cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New HardDrive Complications!

Veovis
Level 10
Hey all,
I recently got 2 SSHD's at 4TB and I ran into some interesting choices and I'm wondering if they matter.

My original setup was 1 2TB HDD for storage, 1 4TB HHD for gaming and a 256GB SSD for OS.

When the 2TB went bad I dumped the informatoin into the 4TB HDD (I had the space) and orderd the 2 SSHD's as recommended a while back.

I removed the bad drive and put in one of the new ones and tried to mirror the existing 4TB drive onto it. The idea was that after that mirroring, I'd remove the storage drive and put in the second SSHD and re-mirror without a hitch.

But when trying to mirror the Drive (switching to dynamic in windows 10) it said it would only handle 2TB and failed the request.

So I removed the storage drive and put in the other SSHD and mirrored those.

Now the issue I have is putting the data from the now external storage drive into the mirrored drives and what I should do to make sure these drives are compatible with a future upgrade (Like going from a Maximus VI to a Maximus X [whenever that arrives])

Currently my RAID configuration on the ASCI (I think?) mode and I'm using the Mirrored array from the WIndows Disk Management tool.

If I put the configuration into the RAID mode on the motherboard and Control I I can get the blank drives to mirror but it puts the boot drive into a BSOD with a recommendation to repair (Putting it back into A-whatever corrects this.)

Currently I'm running windows 10 with a semi corrupt registry (office is being super problematic in the fact that It refuses to open or reinstall) so I have no qualms of reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows 10. Likewise I have no qualms on digging through the registry and deleting the necessary files to make sure I can reinstall Office 365.

So It boils down to this:

What enclosure/transfer cable should I get for the old 4tb drive to transfer files onto the mirror array (3.0 usb, ESATA...)?

Should I use Asus's RAID mode on the motherboard and/or (after transferring the files I want to keep on the SSD to the old 4TB) reinstall windows 10?

Also, in the event of C:/ reformat, should I use the SDD Secure Erase first just to make sure everything operates smoothly?
1 REPLY 1

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There is a trick for changing from AHCI to RAID in an installed OS. see here for example http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation

Any single disk will still be treated as AHCI but you won't get BSODs on boot...

Do this for your boot drive...then when set up in raid create your raid in BIOS for the pair of disks...

Then add the disk you want to take data off and transfer away...