cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P8Z77-V and 32GB Ram

EdmanCheng79
Level 7

Hi All,

Im quite a NOOB in tweaking, so apologies if my terminology are wrong....

I've got a 10 year old PC with a P8Z77-V motherboard (latest BIOS), Intel i7-3770K 3.50Ghz, 2 x 8GB sticks of  GSkill DDR3-1866 RAM (CL10-11-10-30) (F3-1866C-10-8GAB) and Asus Geforce 4GB video card.......Been working like a dream on stock settings. Ive never overclocked or upgraded.

I wanted to upgraded the RAM to 32GB, and knowing motherboards can be delicate, so I went into search for the same type (brand, spec and all) RAM - Which I found on Ebay.

Got the RAM earlier this week and plugged them into the DIMM A1and B1 slots (as the original are in A2 and B2).

Long story short BIOS could only detect 16GB RAM when 4 slots have been used and when I tested the original and newly purchased pairs, BIOS still reads 16GB.

BUT

When the 4 slots are used and Windows still boots up with 16GB (and shows in property manager at 16GB), when I go into CPU-Z program, it shows me all slots are active. 

Looking into this further and this is where I'll get lost are the spec's of the original and new RAM, where the JEDEC#5 and #6 have different frequencies but the XMP-1866 @ 2T / 1T are the same. Im guessing the 2 pairs are not working because if both pairs have different default timings.

So i tried tweaking this in BIOS where I was able to change the RAM settings to operate at XMP-1866 (CL10-11-10-30). Unfortunatley still wont read 32GB.

Completed the typical task or checking slots are clean, not damaged pinns etc

Apart from the manufacturer year difference, Im not sure what Ive done wrong and if there is an alternative way to force 2 pairs of RAM to be working as 32GB ?

Ive attached images from CPU-Z......Slot #1 and 3 is the newly purchased RAM and Slot #2 and 4 are the original RAM. You'll see the JEDEC #5 and 6 have different timings as the XMP-1866 are all the same.

Any suggestions for me to try would be great.....

Many Thanks in Advance

EDSLOT 1SLOT 1SLOT 3SLOT 3SLOT 2SLOT 2SLOT 4SLOT 4

0 REPLIES 0