cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with ASUS Maximus VI Extreme (not detecting GPU / A2 error code)

MagicJohnsonson
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, but I'm having a couple of issues.

Just to get this out of the way:
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Extreme (s1150)
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: GTX 980
RAM: 16GB @1600MHz

The PCIe x16 and x8 slots are not detecting my GPU or powering it at all (GTX 980). It shows as if there's nothing inserted in the BIOS. If I boot-up with the mobo plugged into my monitor, it goes into Windows and all is good (Still, the GPU isn't listed in the device manager, even if it's inserted in a PCIe slot). If I try to boot the computer with the monitor connected to the GPU (while it's connected to a x16 or x8 slot) it won't boot at all, and I get the error code A2 in the mobo. I've tried searching for answers about this error code, but couldn't really find any well explained solution.

Now, here's the part that confuses me. As a last resort I tried plugging my GPU into the PCIe x4 slot. And to my surprise it worked. The GPU got powered up immediately (but it isn't listed in the BIOS, since for some reason the GPU DIMM. list doesn't show the x4 slot at all), and I could get everything to run.

I haven't had any crashes so far, but there are some things in which performance is a bit worse.
Previously I could stream games with OBS without it having affect the in-game performance too much. As of this change, I can notice quite a bit of slowdown when I stream some games (going from 110 to 60 fps). Could this be because the GPU is plugged in a x4 slot?

Is the problem I'm facing an issue with the mobo itself? Meaning it's faulty? Or is it just a configuration thing I'm not seeing. I'd like to know since I can still go return it for another unit where I bought it.

Any help is appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

MagicJohnsonson
Level 7
Forgot to mention the following:

- I inserted my GPU in another PC and it worked fine on a x16 slot
- I inserted another (working) GPU in the ASUS Maximus VI, and it made no difference at all. (Still didn't get any power or get detected by the mobo)
- I tried using another PSU, same issue.

Zka17
Level 16
Maybe the PCIe slot is gone...