cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Motherboard won't stay on

Gronkar
Level 7
So, about a month ago my PC started blue screening. I thought eh let's install windows. It would not load Bios. I read somewhere, just reseat the Cmos battery, it will work fine then. It never loaded again.

So, I bought a brand new motherboard. The Maximus Hero 11, as old one was the 9 version. Decided to get a new case while I was at it because last case was a super cheapy.

I have it mounted in the case with the provided pins to mount it on. No matter what I try, it will not load up. I push the button on the Motherboard itself, the ram display lights up. fans turn on. everything loads up.. for a second or two. Then, suddenly, powers down. I have double checked the connectors a dozen times. Even with Just the CPU and motherboard cables nothing seems to change anything. I have tried no ram and even 1 ram in any of the four sockets. even both sticks. The motherboard Sockets are the same as the old one, a 1151 CPU with ddr4. I even took the CPU Out to see if it would change the boot process, and at that time it just never turned off, but no post, obvs.

I am a noob when it comes to hardware, but I was able to build the first PC, 2 years ago. and it worked fine until a month ago.

Tomorrow I am going to try and breadboard it. But are there any other issues I could test? I bought it from the Asus store through Amazon, not joe down the road. the CPU is definitely seated properly. I tried plugging in a fan to the "cpu fan" even. Nothing I do seems to make it stay on. Even holding the button.

If It still fails to Stay on, what are my options at that point? just return it?
8 REPLIES 8

davemon50
Level 11
If you have access to another PSU, try swapping it out. Sounds like a power issue to me. What size is it?
Davemon50

850 watts. I do have another power supply I can try and see if it boots, but I do not have another Mobo that is 1151 socket.

S4lticid
Level 9
Question. You made this statement:
Gronkar wrote:
I even took the CPU Out to see if it would change the boot process, and at that time it just never turned off, but no post, obvs.

And then this one:
Gronkar wrote:
Nothing I do seems to make it stay on. Even holding the button.

These seem to contradict each other.

Did removing the CPU allow the board to stay on then?
I also think this could be a power issue, but if your first statement is correct in that removing your CPU allows the board to stay on then that power issue might have also damaged or killed your CPU...

Sorry for being confusing. Let me clear it up. So when the CPU is in it won't stay on. When I remove it, the board stays on but nothing really happened. power flowing but no response and no auto shut off. Would this Indicate a cpu failure? It is the Kaby Lake i7-7700k. only 2 years old. I thought the auto shut off would be the cpu indicating a problem and shutting things down. But I am not that expierenced with new builds.

Gronkar wrote:
Sorry for being confusing. Let me clear it up. So when the CPU is in it won't stay on. When I remove it, the board stays on but nothing really happened. power flowing but no response and no auto shut off. Would this Indicate a cpu failure? It is the Kaby Lake i7-7700k. only 2 years old. I thought the auto shut off would be the cpu indicating a problem and shutting things down. But I am not that expierenced with new builds.

I think everyone here is on track.. if you pull out your 7700k it probably won't even light up at all. Power sounds like a good place to look but a bad CPU can cause all of the symptoms you are talking about as well. Make sure there is a cooler on the CPU. If it get too hot and go into thermal max which it might do at startup without a cooler, it will also shut down / blue screen. Might of been a cooling issue all along.

You also mentioned new motherboard. Did you make sure your processor is on the Qualified Vendor List QVL's. Was this an upgrade? If the CPU really isn't supported this is a problem too. Bios won't really understand it.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

Gronkar wrote:

You bought the wrong kind of board for your cpu. 7700k wont work on a 300 series board, unless you mod it. You need a new cpu

davemon50
Level 11
You do have a cooling item plugged into CPU_FAN, right?
Davemon50

I do indeed have somthing in the CPU fan slot. Tried a few other fan areas too. Even with it laying on a piece of cardboard and trying two Other power supplies "got them for an antminer" Nothing changes. tried both sticks of ram. in every slot. How common is a new mobo to be dead on arrival? Also thank you all for the help. This has really been stressing me out.