cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New I5-13600KF Build with ROG Strix Z690-F - Boot help! [Video]

djsmvp22
Level 7

Issue:

Most of the time when I power on my computer the monitor gets no signal from my video card and stays blank. Everything else appears to be working, including the lights and fans on my video card. But if I power on the computer, wait for it to have no signal, and then restart it by holding the restart button on the case the monitor WILL work perfectly and display the signal, showing full POST and Windows 10. It seems like there is some weird handshake or communication issue between the motherboard and video card... I'm stumped. I've also considered maybe it's a RAM issue since this is DDR5-6000 but the CPU only supports 5600?

Video of boot process showing no signal then I restart the PC at 0:57 and then the video signal works

Things I've already tried:

• The video card, power supply, and monitor all work perfectly fine in a different build
  • Different display cables and HDMI cables going from my video card to monitor
  • Different PSU -> video card power cables
  • Different VGA power cable port on PSU
  • Reseat video card and RAM many times, including trying each RAM stick individually
  • Flash BIOS to newest version / Clear CMOS *
  • Disabling fast boot in BIOS
  • Stock RAM frequencies (Auto), XMP 1 and 2

Build:

• CPU: Intel Core I5-13600KF
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z690-F w/ latest drivers (version 2103, 2022/10/19)
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series (Intel XMP) 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 CL36-36-36-96 1.35
  • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1600 G+
  • Video Card: AORUS GeForce GTX 1060 6G rev.2 w/ latest drivers (version 526.47 2022/10/27)
  • Monitor: Asus PB287q

EDIT - ADDING MY THOUGHTS NOW THAT THE ISSUE IS "FIXED" IN CASE SOMEONE FINDS THIS IN THE FUTURE.

I ended up getting a replacement board and everything is now working fine. I think my original problem may have been caused by one or both of these:

• With the first non-working board, I remember I installed the 13th gen CPU BEFORE updating the bios to a version which supported the 13th gen CPU. Once I realized I needed to do that I updated the bios firmware from the Asus site but the problem persisted. I'm wondering if there is an order of operations issue where a CPU without integrated graphics needs to be installed after the mobo supports it? This is really the only root cause I can think of.
  • Some weird issue with the board - I did originally buy it second hand so there's always a chance there was some issue that I couldn't control.
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi djsmvp22

Welcome to the ROG forum.

After searching a bit, it seems updating the Vbios would fix the boot issue.

Find your gpu part number and match it, then compare vbios versions, hopefully there is an update for you.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Gigabyte&model=GTX+1060&interf...

Hi Nate152,

Thank you for your response. I searched for my card's (GV-N1060AORUS-6GD) vbios and downloaded this vbios file (Gigabyte.GTX1060.6144.170614.rom).

I then disabled the video device in "device manager" and ran nvflash:

One thing I noticed is the new bios version seems "older" than the original? I proceeded with the flash and then it asked me to reboot the computer to finish, I then went to Start->Restart in Windows and experienced the same issue with no video signal to the monitor. I waited about 5 minutes and then held the "Restart" button on the case. After booting, I enabled the device again in device manager and again did, Start->Restart in Windows. Same issue. 😞

I'm going crazy about this, I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Nate152
Sorry to hear that didn't work.

Try this:

In the bios on the boot tab, try disabling CSM and set Secure Boot to Other Os.

If that didn't help, try this Nvidia firmware update.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Nate152 wrote:
Sorry to hear that didn't work.

Try this:

In the bios on the boot tab, try disabling CSM and set Secure Boot to Other Os.

If that didn't help, try this Nvidia firmware update.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Hey Nate, thanks again for your reply. I ensured the BIOS settings were the same and also tried the DisplayPort firmware. I still experience the same issue. I've also tried using HDMI cables and that hasn't changed anything either.

96033Â*

I'll try any other suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have another video card to try but I can confirm the card works perfectly in another build with the same monitor and display port cable. Again this feels like some sort of "handshake" issue between the board and video card, maybe could it be a BIOS firmware issue even though I'm on the latest one?

Hey there,

Maybe it's something with the integrated graphics? Find inside the BIOS the Advanced tab and locate System Agent SA Configuration menu. Look for Graphics Configuration menu. Inside you will have Primary Display. Switch to PCIe. Go back and for the iGPU Multi Monitor menu, switch to Disabled. Save & reboot. Let us know what happens.

AS185 wrote:
Hey there,

Maybe it's something with the integrated graphics? Find inside the BIOS the Advanced tab and locate System Agent SA Configuration menu. Look for Graphics Configuration menu. Inside you will have Primary Display. Switch to PCIe. Go back and for the iGPU Multi Monitor menu, switch to Disabled. Save & reboot. Let us know what happens.

Hey @AS185, thanks for the response. I looked in System Agent Configuration menu in my bios and didn't see anything related to integrated/onboard graphics. I looked through all BIOS menus again and didn't see anything similar there either. I was really excited after reading your post because it makes sense a setting like that would cause the weird symptoms I'm experience with power on/reboot and losing signal.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions PLEASE let me know, thank you!

Two more specifically showing which System Agent (SA) Configuration options I have

Since it sounds like there aren't any other suggestions, would it be possible to get someone from the BIOS firmware team to comment? It really seems like at this point the issue is related to the BIOS and recognizing the CPU/GPU? Unfortunately RMA is not possible as I bought it new from a third-party but the board was purchased outside the country.

Man, you don't have Graphics Configuration displayed inside the System Agent Configuration. Very interesting.
Ok. De-attach the GPU from the PC. Plug in the HDMI cable into the back of the motherboard and fire up the computer. Load into the BIOS and locate the Graphics Configuration. Make a screenshot man.