cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Formula VIII dual loop LCS i9- Is there a better mobo

Guttermedic
Level 7
Hi all,

Looking to get any advice at all or opinions. I have build experience, but this will be my first Water cooled.

What I know.

I bought a Thermaltake The tower 900. I couldn't pass it up. It was under $200

I am thinking about getting the Formula viii with an i9, I realize the z390's are fairly new and buggy.

My question is anyone feel this mobo is stable yet or should I look elsewhere? I chose this mobo for the cooling headers and software. But admit I have not seen the software yet or have even used the PWM pump header. I fear for the mobo to shutdown the system if the pump fails or whatever. Thoughts?

With the 2 RAD's in the back of the case with 4 fans each. Can I use a fan controller say one channel to run 4 fans with a 4 fan hub or a EK-Cable Splitter 4-Fan PWM Extended cable which all 4 fans plug into a splitter? Is there a better way maybe? I'm sure there is a watt limitation of the controller to consider as well.

I still have a ton of questions, but don't want to overwhelm. Thanks in advance for any help.
Evil will Triumph when Good Men do Nothing!

New Build First High end dual looped LCS with a Z390 I9 Formula VIII
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Do you mean the Formula XI? I've been using the board since launch with no problems at all. 5GHz on all cores with 4GHz memory on a full custom loop with temperatures controlled on Q-FAN via Water in T header.

All of this can be done via the UEFI within Q-FAN including the fan curves and min and max duty. There is no need to install software if you desire not to use Ai Suite.

Regarding fan configuration, I would personally remove the need for a fan controller from the system and make use of the onboard fan controls. Depending on the fans used, using a single header can split the tach signal over the 4 fans (make sure to use the right splitter with single tach signal). Standard headers provide 12W, with the high amp header providing 36W. Alternatively, PWM hubs are also fine, sending a single tach signal to the respective header.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

Do you mean the Formula XI? I've been using the board since launch with no problems at all. 5GHz on all cores with 4GHz memory on a full custom loop with temperatures controlled on Q-FAN via Water in T header.

All of this can be done via the UEFI within Q-FAN including the fan curves and min and max duty. There is no need to install software if you desire not to use Ai Suite.

Regarding fan configuration, I would personally remove the need for a fan controller from the system and make use of the onboard fan controls. Depending on the fans used, using a single header can split the tach signal over the 4 fans (make sure to use the right splitter with single tach signal). Standard headers provide 12W, with the high amp header providing 36W. Alternatively, PWM hubs are also fine, sending a single tach signal to the respective header.

Thanks for replying Silent,

I was with the understanding that VIII was the latest version of that mobo. Anyway still trying to rap my head around all the info. #playingcatchup lol

In the past I would have always agreed with you that the modo header is the safest way to run fans, but In my case the "case" will have 14 high CFM's fans with more watts than a header can handle. The controller I was looking at can handle 36w per line of 6 lines with a PWM signal from the header. It just means that all fans would speed up slow down together at the same time. Not ideal for a multi looped system. ie CPU heat and GPU heat. Just me thinking out load!

I will research the use of multiple 4 port fan hubs. 1 for each RAD/header and 1 for case fans and 1 for the q link PSU.

But as was pointed out the PWMs are controlled by CPU temp and not coolant in/out. Clearly I have more homework ahead.

Ashwind
Level 9
I have had a formula VIII and now a formula IX and to be perfectly honest the water cooling header / features are a bit of a gimmick or at least a half-arsed attempt at water cooling features.
For example you have a dedicated water pump header that you can only set a pwm curve for from the CPU temps not the coolant temp, the water in/out you cant use for pwn curves either, the only way I could get use any pwm curve with coolant temps was to plug my temp sensor into temp sensor1 header which granted does work but why have all these water cooling features that 'almost' work

Ashwind wrote:
I have had a formula VIII and now a formula IX and to be perfectly honest the water cooling header / features are a bit of a gimmick or at least a half-arsed attempt at water cooling features.
For example you have a dedicated water pump header that you can only set a pwm curve for from the CPU temps not the coolant temp, the water in/out you cant use for pwn curves either, the only way I could get use any pwm curve with coolant temps was to plug my temp sensor into temp sensor1 header which granted does work but why have all these water cooling features that 'almost' work

You'd need to post your BIOS settings. I've successfully set the pump header curve to Water in T sensor without an issue.

