cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer ASUS motherboards without ROG EXT header for OC Panel?

R5Eandme
Level 12
I use the ASUS OC Panel mounted in a 5.25" bay just for readouts of the CPU temp and cpu fan rpm, plus clock frequency and multiplier. Is it my imagination or are the newer ASUS motherboards without the ROG EXT header for cabling to the OC Panel? The ROG EXT connector uses one USB 2.0 mobo header plus a special purpose ROG Ext panel that looks similar to a USB 2.0 panel.

(1) Has ASUS stopped providing ROG_EXT headers on ROG motherboards
(2) Is there a USB interface device and driver to adapt an OC Panel to a ROG motherboard that does not have the ROG_EXT header? Or does ASUS have plans to produce such an interface?

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Oreaba wrote:
I have found a solution.
I have a Front Base Panel, like this one:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/ROG_Front_Base/
It has a ROG_EXT connector.

I have recently bought a MAXIMUS XI HERO, which has NO ROG_EXT connector and has Two 5x2pins 2 USB 2.0 Header.
I have simple created this USB Cable extension, One end has a male pins to go to the Front Panel Cable, and the other end has female pins to go to the mobotherboard.

Then we will insert one end here in the blue part.
Like this:

And the other end will go here ON THE BLUE SPOT:

like this:

That is it! you need to connect one USB pins only (the blue).

Last step is to install the Driver:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/FRONTBASE_10128.zip

And it will work, like this:

Caution:
Make sure you extend the USB cable properly, do not confuse the pins order.

You must not connect any other pins except for the ones in the blue area.
Connecting the other side too with a second USB cable, will create conflicts and problems on your system, like this:

This is how you connect your front panel to an ASUS MoBo that has no ROG_EXT connector to it.
Works pretty neat here!

my board does not accept the Rox ex connector if i connect a USB 3.0 to 2.0 connector it would work. the cables one carries are for audio and the other one is for USB. If I do not connect any cable it would only work by giving it power. for it to show me information I have to install something the drivers when installing them keep thinking it's normal I use Windows 10 you have to update firmware

Oreaba wrote:
I have found a solution.

I have recently bought a MAXIMUS XI HERO, which has NO ROG_EXT connector and has Two 5x2pins 2 USB 2.0 Header.
I have simple created this USB Cable extension, One end has a male pins to go to the Front Panel Cable, and the other end has female pins to go to the mobotherboard.

Then we will insert one end here in the blue part.
Like this:

And the other end will go here ON THE BLUE SPOT:

like this:

That is it! you need to connect one USB pins only (the blue).

Last step is to install the Driver:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/FRONTBASE_10128.zip

And it will work, like this:

Caution:
Make sure you extend the USB cable properly, do not confuse the pins order.

You must not connect any other pins except for the ones in the blue area.
Connecting the other side too with a second USB cable, will create conflicts and problems on your system, like this:

This is how you connect your front panel to an ASUS MoBo that has no ROG_EXT connector to it.
Works pretty neat here!

I could kiss you on the lips! I have searched all over for a solution to still use my OC panel II.
All I want to do is see consistent thermals for my cpu WITHOUT installing some janky raspberry pi BS or a second screen (both are resource hogs) and NO ONE makes an external display that plugs in via USB or looks nearly as clean.

Quick question though, the adapter cable you used, did you actually MAKE IT or is there a cable that I can just buy and plug in?

Thanks a ton man!

Oreaba wrote:
I have found a solution.

Works pretty neat here!

Hello Friend! Please tell me, using this connection does the fan speed control work for you? What firmware do you use with this and what version of AI SUite 3? Also, what is your motherboard and will you use a Rog node plug

Thank you Oreaba for your experiments with using Front Base without a mobo ROG_EXT header. It looks like you've discovered that you can get the basic telemetry (CPU temps, etc) by using pins 7 through 14 (see pinout diagram in original post) and forgetting about the other pins.
It also looks like you can use any generic USB 2.0 motherboard extension cable and didn't have to make one (Insane1984 asked about this). Here is a generic cable from Newegg

R5Eandme wrote:
Thank you Oreaba for your experiments with using Front Base without a mobo ROG_EXT header. It looks like you've discovered that you can get the basic telemetry (CPU temps, etc) by using pins 7 through 14 (see pinout diagram in original post) and forgetting about the other pins.
It also looks like you can use any generic USB 2.0 motherboard extension cable and didn't have to make one (Insane1984 asked about this). Here is a generic cable from Newegg

thank you so much for getting back to us on this.. i was wondering also and really hoping youd come back and reply.. again THANKS!!

Gushy
Level 7
Hello,
where i can buy this cabble ?
Please.

Gushy
Level 7
Hello.
I will explain how Front Panel and OS Panel work toghader with all functions.
I get a USB splitter i attach my Front panel on the USB 2.0 splitter and then i attach the other sidee of the splitter in the motherboard. (in my case i also have ROG Ruygin wutch usb i put in the splitter too). The USB cable for the sound i attach it to his port.
Then i attach my OS Panel in to ROG_Ext port and both work toghader with all functions working.

Btw my motherboard is Asus Rampage VI Extreme. I do have ROG_EXT.

Good job guys.
But I have a different case here.
My motherboard is Maximus VIII impact which was shown as a compatible motherboard with OC Panel II on ASUS official website.
Unfortunately, I can't find any ROG_EXT connector on my motherboard, it only has a USB3.0 18+1 pins built in.
Anyone can help me in this case ?

Wow, so we have arrived to a time when motherboards no longer have USB 2.0 headers, like your Maximus VIII Impact. It may be a long shot but for about $10 US you can buy an adapter cable that will convert a motherboard USB 3.0 header into a USB 2.0 header like this one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-20-Pin-Motherboard-Adapter-USB3-AD24/dp/B00E42A4L0/ref=sr_1_5?dc...

and if you need that USB 3.0 header for something else like I/O ports, then you may also try adding a Y-splitter or a USB 3.0 hub. No guarantee it will work but the cables are inexpensive and worth a try.

R5Eandme wrote:
Wow, so we have arrived to a time when motherboards no longer have USB 2.0 headers, like your Maximus VIII Impact. It may be a long shot but for about $10 US you can buy an adapter cable that will convert a motherboard USB 3.0 header into a USB 2.0 header like this one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-20-Pin-Motherboard-Adapter-USB3-AD24/dp/B00E42A4L0/ref=sr_1_5?dc...

and if you need that USB 3.0 header for something else like I/O ports, then you may also try adding a Y-splitter or a USB 3.0 hub. No guarantee it will work but the cables are inexpensive and worth a try.

Thank you R5Eandme,
I did order a cable as you said.
BTW, I found this asus card as below, but it seems to be discontinued.