cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent display driver crash

macabrecontract
Level 7
Built a new PC and for the past month I have had display driver crashes with no identifiable cause. My setup is as follows:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 107 °C (This temperature is wrong, Speccy is the only one showing this temp...)
Summit Ridge 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1496MHz (16-17-17-35)
( Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - White (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W)) Don't know why speccy didn't pickup any info...
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING (AM4) 48 °C
Graphics
ASUS VN247 (1920x1080@59Hz)
ASUS VS238 (1920x1080@59Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (XFX Pine Group) 32 °C
Storage
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA ) 32 °C
931GB Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

The display driver crash happens randomly; it can occur 5 minutes into a game or maybe half an hour; can occur when opening a new browser or application, or when idle. When gaming, I have noticed it will typically log 2-6 crash events; when not gaming, typically the crash is limited to one.

Attempted solutions:

BIOS changes:
CPU: OCed to 4ghz using the auto config. Voltage in CPU-Z reads up to what appears to be 1.45 V
RAM: OCed to 1496.4MHz CL:16 tRCD: 17 tRP: 17 tRAS: 35
tRC: 70 Voltage 1.350
(I am new to Overclocking and still have much to learn so I left most if not all of the work to the systems that this mobo will auto set for me. Ram used XMP profile)

BIOS was updated to the latest build of 4011.

This is going to be a long part of exactly the process I followed to find some kind of remedy to my issue.

First, a complete wipe was performed on my "Crucial" SSD in preparation for installing Windows 10 using a flash drive that was prepared by Microsoft's flash drive installation tool. I installed windows 10 on the SSD without being connected to the internet. I activated several GPedits to prevent windows from performing random updates without permission and also disabled it from updating drivers of it's own accord.

Next I installed drivers that I had stored on my secondary drive in the following order and this also includes required reboots:
Chipset
LAN
Audio

I reconnected my Ethernet and installed the following:
All critical and or required windows 10 updates.

GPU driver utilizing AMD's auto installer for the recommended driver but only after running DDU in Windows safe mode.

None of this had any effective mitigation on display crashes. I apologize if my post is scatter-brained but I'm not fully aware of how to format this without it becoming too confusing and I want it to follow some order to the best of my ability.

Onto other things that were done to rule-out parts but ultimately made no difference in display driver crashes:

Mem-tested the ram for about 30 minutes (no errors were found) but I did not perform anything exact and can understand if a request is made to perform more testing in a particular order.

Replaced my dual GTX970 SLI setup with the Radeon card that is posted in the parts section. Along side this replacement came the full wipe of my SSD so a completely fresh installation of Windows 10 could be performed.

Replaced my PSU with "EVGA Supernova G3, 80 Plus gold 1000W".

Ran furmark and GPU test came out well.

Monitoring applications have shown no overheating of any parts.

Rolled back XMP profiled ram to the JEDEC specifications.

Used MSI afterburner to force a lower clock of 100-200 onto my previous SLI setup and also onto the New Radeon card. Changes were reverted when I concluded that they had no effect.

Moved Radeon card to secondary PCIe slot; moved Radeon back to initial PCIe slot.

Did not install any software for my Chroma keyboard and mouse in case that was the issue; I also uninstalled this from the previous SLI setup to see if perhaps Razer was causing a problem.

I think that about covers everything.
Does this seem like a deep and subtle RAM issue? Or perhaps the mobo is faulty? I have no idea what to test or replace at this point.
A new issue that occurred last night is the PC now likes to freeze with no error and a manual shutdown is required to correct this. Woo!

I can post the full speccy output if need be and I also have DXdiag prepared as well. Thank you for your time and I hope someone can help me 😞
1 REPLY 1

macabrecontract
Level 7
So most of my issues stemmed from running EZ wizard. Perhaps if a tool will only make a system completely unstable, it shouldn't be put into play. Next issue is that default BIOS setup wants to pump out a constant 1.4-1.43 volts to the CPU, which is against the manufaturer's recommendations. Cool. Next issue after this is that disabling the two boost "features" causes instability. Issue after that is that I have zero control over cpu voltage regardless of setting it manually or offset and the BIOS is so ambiguous that there is no explanation as to WHY I can't change the voltage. This can't be a normal setup process for every user...