cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build. Powered up, OS Installed. Now turns on for .5 sec & turns off immedietely.

Wolfaen
Level 7
Hey guys,

I'm in desperate need of help. I built a new computer over the weekend and did the first power up test and everything ran great. Posted to bios, set memory speed, noted CPU functioning, saved bios and restarted. Booted up great so I installed Windows 10. Everything was functioning perfectly so I shut down and did some final cable management. After I was done managing cables and zip tying cables down I tried to boot again. Now when I press the start button everything turns on for less than a second and turns off immediately.

Things I have tried:

-Checked all power cables to make sure everything is seated securely.

-Checked for any loose screws.

-Uninstalled GPU and SSD, but pc still failed to boot longer than .5 seconds.

-Tested PSU with paperclip test with just fans connected and it worked. All fans powered up.

-Tried uninstalling 1 of 2 sticks of RAM, but same issue.

Specs:

Intel i7-8086k

ASUS ROG Z390-E

Corsair Vengeance 2x8 DDR4 3600

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

EVGA RTX 2080

EVGA 850w P2

NZXT 360mm AIO (Using different fans not connected to cooler fan wires)

Corsair Crystal 570x

Wondering if possibly my motherboard is failing? The RGB lights on my MB light up when PSU is turned on, not sure if this is an indication if it is working or not though. Please if you have any ideas I'm desperate to figure out if a part is failing or if it is something simple that I am overlooking.
16 REPLIES 16

davemon50 wrote:
You will get a lot of answers on this forum for that question, lol. Probably all will be correct.

When I'm gaming on the desktop I have gotten in the habit of putting up my Radeon software (my cards are R9 Fury cards) and keeping an eye on power consumption and card temps. I also monitor system temps with AI Suite. HWinfo. HWmonitor. AIDA64. Speedfan. Also Windows has built in basic monitoring software in the Task Manager.

Ah, thats what I was afraid of. So there is really not an all in one software for monitoring temps? I'll look into the ones you have listed here!

davemon50
Level 11
I wrote that poorly. I don't use all of those software packages to monitor. Just the first two I mentioned, typically. The others I just listed to give you a place to start. 🙂
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I wrote that poorly. I don't use all of those software packages to monitor. Just the first two I mentioned, typically. The others I just listed to give you a place to start. 🙂

Played my first game on it last night. Saw mega increase in performance from my old pc. At least twice the FPS and was buttery smooth. I have no overclocks on anything yet. Temps on CPU during gameplay hovered mostly around 35C and never went above 50C. Temps on GPU were mostly ~55-60C highest seen was 70C. I was surprised how low the CPU temps were, but I do plan to overclock in the near future so it looks like I will be able to push it quite a bit more. So far so good!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
HWiNFO64 is pretty comprehensive and doesn't have unidentified or ghost sensors...It's my go-to at the moment

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
HWiNFO64 is pretty comprehensive and doesn't have unidentified or ghost sensors...It's my go-to at the moment

Totally with you on this one Arne' They do a fantastic job considering the limited resources those lads have and the breathtaking array of motherboards that they need to accommodate. Huge respect to them all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would like to just add that running two or more monitoring software applications is likely to result in incorrect data, simply because the applications will mess with the polling of the sensors and this can often lead to inaccurate data. So if possible use only ONE application at any one time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You know them?...course you do...know everybody...

It was actually one of the very very few free softwares I was going to send a donation on...on Threadripper it's been excellent since I have had it...and that's new platform