cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POST failing

jaristr
Level 7
Hi
I upgraded my mobo BIOS to the latest version (3701). But I've got POST problems after that. The first boot seems to always fail and I boot again and I am forced to go to BIOS and I just close it without changes and then it boots to windows.
The only option I have changed from BIOS after the update is enabling XMP, which I probably had enabled before the update.

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming

Memory: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance, DDR4 4000MHz, CL19, 1.35V

CPU: Intel Skylake-X Core i9-7920X, LGA2066, 2.9 GHz, 16.5 MB

HD: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVM

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 11GB GDD

thx!
28 REPLIES 28

ahfoo
Level 13
Try disable XMP. Did you insert the RAM into Slot 2 and slot 4?

ahfoo wrote:
Try disable XMP. Did you insert the RAM into Slot 2 and slot 4?

honestly i don't know because i did not build this PC but theres 4 rams in total

I can try the XMP

ahfoo
Level 13
But on your 1st post indicate your using 2X8GB Corsair vengeance (2X8GB) total of 16GB. How can it occupied 4 RAM slot? Please open your casing side cover to determine which ram slot your RAM insert to . RAM slot 1 is the nearest to the CPU, follow 2, 3 and 4.

ahfoo wrote:
But on your 1st post indicate your using 2X8GB Corsair vengeance (2X8GB) total of 16GB. How can it occupied 4 RAM slot? Please open your casing side cover to determine which ram slot your RAM insert to . RAM slot 1 is the nearest to the CPU, follow 2, 3 and 4.

I have two of those 2X8GB sets, so total of 4 sticks (32GB)

Today it booted normally. i don't know what that means, maybe the new bios just is unstable

jaristr wrote:
I have two of those 2X8GB sets, so total of 4 sticks (32GB)

Here's your issue. You're running 4 ram sticks on XMP profile that is meant to be used with 2 sticks only. Of course you can get away with it and it does run fine sometime but you're not supposed to. If it was working fine previously try to match kits with ram sockets: A2,B2 - first kit, A1,B1 - second kit. You can figure it out by serial numbers.

DragDay7 wrote:
Here's your issue. You're running 4 ram sticks on XMP profile that is meant to be used with 2 sticks only. Of course you can get away with it and it does run fine sometime but you're not supposed to. If it was working fine previously try to match kits with ram sockets: A2,B2 - first kit, A1,B1 - second kit. You can figure it out by serial numbers.

really? cpu-z says it runs at 2000mhz (XMP mhz spec) and in quad channel.

i dont understand much of this but seems like its working....

bit embarrassing to admit but I think I may have given the booting too short time to be done and pressed the power switch too soon. Now I've given it more time and it seems to boot normally.
well I hope that was the cause but the booting takes really long time

Nate152
It shouldn't be a stability issue as updating the bios resets it to defaults.

Disable CSM and set Secure Boot Type to "Other Os".

F10 and enter to save and exit.

Nate152 wrote:
It shouldn't be a stability issue as updating the bios resets it to defaults.

Disable CSM and set Secure Boot Type to "Other Os".

F10 and enter to save and exit.

Like i said, i get bizarre message when disabling CSM, so I didn't dare to try it

Andyh77
Level 8
It is a bit of a stab in the dark but if you are comfortable in removing and installing Dram sticks it is an easy thing to try. Assuming you have your two 8GB Dram in Dimm slots A2 and B2 you could try removing the stick in Dimm slot B2 and observe booting response.