cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build

dreamer_toons
Level 7
Hi all,

I have not been following the hardware for quite some time and planning to build a new ones in the coming days. In addition to web surfing and youtube, I will be gaming on FPS and photo editing with Photoshop on my 27" monitor at a resolution of 2560 by 1440.

These are my planned specifications:
1) i7 4770K and Maximus VI Hero
2) Asus GTX780 DirectCU II 3GB
3) Plextor M5Pro 256GB
4) Cooler Master V8GTS
5) Cooler Master V700 PSU
6) Cooler Master CM690 Advanced III

I'm torn between memory between
a) Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 CL9 16GB or
b) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 16GB

Will a 2133 make a significant performance gain over the 1600 variant? How about the Dominator with either variant?

At the same time, I will be doing some basic overclocking. Will a V8GTS adequate for cooling or I require the AIO water cooling?

Lastly, I usually game on high/ultra setting with maximum resolution. Someone told me that the current GTX770/780 2GB is sufficient to support my gaming. I am not planning to SLI in the near future; unless the current planned GPU is unable to support my usual setting in 2-3 years time. Therefore, will a current 2GB VRAM able to support my gaming or a 3GB VRAM is an overkill?

I appreciate advice and comments on the above and thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, dreamer_toons.

1. The i7-4770k paired up with a Maximus VI Hero is an amazing combination for gaming and equally powerful for all your photo editing needs. You'll have all the benefits of the ROG exclusive features at your disposal.

2. The GTX 780 has all the firepower you will ever need to game at High to Ultra settings at your resolution. It'll be a while before you'd need to drop another one in for SLI.

3. I have nothing against that Plextor SSD but the SAMSUNG 840 Pro 256GB is a much superior SSD in terms of both performance and reliability. And to top it off, it is cheaper than the Plextor.

4. The CM V8 GTS goes for almost the same as the Corsair H100i. I haven't seen the performance of the V8 GTS but one thing I can tell your for sure. The H100i is the best closed loop system there is at the moment.

5. When we build a system, we always try to forsee the future. I'd grab a 850W unit just in case you'll be adding another GTX 780 down the line. I'm particularly fond of Seasonic PSUs. They are the best manufucturer out there at the present.

6. Nothing to add here. The new CM 690 III looks slick. I like it.

Regarding the RAM, go with the Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 CL9 16GB. You'll benefit from the extra performance with 2133MHz when you're doing heavy workloads with your system like photo editing.

kkn
Level 14
the 850w psu like chino stated, 700 is bit weak for my liking.

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, dreamer_toons.

1. The i7-4770k paired up with a Maximus VI Hero is an amazing combination for gaming and equally powerful for all your photo editing needs. You'll have all the benefits of the ROG exclusive features at your disposal.

2. The GTX 780 has all the firepower you will ever need to game at High to Ultra settings at your resolution. It'll be a while before you'd need to drop another one in for SLI.

3. I have nothing against that Plextor SSD but the SAMSUNG 840 Pro 256GB is a much superior SSD in terms of both performance and reliability. And to top it off, it is cheaper than the Plextor.

4. The CM V8 GTS goes for almost the same as the Corsair H100i. I haven't seen the performance of the V8 GTS but one thing I can tell your for sure. The H100i is the best closed loop system there is at the moment.

5. When we build a system, we always try to forsee the future. I'd grab a 850W unit just in case you'll be adding another GTX 780 down the line. I'm particularly fond of Seasonic PSUs. They are the best manufucturer out there at the present.

6. Nothing to add here. The new CM 690 III looks slick. I like it.

Regarding the RAM, go with the Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 CL9 16GB. You'll benefit from the extra performance with 2133MHz when you're doing heavy workloads with your system like photo editing.

kkn wrote:
the 850w psu like chino stated, 700 is bit weak for my liking.

Thanks for the replies.

My apologies for being unclear. Currently, I already have the Plextor SSD, bought it cheap at the local store.

I read about the Secure Erase feature on the Hero and check against the Asus support list. The Plextor is not supported and wonder will it work with the feature. Anyone has success with drives other than those listed on Asus?

As for water cooling, I read some had corroded pipes and risk of leakage. Previously, I was on stock fan and plan to start off with better cooling for this upcoming build. In general, how effective is air cool vs water cool?

Will consider to include a higher PSU.

dreamer_toons wrote:

As for water cooling, I read some had corroded pipes and risk of leakage. Previously, I was on stock fan and plan to start off with better cooling for this upcoming build. In general, how effective is air cool vs water cool?

True. Watercooling isn't for everyone. Water and electronics are not good friends at all. Leakage from those closed loop systems happens rarely. But the risk of leaking is present nonetheless. If you're not comfortable with taking such a risk, then air cooling is the way to go. But performance wise, the H100i is hard to beat.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Samsung gets my vote too, I use them in all my enterprise builds.

If you can afford a more versatile PSU then do so. The PSU you listed only comes with a single 8pin (4+4) EPS connector, many system these days will require both a 8pin and a 4pin.

There will be benefit from the 2133MHz ram if rendering.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is maybe 2'C difference between a top closed WC system and a top air cooled system. So work on 100MHz difference between maximum OC between the two.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
just to have stated it, custom cooling is expensive ( if its that you was thinking of ) and you may void warranty on parts when starting to pull them apart.
closed loop coolers AKA H100i is safe route and cheep route to go.
air coolers, you have to take in consideration ram height and clearance on/to parts.

dreamer_toons
Level 7
Thanks for all the advices, will consider them.

How about using non-listed QVL with the ROG Secure Erase feature?

Chino
Level 15
There's is always a risk associated with using a component that's not on the QVL. It's a hit or miss situation. If your SSD isn't supported with the ROG Secure Erase feature, it's no biggie really. You can use other software to secure erase your SSD.