cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New i7 6700K Build

Crazyukranian
Level 7
Will be building a new system and am looking for a bit of advice on some parts , I have ordered the i7 6700K from NCIX which is currently on backorder which gives me some time to research the other parts I need. I started planning on the upgrade a few months ago so the parts listed below were purchased to upgrade my current i7 920 system. I will most likely go with the Maximus VIII Hero mother board so all that is left is the RAM and storage. I would like to take advantage of the M.2 and the pcie storage capabilities, I am hoping that they can both be used at the same time. Looking at either the Intel 750 series 400 GB both in pcie and M.2 or the Samsung SM951 512 G in M.2 with the intel 750 pcie. Still haven't narrowed down the RAM yet have been spending too much time reading up and trying to figure out the M.2 and pcie. I would appreciate any feedback and advice, this will be my third build, the first two went very well.

Budget: reasonable
Main uses of intended build: Gaming
Parts required: RAM, M.2 SSD,
Previous build information: Corsair 500R case (white)
MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G video card
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I CPU Cooler System
EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 1000 watt 80 plus gold certified modular power supply

Monitor resolution: ASUS PG278Q 2560 x 1440
Storage requirements: TBD after the M.2 and pcie ssd's are sorted out
Will you be overclocking: yes
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello Crazyukranian

Welcome to the ROG forum.

With 1 gpu you should be able to put the intel 750 in the 2nd pcie x16 slot and use the sm951 in the M.2 slot.

The gpu and intel 750 pcie ssd will run off the cpu at x8 x8, the Samsung sm951 will run off the chipset.

A suggestion for ram in your new build would be G.Skill Trident Z.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=trident...

Samsung has released a faster M.2 drive the 950 pro, I'm not sure if it's available in online stores yet.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd950pro/overview.htm...

Hey Nate152 appreciate the feedback, any recommendation for what the speed of RAM should be, been trying to find info online and all I see are reviews for brands but nothing that would recommend one speed over the other.

Nate152
If you go with 16GB, 3000MHz or 3200MHZ would be good, that's what I see some members using here. If you want faster ram it's up to the cpu's Integrated memory controller if it can handle anything beyond that.

16GB of 3000MHz - 3200MHz should be doable rather easy.

One thing to note, the i7's have a stronger memory controller than the i5's.

Menthol
Level 14
I concur with Nate on the i7, 3000 to 3200mhz is probably the best speed for the money. make sure the memory you purchase states Z-100 compatible as soom of the early DDR4 isn't as easy to use as it was intended for the X99 platform
I installed an SM951 in the M.2 slot and a 750 in the bottom slot which runs off the PCH, the 750 wasn't running at full rated speed at first, I thought it was because even though there are 20 pcie 3.0 lanes on the PCH they all pass through only 4 pcie 3.0 lanes to communicate with the CPU. I don't know exactly when but after a couple bios updates both the SM951 and Intel 750 both reach full rated speeds now.

Once again Nate appreciate the help I'll have a look at the 3000 and 3200"s and see if I can find a deal, it will definitely be one of
those speeds though.

About the only good side of there being none of the I7 6700K's available up here is that it has given me some extra time to sort out what I want to do and also wait for deals to come along, still no EDD on the processor yet

Menthol thanks for the info looks like you are running what I will be trying to do with the M.2 and PCIE, just curious what motherboard you went with.

Just a quick update, the build went extremely well, I didn't purchase the M.2 or PCIE SSD's yet, the ones I wanted were either not available or not on sale. It will be something I can upgrade to later. It is still an amazingly fast PC, I went with 32GB's of G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 Mhz RAM, on initial start up the RAM speed was only 2133 Mhz, it was real easy to get the speed up to 3000 though using the xmp profile. I got a stable 20 % overclock using the Asus AI suite iii, the i7 6700K has been very stable at 4.8 Ghz. I purchased a copy of Windows 10 rather than loading 7 then upgrading just to save time and a little space on my boot disk. The money I was going to spend on the PCIE and M.2 ssd's was used to purchase a ASUS 980 ti Strix which should be here by Tuesday. Very pleased with the new system, no complaints. The only mistake I made was that I didn't load up all the drivers from the motherboard disk so right of the bat I didn't have any internet access, loading the drivers fixed the problem.
thanks again for the advice on the RAM.

Nate152
Hey Crazyukranian

Congratulations on your new build.

Just install the LAN driver from the motherboard disk and go to the asus support page and get all the latest drivers you want/need. That was a good sacrifice to get the 980ti, I would have done the same thing.

And already at 4.8GHz that's just awesome. 🙂

light007speed
Level 7
4.8Ghz...damn i'm jealous 🙂 You won on the silicon lottery hehe
Asus & MSi FTW (For the WiN 🙂 !!