cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POST failing

jaristr
Level 7
Hi
I upgraded my mobo BIOS to the latest version (3701). But I've got POST problems after that. The first boot seems to always fail and I boot again and I am forced to go to BIOS and I just close it without changes and then it boots to windows.
The only option I have changed from BIOS after the update is enabling XMP, which I probably had enabled before the update.

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming

Memory: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance, DDR4 4000MHz, CL19, 1.35V

CPU: Intel Skylake-X Core i9-7920X, LGA2066, 2.9 GHz, 16.5 MB

HD: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVM

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 11GB GDD

thx!
28 REPLIES 28

Nate152
CSM = Compatibility Support Module

Enabled, it is for Legacy bios support. Since you've done a UEFI install, you want to disable CSM as I do.

Disabling CSM can help speed up boot time. Just below CSM, set Secure Boot type to Other Os.

CPU-Z showing 2000MHz means your ram is running at 4000MHz.

ahfoo
Level 13
your 2 set of 2 pairs of 2X8GB RAM of the same brand, same model, timing....to be honest it very difficult to get two pair of ram even in the same brand and same model in XMP. SO we always hear advice from the forum not to mix ram. If two different brand that will make matter worse. Please determine your ram type here.

Boot failed again, gave it enough time but no dice. I think the problem maybe more in cold boot than any setting.

The "Other Os" is selected but I did not yet try CSM because i fear some hardware may not work

I will put more specs in my post

ahfoo wrote:
your 2 set of 2 pairs of 2X8GB RAM of the same brand, same model, timing....to be honest it very difficult to get two pair of ram even in the same brand and same model in XMP. SO we always hear advice from the forum not to mix ram. If two different brand that will make matter worse. Please determine your ram type here.

all ram is same type. bought it all together

jaristr wrote:
all ram is same type. bought it all together

Try just one o pair of ram (The actual pair bought in a same package with the running serial number) on your motherboard slot 2 and slot 4 (slot 2 is the one nearest to the CPU) and test it out again.

ahfoo wrote:
Try just one o pair of ram (The actual pair bought in a same package with the running serial number) on your motherboard slot 2 and slot 4 (slot 2 is the one nearest to the CPU) and test it out again.

I'd rather not start tampering with the RAM because it has worked for years now without problems and one bios update shouldn't change that....

maybe there is some new bios option that came with the update that needs to be turned off

It has been now a week with default bios settings and no booting problems. So it seems to be the XMP that caused the problem.
Strange because manual says the XMP option only appears in bios if it's supported.

I hope they fix this bug in new bios update

ahfoo
Level 13
If your RAM module was certified with XMP mode, which will appear in your RAM package box. If that is the case, the ram supposed to run it as optimized XMP. That is why I need you ascertain if the two set of pair RAM able to run within the system to determine the XMP mode run correctly. With two set of pair ram running in the system will not guarantee it will work even thought the ram are the same brand, same model and same frequency. Unless the RAM module was quad pair of 4 RAM from the same production line the same time in sequence serial number. That is why I am requesting you to test one pair of ram at one time and set it to XMP mode.