cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POST failing

jaristr
Level 7
Hi
I upgraded my mobo BIOS to the latest version (3701). But I've got POST problems after that. The first boot seems to always fail and I boot again and I am forced to go to BIOS and I just close it without changes and then it boots to windows.
The only option I have changed from BIOS after the update is enabling XMP, which I probably had enabled before the update.

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming

Memory: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance, DDR4 4000MHz, CL19, 1.35V

CPU: Intel Skylake-X Core i9-7920X, LGA2066, 2.9 GHz, 16.5 MB

HD: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVM

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 11GB GDD

thx!
28 REPLIES 28

Nate152
Hi jaristr

Welcome to the ROG forum.

In the bios on the boot tab, check the first boot device says "Windows Boot Manager".

Also Disable CSM.

Does this get your pc to boot normally?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi jaristr

Welcome to the ROG forum.

In the bios on the boot tab, check the first boot device says "Windows Boot Manager".

Also Disable CSM.

Does this get your pc to boot normally?

boot device is ok

I didnt change CSM because there was some message about drivers

ahfoo
Level 13
When system first boot after bios upgrade/updatge, system always prompt you to enter bios while the bios already been reset to default. What you need to redo your setting such as XMP, boot device etc etc. Basically just redo your best setting according to your system requirement.

ahfoo wrote:
When system first boot after bios upgrade/updatge, system always prompt you to enter bios while the bios already been reset to default. What you need to redo your setting such as XMP, boot device etc etc. Basically just redo your best setting according to your system requirement.

the only thing i ever change is XMP to on

ahfoo
Level 13
So you what your descriptions for my understanding, After update the system always prompt you to enter bios? Am I right.

ahfoo wrote:
So you what your descriptions for my understanding, After update the system always prompt you to enter bios? Am I right.

First the boot fails, nothing happens just black screen. then I shutdown and restart and I am forced to go to bios. but after that windows loads up

ahfoo
Level 13
Ok, reset your bios and redo your bios setting. Save and exit and boot. Once done. Boot to windows and once windows 10/11 settle down, turn off your PC. Wait foe a while and turn on again. Hope it help.

ahfoo wrote:
Ok, reset your bios and redo your bios setting. Save and exit and boot. Once done. Boot to windows and once windows 10/11 settle down, turn off your PC. Wait foe a while and turn on again. Hope it help.

Doesn't the bios update reset settings?

I tried resetting the bios to "optimized defaults" and then put XMP back on but same problem