cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer wont get pass bios?

UnAssisT
Level 7
When i start up my pc i get the bios, but then when i restart it goes to startup repair and after waiting for it multiple times it says it cant fix the problem. i try to select start windows normally instead and my computer just shuts down. what could i do?

im using:
asus maximus iv gene-z/gen 3 mobo
i7 2600k processor
default fan(the hyper evo 212 wouldnt fit even though it said it was compatibile. im just trying to get startup for now)
Nvidia geforce gtx 550 Ti 1gb
caviar green hdd(from old computer)
corsair enthusiast 750w 80+ bronze psu
2x4gb corsair vengeance ram

I also have only set the time on the bios, i have not overclocked or tweaked anything yet.
15 REPLIES 15

xeromist
Sounds like the boot sector of the drive is borked. Do you have another hard drive you can try freshly installing or do you have a backup so that you can reinstall Windows?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Sounds like the boot sector of the drive is borked. Do you have another hard drive you can try freshly installing or do you have a backup so that you can reinstall Windows?

no i don't have another hdd or a windows 7 backup. all i have is windows 7 installed on this hard drive. also this hard drive was working fine on my other computer.

could this problem be fixed by reformatting the hdd, since its in a different computer with different parts? i only want to do this if there's a chance of this fixing my problem. i don't want to lose the files, but if this will fix it I don't care about the files. what do you guys think?

UnAssisT wrote:
could this problem be fixed by reformatting the hdd, since its in a different computer with different parts? i only want to do this if there's a chance of this fixing my problem. i don't want to lose the files, but if this will fix it I don't care about the files. what do you guys think?

Did you install the drivers and stuff for your new build? Im confused, its a new build but you have old files on your hdd. Was your old build the same setup?

WHO_FARTED? wrote:
Did you install the drivers and stuff for your new build? Im confused, its a new build but you have old files on your hdd. Was your old build the same setup?

no i didn't, should i install with cds? i was going to install the drivers online. also yeah its an old hdd with old files, and no it wasnt the same setup. so im guessing the hdd wont work with the old files on it?

UnAssisT wrote:
no i didn't, should i install with cds? i was going to install the drivers online. also yeah its an old hdd with old files, and no it wasnt the same setup. so im guessing the hdd wont work with the old files on it?

you have to do a format and start fresh.you can not just place the old hard drive in another pc.
asus crosshair v ,fx8150 cpu, 16 gb g skill 1600,sapphire radeon 6870 ,mushkin 120 gb enhanced chronos sata III ssd.seagate barracuda 1tb sata 6gb storage drive,asus black blu ray burner,asus 24x dvd burner,cooler master half x blue edition with added 200mm top fan,rosewill 800 watt modular lightining series ps,cooler master hyper 212 evo .artic 5 thermal compound,vantec spectrum fan card with dual 70mm fans,nzxt 2mm led sleeved light kit,win 7 ultimate 64 bit,logitech z623 200 watt speakers

jd2266 wrote:
you have to do a format and start fresh.you can not just place the old hard drive in another pc.

what if i reformatted with backup? would that work?

xeromist
Startup repair generally means that the boot sector is messed up or some of the Windows files are corrupted/missing. I would say that a clean installation of Windows has a good probability of fixing the problem but no guarantees. And if the drive is dying for some reason then the fix may be temporary if more sectors go bad.

Might I suggest hitting up Slickdeals to peruse the recent SSD specials? With this brand new build you could get a smaller SSD as a system drive for under $100. And that would allow you to use your spinner as a dedicated data drive.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

WHO_FARTED_
Level 10
if you still have the old computer, you can go back and copy the files if you have another hdd. or just get another drive. probly wouldnt hurt to just get a new one. reformatting should erase everything.

someone else might could answer this but if you create a new sector and install windows on it could you still open files on the old sector?