cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build pros/cons Z97 vs z170?

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Hi all!
Been looking into my options for a new build. Have a budget between $800- $900. However i already have a tower, video card and power supply for the new rig. So i have my whole budget for a mobo, Ram, SSD and CPU.

I've been doing alotta fishing around and keep finding myself debating the pros and cons between a z97 or z170 build . I love my current Hero 6 build . Cant find a hero 7 for any reasonable price in this market atm, but the hero 8 is totally affordable. Ddr4 ram is pretty affordable too. A 16gb kit would cost about the same as the Ddr3 kits ive been considering. But those lga 1151 processors are still really pricey atm. Especially if i want a K processor.( I do love overclocking!) Which is why im apprehensive. A good Skylake would consume half my budget, where I could buy a 4690k for half that price and have more to spend on a better mobo or larger SSD,etc.
I want to build a decently future-proof pc. Something i can upgrade components down the line before resorting to an entirely new build. I know Intel has at least 2 new series of cpus coming down the line after Skylake. Is it just too early to go z170 without needlessly paying extra cash?

I really prefer to stick with Asus, so if i can't find a Hero 7, id probably end up going with a Sabertooth. I do like the idea of long-lasting parts. I don't get to build a totally new pc very often. That Hero 8 does look really sexy... I bought my hero 6 RIGHT before the 7 came out and im still kicking myself for that oversight!
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro
14 REPLIES 14

I may actually order it from B&H! I ordered one from Amazon, but they're out of stock and i have no idea when they"ll get more. I just checked on B&H and they updated the price! Its $299 now instead of 379, and theres no tax , plus free expedited shipping , which according to their area map should only take one day to ship to my location! Think im going to cancel my Amazon order lol. That "no tax" alone will save me $20 ish.
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro

I say save up a week/fortnight more & get the z170 with the 6700K or at the least, the 6600K. It is more future-proof than the other build & is more powerful with newer features. Plus, u can change parts later without needing a totally new build.
About new stuff coming out next yr and/or 2018, don't worry bout that man. That is the way it works. We gotta live with things coming out and never staying on the cutting edge, unless we million-air's or something. Get the 980 now or wait for Pascal? Get this now or wait for that! I say get what u like now, what is good, then wait for what is coming. Cuz if u get what is coming, then a future 'coming' will come.
Asus & MSi FTW (For the WiN 🙂 !!

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Seems legit. Significantly cheaper than B&H too. Says they're all new, sealed etc. http://m.ebay.com/itm/191758246625?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Chino
Level 15
I would recommend you buy your motherboard from a shop than Ebay. The estimated price for the Maximus VIII Hero Alpha should be around 300USD.