cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old school Baby AT ASUS build!!! Watercooled AMD K6-3+ and 3dfx Voodoo 5!

j-d0gg
Level 7
I have been piecing together an ASUS-powered Baby AT K6-III+ using the following stuff

ASUS P5A-B
AMD K6-3+ 450mhz @ 600mhz
3dfx Voodoo 5500
512mb RAM
SCSI boot stack
Win 98SE

and wanted to dual-loop watercool it like my Threadripper build in the Case Mod forum, but I'm looking for a waterblock what would work with SS7, I'm thinking something from the Athlon XP era that clips to the socket and doesn't go through the board. I had thought about thermal epoxy but I want the option to delid the K6 like we used to do in the day.

Does anyone know of maybe a chipset cooler that would fit the format of a Socket A cooler? There can't be much overhang over the socket because of the placement of the CPU relative to the AGP socket it would interfere with the Voodoo 5500. The 5500 will be watercooled and I already found waterblocks for it that bolt on in place of the stock coolers, so that is good to go. Copper core preferred.

Why watercool something this old? Because I CAN, and there are asses in UT99 and CS 1.6 that have not been whooped yet on period hardware. UL T R A K I L L!!!!
1950x / Zenith Extreme ROG / R9 290x 4gb / Win 10 Pro
K6-III+ 450mhz @ 550 / ASUS P5A-B / 3dfx Voodoo 5500 64mb / Win 98 SE
3 REPLIES 3

j-d0gg
Level 7
Looks like I can rig a Swiftech Apogee GT made for LGA775 with some creative bending on an SS7 clip
1950x / Zenith Extreme ROG / R9 290x 4gb / Win 10 Pro
K6-III+ 450mhz @ 550 / ASUS P5A-B / 3dfx Voodoo 5500 64mb / Win 98 SE

xeromist
Will you be getting online with a 56k modem?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Had a massive overclock on my Duron back then, by using a conductive pen 😄
http://www.overclockers.com/overclocking-by-connecting-the-dots/

Have fun opening cans of whoop-ass. GODLIKE!!!!