cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Built For Beginner and M.2

timlab
Level 9
Currently, this is my very first built at age 67. It's terrifying to say the least. But here we go. I currently have a Z590-e motherboard that I'm starting to work on. In this according to ASUS it has 4 M.2 drives. Wait 4 M.2 drives, yes, 4 M.2 drives. Darn don't need an SSD now (LOL). Anyway, In addition to this, I'm adding in a RX 5500 XT Graphics Card. So the Graphics Card will go into PCI-1 slot. I'm not sure about what it takes, but in my last computer after I put it in, it was reading 8x (in a 16x PCI-e slot running 3.0. However, now this motherboard has 4.0) I guess for the speed in the BIOS. As for the M.2 drives that I have they are (according to their site Sabrent) are M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 interface. NVMe 1.3 compliant. In addition to this, I have 2 SSD and 1 HDD in my system. So with all this going on, I would like one of my M.2 drives to be my boot drive, and the my other M.2 drive to be my storage drive. So which 2 slots do I put these in out of the 4?
Also with my Graphics Card (as mentioned above), and with this system running 4.0, would my Graphics Card start running at 16x or still the 8x?
Thank You
64 REPLIES 64

Okay, today is Sunday. I've reseated my cooler and repasted my CPU. You were right about doing that because when I looked at the old paste, most of it was gone in the middle and that is where you want the most of it.
I've taken two screenshots. One with XMPI disabled and one with XMP1 enabled. I really don't see any differences. So, there MUST be a setting(s) in the BIOS that is just not adding up. I'm going to contact ASUS tomorrow and find out what the heck is going on and if they can tell me anything different.
Can you comment on the two screenshots or are they about the same?
Thanks
Dan

timlab wrote:
when I looked at the old paste, most of it was gone in the middle and that is where you want the most of it.

A couple of things to note about thermal paste:
It's actually a poor heat conductor relative to metal; it's just better than air. So as long as there is enough to fill the gap between the IHS and heat sink, seeing a thin layer when you pull it is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.
Also, since paste is spreadable the pressure will squeeze out excess paste so even if you apply more as soon as you tighten the mounts it will squeeze down to the minimum thickness anyway.
A bad sign is any part of the IHS being dry/clean. That would likely mean you didn't apply enough or have some sort of mounting issue.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

OMG the screenshots didn't show up. I'll correct that tomorrow. This time I'm sure I put enough on the chip. It's going to be a few months before I reseat it, as it's a pain in the but to do for me as my PC sits under my desk. It's the safest place in the whole house (LOL).
I completely understand about the paste and thank you for the advice.
What is P state and C state? Would this have anything with what we are trying to correct? I'm going ASUS tomorrow and see if I can't get ahold of someone in tech to help with this problem as well. Once I got it under control, then I will send you what I found out. But if you two come up with something else for me to try, let me know okay?
Dan

GM you two, I hope you had a very good sleep last night.
#1: Okay, I've read that according to intel that the Intel Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency is 5.30GHz
#2: That the Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 2.0 Frequency is 5.20GHz
#3: That the Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 Frequency is 5.10GHz
#4: That the Processor Base Frequency is 3.5Ghz

With that being said, would you consider the board working as it should from the screenshot taken?
Other than that, I've contacted ASUS and the tech will email me with what they found out.
They are a little worried that my Chipset may be a little high. Can you take off the top of the chipset and add some thermail paste?

Thanks
Dan

iBruceypoo
Level 16
11900K cores 41C and 36C just sitting there idling right? Nothing going on in the background?

I would pull the Intel NIC cable from the motherboard "isolate that 11900K" during this diagnosis to cut off any crazy network apps or web apps that might be running. I mean it can't hurt just to try. Go Offline for a couple hours reset your bios to default settings and reboot into Windows with no XMP no overclocks, no adjustments in bios except default settings - don't even set the darn clock bro.

You can SEE what's running on the 11900K cores, GO TO your Task Manager > Processes Tab > then click the CPU column to arrow pointing down.

This will generate a list in order of those processes/apps using your 11900K from most to least, highest use to lowest use.
Z790 Epiphenomenal Raptor Bench

ROG Z790 Apex / Intel 13900KS SP111 P121 E93 MC83
Gskill 8000 kit - TM5 stable at 8200MT/s 38 48 48 121 VDD and VDDQ 1.5v
WD_Black SN850X 1TB 7300MB/s Reads 6300MB/s Writes
LG 32in 4K IPS 32UP83A-W

Roger Dodger will report back later tomorrow.
Dan

iBruceypoo
Level 16
Lol Dan roger roger*:p

I’d turn off Wi-Fi on your new ROG build also, at least during this diagnosis phase. 🙂 ***

With your 11900K completely isolated, it’s going to be interesting to see what the top 5apps/processes are running creating that 41C in that core.

Also and again record your lowest 11900K frequency. Boot into windows as above then it takes about 3-4minutes for your 11900K to reach true idle.

Just keep watching Task Manager CPU speed - after 3-4minutes that frequency SHOULD drop below 1000Mhz (1Ghz).*

Once your 11900K has reached true idle, that’s when you want to check in Task Manager CPU column click arrow down and record the top 5 or so apps running at idle.*

LG 32in 4K IPS 32UP83A-W

xeromist
Keep in mind that your idle temps will also be impacted by your ambient temperature. The room where my PC is running is 80F or even a bit higher because I don't like a massive AC bill. That means my water temp is 29C (currently only a 5800x on the loop). So with a light load (10-15% CPU) my CPU temps are already in the low 40s. To me, that's fine because it's quiet and does what I need.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Try and live where I live and you'll know HOT! I live in SC, where the temp with the humidity together alone will be around 112F each and every day almost. I keep my house at 77F and the temp going into my computer is around 76F. I don't have an AIO, but my tower. So yea, I can understand hot. I also know that this temp will affect that as well. As that being said, I'm going to do what Bruce asked of me, and once I hear from ASUS (which I don't think is going to be that great (now Dan go to power options, go to Balance, then go to change plan settings, then go to change advance plan settings, go down to Processor power management, then go to Maximum processor state and change it from 100 to 75.)). I know it's coming and I should hear something tomorrow. Once I do, I'll let you both know what they said.
Dan

iBruceypoo
Level 16
Xeromist is correct it’s summertime and we have no idea your ambient room temp, Danno.

Still, will be interesting to find out what processes are running on your 11900K at true idle, after startup apps finish loading :)*

LG 32in 4K IPS 32UP83A-W