hope it's not the CPU, I was very careful placing it in its slot. I did had to change the thermal paste one time. Come to think about it I am getting jumpy CPU temp when I check temp in BIOS. Can go from 29c to 40-45c, jumps around a bit. Perhaps I got to check that out, maybe clean and apply fresh paste again. Best way is one "dot" in the center of CPU, right? If no success I guess I got to check piece by piece, ugh.. What a hassle.

yea one dot is enough but also check the pins to be sure it isn’t a faulty pin.*

Re@per wrote:
yea one dot is enough but also check the pins to be sure it isn’t a faulty pin.*

Yeah indeed. I will do that, I just tried a thing first. I disabled the XBOX Gamebar(recording and game mode thingy), since I noticed some stutter. After I disabled it there's no more stutter. I'll try run some demanding games and see if the system continues freeze. If it does, I'll do as said.

So I meassured the temp on both CPU and GPU (NZXT Cam) using the overlay while playing. So last night I played Ghost Recon Breakpoint for about 2,5 Hours. CPU didn't go above 50c. GPU went around 76-78c. I turned up the fans to kick the temp down a bit. I am suspecting the GPU, it's what my gut is telling me, I mean everything is "new" it's just the GPU and my WD HDD that is a bit "outdated". The HDD seems fine though, I've checked it multiple times, still getting the performance now as years ago, no errors or anything. Leaves me to my precious GPU... My budget is a bit tight at the moment so I have no cards to test it with unfortunately.. And I haven't saved up enough money for a new GPU. It's getting there. While running AIDA64 running a "GPU test", and while it's testing I move the window around and it stutters like crazy, maybe this is meant to be like this or maybe something is wrong, I dunno. I did use that program (forgot the name, UDD or something) which removes and cleans all the drivers that has to do with the GPU. Then did a fresh install of the latest drivers. Still the same, I have no idea though. Could be the GPU, just can't test that unfortunately..

When using the PC for browsing or just doing stuff generally. I never get any problems. It's just when it comes to gaming. Strange.

HisEvilness
Level 7
The GPU might be clogged with dust buy a can of air and clear out the fins on the cooling plate if you have some experience I would replace the thermal paste of the GPU and replace the thermal pads as well.

HisEvilness wrote:
The GPU might be clogged with dust buy a can of air and clear out the fins on the cooling plate if you have some experience I would replace the thermal paste of the GPU and replace the thermal pads as well.

I clean pretty much once every week. I should maybe be more thoroughly when cleaning the GPU. So completely change the thermal paste? I've had people saying I should not do that as it can cause problems or make it worse. But I guess I could give it a try. Thanks.

MrBlueGuy wrote:
So completely change the thermal paste?

Depending on your countries consumer laws on GPU's, all you may be doing is providing the manufacturer a way to void the warranty or make the process more complex. I would not consider this in attempting to lower it's temp via new thermal pads and/or TIM because if your not above temp or throttling then really isn't any point in considering it, it's working within specification and that isn't a problem or avoiding a future problem.

If it's running within design temp then it's not an issue in the first place unless it has defective component(s) in which case I want the most simple replace.

MrBlueGuy wrote:
I clean pretty much once every week. I should maybe be more thoroughly when cleaning the GPU. So completely change the thermal paste? I've had people saying I should not do that as it can cause problems or make it worse. But I guess I could give it a try. Thanks.

i would Test a other gpu first before trying your stuff. Just buy one from Amazon and send it back after testing.*
Your gpu could be outdated but really if you turn your settings completely down in games it should work or not. And 70 degree for gpu under full performance is not unusual *

Right, I understand. Acconrding to sources the highest temp should be 65c max before throttling. But it could be more sure. I do not know if I get the chance of trying out another GPU for a while. I've sent all info and literally everything regarding the issue to ASUS support and they've sent it to the HQ and I'm awaiting response.

So I reinstalled Windows 10 again, on my SSD. I first removed the HDD. Installed Windows, updated to the latest although I did not install the "optional update" (KB4522355), I am leaving that so sit there. I let windows install the drivers, I only updated the nVIDIA drivers as well as the Chipset drivers. I then plugged in my HDD, completely format HDD. Installed Ubisoft and Ghost Recon Breakpoint (On my SSD). And I've now been playing for 6 actively hours without any problem at all. No freeze, no stutter, nothing. Maybe this could be because I didn't unplug the HDD before installing windows earlier? Or maybe it's because I installed "Games for windows" on my HDD? Those games are a complete cluster from what I saw on the HDD, folders all over and folders/files I cannot enter. Or maybe it was just that simple that I didn't unplug the HDD before installing Windows? I do not know. Or maybe it is just the update that I am not installing (KB4522355)? So many things that can cause this.

On another note, ASUS HQ sent me a modified BIOS "Patch" for me. I'll save that one for later if I get this issue again. But for now it does seem to work completely fine!

PC seems to run super fast now compared to earlier.

I'll make a new post if things starts to mess up again. But for now, big thank you to you all! You gave me plenty of new info and I've learned a thing or two from you guy. So thank you once again!

For now, consider this issue SOLVED!

Thanks ❤️

MrBlueGuy wrote:
So I reinstalled Windows 10 again, on my SSD. I first removed the HDD. Installed Windows, updated to the latest although I did not install the "optional update" (KB4522355), I am leaving that so sit there. I let windows install the drivers, I only updated the nVIDIA drivers as well as the Chipset drivers. I then plugged in my HDD, completely format HDD. Installed Ubisoft and Ghost Recon Breakpoint (On my SSD). And I've now been playing for 6 actively hours without any problem at all. No freeze, no stutter, nothing. Maybe this could be because I didn't unplug the HDD before installing windows earlier? Or maybe it's because I installed "Games for windows" on my HDD? Those games are a complete cluster from what I saw on the HDD, folders all over and folders/files I cannot enter. Or maybe it was just that simple that I didn't unplug the HDD before installing Windows? I do not know. Or maybe it is just the update that I am not installing (KB4522355)? So many things that can cause this.

On another note, ASUS HQ sent me a modified BIOS "Patch" for me. I'll save that one for later if I get this issue again. But for now it does seem to work completely fine!

PC seems to run super fast now compared to earlier.

I'll make a new post if things starts to mess up again. But for now, big thank you to you all! You gave me plenty of new info and I've learned a thing or two from you guy. So thank you once again!

For now, consider this issue SOLVED!

Thanks ❤️

Good to hear that. Maybe your hdd is too slow? Had this issue 2 years ago it was to slow to handle multiple tasks **