cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build desktop slow on restart and on booting from shutdown

Tsou88
Level 7
Hello… i recently build my pc and i notice that when i turn it on from a shutdown or restart it takes about a minute to boot to windows.. my setup is *
rog maximus extreme z690,
i9 12900k unlocked,
2x16gb *corsair dominator platinum
Psu Corsair rm1000x
Artic cpu cooler ,4 corsair case fans*
4tb ssd samsung for storage
1tb samsung 980 pro nmve which runs windows 10 pro and some programs
Any advice would be*Much appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

ahfoo wrote:
Now the that left with only your windows envirorement, apps and driver. FYI, the more windows startup program also increase boot time the same time shutting down or reboot your system. You can now checking on your windows 10/11 to see any other issue.

i tried with removed 2nd ssd and nothing happend, i also try with fast boot disabled and with disabled all startup prog except the microsoft and same result. Also i performed a full scan and memtest and no errors or anything

Yes the same here. First.......

ASUS Prime Z690-A.
Corsair Vengence DDR5 5600Mhz.
i7-12700KF, 3,6 GHz (4,9 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1700 processor
ASUS RTX3060TI
1x Samsung EVO 980, 1x 970 NMVE M.2 1TB drives and an old 960 250GB as an startup device for Windows.
850W Coolermaster V2 modulair PSU.
Windows 11 and Office 2021. All up to date.

Was shocked when I turned on the rapid Intel storage option inside the BIOS. Gone where all my M.2 devices. Saw Windows, but crashed always with a famous Blue screen; No accessible boot device found. Turned that Rapid Intel Storage **** off. It saw then my M.2 drives again. Then that slow behavior.

Installed the latest BIOS 2103 against the 0803 shipped BIOS. (Why that ****ing large jump in versions?) No solution at all. Behavior was the same.

Windows was not the problem. The bootup was the problem. Turns out that an old SSD card (OZC) was the problem. Despite into a 8x slot, the motherboard did not like that old SSD card. (In a RAID 1 modus) No drivers also under Windows. Everything was unknown. Tried every settings in the BIOS. Slow reboots. My old Asus Maximus Ranger VIII was very much faster.

Conclusion; If slow then some old device doesn't do well under a modern system. Removing that old OCZ SSD card did the trick for me. Took some time to realize. No info anywhere about this problem. A clue was that that card's "BIOS" didn't show up during the boot. System tried to access it, but it could not make head or tails of it.

Now? Rapid boots and shutdowns. Things to do? Save my data of that old OZC SSD card. Other system can't boot anymore because the boot device (M.2) is moved to a new system. Everything took me a day to solve. By sharing this info I hope that an other person would not waste a day because of this problem.

Tsou88
Level 7
The only thing that males me wonder if its causing this slow performance on start restart or shutdown is my ram…but i ve been told that my ram is compatible even tho the clock speed is different

Tsou88 wrote:
The only thing that males me wonder if its causing this slow performance on start restart or shutdown is my ram…but i ve been told that my ram is compatible even tho the clock speed is different

I am not really understand the statement "but i ve been told that my ram is compatible even tho the clock speed is different"

Basically as mention by yourself was that you pass the scan and memtest. You dont have to worry about the RAM speed now. What you want to improve the startup, restart and shutdown speed. If that so, forget about the RAM speed and concentrate your windows setup for example driver and apps. Check what the apps that hogging you down for shutdown and what hidden apps causing your system to startup slowly.

Remember when boot process pass the post boot, it all about windows 10/11 will take over and boot to windows.

ahfoo wrote:
I am not really understand the statement "but i ve been told that my ram is compatible even tho the clock speed is different"

Basically as mention by yourself was that you pass the scan and memtest. You dont have to worry about the RAM speed now. What you want to improve the startup, restart and shutdown speed. If that so, forget about the RAM speed and concentrate your windows setup for example driver and apps. Check what the apps that hogging you down for shutdown and what hidden apps causing your system to startup slowly.

Remember when boot process pass the post boot, it all about windows 10/11 will take over and boot to windows.

well after some researching and talking with some friends i update to the latest bios of my motherboard.. the pc starts almost half of the time than before about 15 seconds till windows login.. but resrting and shutting down remain the same about 26-30 secondsÂ*

DarvinAtkeson
Level 7
Please clarify where the slowdown occurs.
Is it the time it takes just to reach the POST screen (Del / F2 to enter BIOS?)

or is it the time it takes from the POST screen to load Windows?

If it is the time it takes to post, tell us which Q-Code (The two digit display on the motherboard) stays up the longest.

Is it hanging on B4 for about half the time it takes to POST?

-Darv