cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb first build

DeaconJ
Level 7
Hello all,

New to this forum and am getting ready to build my computer this weekend with my son. I have actually 'built' several computers by salvaging older computers to take several and make one, but this will be my first from scratch with new components.

I know that this isn't the newest and best out there, but I was looking for deals on quality components. Some of the items were rated high before the new technology came out. I chose an ROG Motherboard simply for its quality, rating and features.

Here is my build that will commence on Saturday morning

Computer Build
• Intel Core i5 4590 CPU
• ROG Maximus VI Gene Motherboard
• EVGA Geforce GTX 750ti SC 2g GPU
• EVGA 500B PSU
• Gskill Ripjaw 8x2 (16gb) DDR3-1866 Memory
• Zalman CNPS10X CPU Cooler
• Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB OS Drive
• WD Green 2TB Storage
• Seagate 1TB Scratch and backup storage
• LG 24x Super Mulit DVD drive
• Cooler Master Silencio Case

The 2 hard drives are the only items that aren't brand new, but they aren't that old. I do plan on an array of SSD's in the future as finances allow.

My primary use will not be gaming as I am an amateur photographer who likes to use Lightroom and Photoshop with a little graphic design with InDesign and Illustrator thrown in the mix. I do also have Adobe Premier Elements and have just started dabbling with video editing. But, I mainly wanted a solid computer with quality components.

Thanks for taking a look and any tips (or critiques) you can think of to pass my way would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
DeaconJ
12 REPLIES 12

DeaconJ
Level 7
Thanks everyone! Yes, this is my first ground up build, and I hope it won't be my last. My old HP just isn't cutting it anymore and I've always wanted to do this, so wish me luck tomorrow! I'll take some pics as I go.

1sthurricane
Level 7
Good luck and I am excited for you!Nothing like a new rig to play with.

Just take your time and enjoy your new build. You will then,know all of the parts and how they work together

Easier to troubleshoot

You will feel accomplished when your are done.