Ashwind wrote:

Thank you Ashwind,

This is the info I need to help make a better informed choice on which mobo to get. $400+ wasted or thought out.

You bring up a valid point I hadn't thought of yet. CPU verses coolant temp. And if I may add coolant temps before and after RADs to see how defective heat dissipation is in the overall loop.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Straight up no BS. Dont use the headers on the MOBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely marketing gimmick.
Get a different fan controller!!!!!!! Any fan controlller!!!!!!! Pay you kid to turn a knob if you have to!!!!!
Aquacomputer is about the best on the market but there are others.
I love ASUS boards but two things blow and always have and most likely always will.

1) Anything software related. IMO they need to fire both people working on all software platforms as in AI suite, GPU Tweak, AURA etc and hire a decent team.
2) Fan controllers whether it be MOBO or GPUs. The only thing fan related plugged into my MOBO is the speed feedback coming from my aquaero 6 pro to the CPU socket because in true ASUS fashion if I disable the CPU fan alarm in the BIOS so I dont have to run that wire..........it does nothing and wont boot, simply gives me the alert that I disabled anyway. You report it trying to help development and all you get is a HS kid reading from a power point flow chart giving you responses that are obviously scripted or when it gets escalated the problems that have been reported thousands of times eerily cannot be reproduced in the ASUS lab.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Straight up no BS.

Thank you Justin, That's what I was afraid of and was in the back of my mind. Mobo's in the past have never been as smart as their marketing teams protrade them to be.

I think I will look into a different mobo to buy and leave the cooling to external controllers. After finding out that Asus flat out lied about the VRM and the whole phase BS, and now the pump, flow, fan headers are not as cool and neat as it sounded.

Time to put that mobo money into performance not LCS

Guttermedic wrote:
Thank you Justin, That's what I was afraid of and was in the back of my mind. Mobo's in the past have never been as smart as their marketing teams protrade them to be.

I think I will look into a different mobo to buy and leave the cooling to external controllers. After finding out that Asus flat out lied about the VRM and the whole phase BS, and now the pump, flow, fan headers are not as cool and neat as it sounded.

Time to put that mobo money into performance not LCS

Keep in mind that it helps to have the board you're complaining about, which some users do not. Making blanket statements regarding onboard fan controls, and then not really elaberating on why something is fubar doesn't help anyone.

I've been a power user a lot longer than I have been affiliated with ASUS, and can honestly say there are no issues with running Q-Fan on the board. My x299 system uses an Aquereo 6, and when it comes to simply setting up Q-FAN on the Formula XI there's no real disadvantage. If anything (in that regard), it's better - as there's no service required in the OS. It's also possible to setup fan control based on a number of sources, not just CPU temperature.

All depends what you are looking to do, but if you’re buying an external controller simply to control two or three signals then personally, I feel it’s a waste of money (if one knows how to set things up correctly).

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Keep in mind that it helps to have the board you're complaining about, which some users do not. Making blanket statements regarding onboard fan controls, and then not really elaberating on why something is fubar doesn't help anyone.

I've been a power user a lot longer than I have been affiliated with ASUS, and can honestly say there are no issues with running Q-Fan on the board. My x299 system uses an Aquereo 6, and when it comes to simply setting up Q-FAN on the Formula XI there's no real disadvantage. If anything (in that regard), it's better - as there's no service required in the OS. It's also possible to setup fan control based on a number of sources, not just CPU temperature.

All depends what you are looking to do, but if you’re buying an external controller simply to control two or three signals then personally, I feel it’s a waste of money (if one knows how to set things up correctly).

You are correct you can change the profile for your water pump header in Qfan BUT you can only use the cpu temp NOT the coolant temp for the pwm curve as qfan does not allow you to change the source for the curve, you can change the 'source' in the monitor>qfan config for all chassis fans and aio headder (which also sets the water pump header) but there is not an option to change the source for the pump headers thus making the water pump header just another cpu header