cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Machine or Update Old one. Help.

Tenshi
Level 7
Hello guys, long time ago i create my first rig with help of users here.
So here i am once again 4 years later to see if there's a way i can upgrade my rig to make it the best i can with the hardware i bought years ago, OR if i buy new pieces to create a new monster.

So here's the deal. People i work with wants to update my machine or want my help to buy a new one for my work. So they gave me those 2 options. They'll help me upgrade mine or create new rig from scratch.
Their budget is $2000 for everything inside the case, nothing more. If i choose this it has to be a better machine and more quicker than mine.
Or using less money to upgrade mine and make it better and faster.

So please guys help me with this, recommendations, compatibility, critics, and whatever you want to throw i'll be happy to read it. People here have more experience than me and maybe had issues with some of the parts i got or want to buy.

Purpose for the machine: 3D Rendering/Post-Pro/VR/Videogames - No OC - Only work with stock. Win 10 Pro.

My actual rig goes like this:

- CPU: AMD FX 8150 3.61ghz
- GPU: PNY XLR8 Geforce GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5 (with custom cooler)
- RAM: Corsair DUAL/QUAD Channel CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB(4x4) KIT DDR3
- Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula. (Bios 1703)
- Case: Graphite Series 780T White
- CPU Cooler: Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler CAFA50
- PSU: Corsair Pro Series Gold AX850 80 PLUS Gold
- HDD: Samsung 500GB 7200RPM (very old.. like 7 years.. yeah i know 😞 )

Planning to Upgrade to this:

- GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX or ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Graphics Card oR Any GTX 1070/1080 that you guys recommend me.
- CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 (or any better from corsair that i can get?)
- SDD: Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB (FOR OS? and software like Maya/Softimage/Adobe/Renderers/etc?)
- SSHD: WD Blue SSHD 4TB (For the rest of the software i use)

Questions:

1.- About my actual Mobo + GTX 1070/1080. Will bottleneck? Any compatibility issues?
2.- My ram could be updated? For which? Or maybe use it at 1600 without any issue? I only have two stock heatsinks, and i had to replace the other two for cheap and lower ones, because the A50 cooler took a lot of space.
3.- CPU. Let's just say that i could have more money to Upgrade, which do i grab AMD FX-8350 or AMD FX 9370 or AMD FX 9590? I know ZEN it's coming, but the people i work with will began their projects in 2 more months and i need to upgrade the mobo/ram to AM4, etc so.. don't have the money for that.

That's for my computer.

now...

Which system you guys will build with $2000? It doesn't need to be AMD, Intel it's ok, but i need something more quick than my FX8150 and that doesn't cost like $500.
Remember $2000 for everything. If i decide to recommend a new machine, i'm planning to get a Full Tower Corsair or any other brand that works, a 1080p Monitor, etc.
So please can you do a parts list, so i can check those in Amazon.

Anyway that's all, sorry for the long post and bad english.
Thanks in adv.

Tenshi.
4 REPLIES 4

Tenshi
Level 7
...anyone?

Update: My boss told me. Find the best AMD pc you can with $2000 and the best Intel pc you can get for $2000.

So guys, please help me create the best of the best.

Vlada011
Level 10
For 2000$, what you need, CPU, Memory, GPU,

I7-6700K - 320$
ASUS Hero 8 - 230$
GSkill Trident Z F4-3000C14D-16GTZ - 120$
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - 150$
EVGA 750 G2 - 100$
GTX980Ti Classified 460$
xxx

With this you have around 600$ more.
You can buy ASUS PB287Q 4K 28" for 480$ and In Win 830 case for 85$,
And you can find somewhere 160$ and instead 980Ti Classified to buy GTX1080 Windforce for 630$.
I search Amazon as you say.

Where is your case, PSU, keyboard, mouse, monitor?
When I buy new stuff I try to sell old and save for something.
I was sold my old Z77 platform and I will buy Samsung 850 1TB SSD and gaming mouse later.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Getting an SSD is going to be the single thing that speeds you up the most.

For $2000

I'd get a new system...keep case cooling and PSU.

Add 6700K....Maya etc usually want best single thread performance especially older versions as I understand it....same for a lot of these 3D render softwares etc.

H100i if you want liquid cooling
maximus Viii Ranger or hero
32GB Ripjaws V RAM...you can use it
Samsung 950Pro 512GB SSD in M2 slot
GTX1080 if you want new gen for anything else.....980 Ti for more cuda cores at lower price!

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hGXY9W

what arne posted