cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Formula VIII dual loop LCS i9- Is there a better mobo

Guttermedic
Level 7
Hi all,

Looking to get any advice at all or opinions. I have build experience, but this will be my first Water cooled.

What I know.

I bought a Thermaltake The tower 900. I couldn't pass it up. It was under $200

I am thinking about getting the Formula viii with an i9, I realize the z390's are fairly new and buggy.

My question is anyone feel this mobo is stable yet or should I look elsewhere? I chose this mobo for the cooling headers and software. But admit I have not seen the software yet or have even used the PWM pump header. I fear for the mobo to shutdown the system if the pump fails or whatever. Thoughts?

With the 2 RAD's in the back of the case with 4 fans each. Can I use a fan controller say one channel to run 4 fans with a 4 fan hub or a EK-Cable Splitter 4-Fan PWM Extended cable which all 4 fans plug into a splitter? Is there a better way maybe? I'm sure there is a watt limitation of the controller to consider as well.

I still have a ton of questions, but don't want to overwhelm. Thanks in advance for any help.
Evil will Triumph when Good Men do Nothing!

New Build First High end dual looped LCS with a Z390 I9 Formula VIII
12 REPLIES 12

Ashwind wrote:
You are correct you can change the profile for your water pump header in Qfan BUT you can only use the cpu temp NOT the coolant temp for the pwm curve as qfan does not allow you to change the source for the curve, you can change the 'source' in the monitor>qfan config for all chassis fans and aio headder (which also sets the water pump header) but there is not an option to change the source for the pump headers thus making the water pump header just another cpu header

In that case, what behaviour are you seeing when you go to Q-FAN Configuration and enable W_PUMP+ Control, set this to PWM and then set W_PUMP+ Q-Fan Source to Water in T Sensor?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Ashwind
Level 9
Thats the problem there is no option in bios to change source to T sensor for the water pump header in Qfan or in Qfan config only pwm or dc thats your only options.
Dont get me wrong the formula is great board but if like myself you bought the board because of the advertised water cooling features you would be disappointed as they are mostly half thought through and are in terms of a custom loop are no different than any other board with out the water cooling headers.
Lets not even mention the software such as AIsuite that can give you a very dangerous overclock just by running the auto tune.

Ashwind wrote:
Thats the problem there is no option in bios to change source to T sensor for the water pump header in Qfan or in Qfan config only pwm or dc thats your only options

This isn't the behavior I'm seeing. I can set any one of a number of sources for the fan curve based on W_PUMP+, including Water in T. Are you talking about the Formula XI, which UEFI build?

There are two separate options, one enables control in which you can select between PWM or DC, the option for temperature source is directly below this.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090