cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build advice and suggestions

daydr3am3r
Level 7
I want to build a new PC for gaming and work and I am having a hard time deciding.
It's also been a while since I've done this so I'm kinda out of the loop (or so it feels this way) when it comes to new hardware.
I usually don't change my PC too often so I'd like to go with something that will last for a few years. This is also the reason I haven't set a budget yet.
This is what I've come up with so far.


  • Case: Be quiet! Dark Base 900, FullTower + some extra Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM fans if needed
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMi Series RM750i, 80 PLUS® Gold, 750 W, PFC Activ, ATX 2.4
  • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO, Socket 1151
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Coffee Lake, 3.70GHz, 12M, Socket 1151
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Video Card: ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, 11GB GDDR5X, 352-bit
  • SSD: Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB, SATA III, M.2
  • HDD: SEAGATE IronWolf NAS 2TB, 5900rpm, SATA3, 64MB (I already have this and didn't use it at all and since it's all about storage...)
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB DDR4, 3000MHz, CL16, Dual Channel
  • Monitor: PG27VQ vs PG278QR (not sure which one but I'd like to go 2K)


Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing?
5,904 Views
18 REPLIES 18

itsGucci-1921
Level 7
daydr3am3r wrote:
I want to build a new PC for gaming and work and I am having a hard time deciding.
It's also been a while since I've done this so I'm kinda out of the loop (or so it feels this way) when it comes to new hardware.
I usually don't change my PC too often so I'd like to go with something that will last for a few years. This is also the reason I haven't set a budget yet.
This is what I've come up with so far.


  • Case: Be quiet! Dark Base 900, FullTower + some extra Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM fans if needed
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMi Series RM750i, 80 PLUS® Gold, 750 W, PFC Activ, ATX 2.4
  • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO, Socket 1151
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Coffee Lake, 3.70GHz, 12M, Socket 1151
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Video Card: ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, 11GB GDDR5X, 352-bit
  • SSD: Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB, SATA III, M.2
  • HDD: SEAGATE IronWolf NAS 2TB, 5900rpm, SATA3, 64MB (I already have this and didn't use it at all and since it's all about storage...)
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB DDR4, 3000MHz, CL16, Dual Channel
  • Monitor: PG27VQ vs PG278QR (not sure which one but I'd like to go 2K)


Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing?


I went with very similar built. i have the pg289q!! ips panel is very good imo.

itsGucci-1921 wrote:
I went with very similar built. i have the pg289q!! ips panel is very good imo.


PG289Q? You mean 279? https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/ I couldn't find any 289.
Anyway, this was also on my list but I kept hearing about people returning it because of the backlight bleeding problems.

To be honest choosing a monitor was the hardest part of all. I'm afraid the TN panel ones will have horrible colors and angles (I am kinda used to this however since I only had one IPS monitor and the rest were TFT and TNs) but I'm also afraid of the backlight bleeding problems. Sure, I could return it any time but I'd like to avoid this.

Do you experience any problems regarding those issues or due to the 4ms response time?

daydr3am3r wrote:
PG289Q? You mean 279? https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/ I couldn't find any 289.
Anyway, this was also on my list but I kept hearing about people returning it because of the backlight bleeding problems.

To be honest choosing a monitor was the hardest part of all. I'm afraid the TN panel ones will have horrible colors and angles (I am kinda used to this however since I only had one IPS monitor and the rest were TFT and TNs) but I'm also afraid of the backlight bleeding problems. Sure, I could return it any time but I'd like to avoid this.

Do you experience any problems regarding those issues or due to the 4ms response time?


My mistake. I meant ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. I went through the trouble of returning 6 different monitor. This one had the less black light bleed compared to all the other monitor I tried. The setting i use for the monitor is in racing mode. Brightness = 15; Contrast = 50; R=97, G=93, B=100. Pairing the monitor with the 1080 is very nice for gaming. Im still waiting for my 2080 ti pre order to arrive.

You can check out my build and compare. I went with the corsair power supply because their warranty is better than Evga. Corsair would replace the unit with a brand new unit if anything would to happen instead of Evga refurbish unit. Memories, I went with the Corsair LOW Profile 32g kit to fit the cpu fan and 32g would future proof my system for what I need.

itsGucci-1921 wrote:
My mistake. I meant ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. I went through the trouble of returning 6 different monitor. This one had the less black light bleed compared to all the other monitor I tried. The setting i use for the monitor is in racing mode. Brightness = 15; Contrast = 50; R=97, G=93, B=100. Pairing the monitor with the 1080 is very nice for gaming. Im still waiting for my 2080 ti pre order to arrive.

You can check out my build and compare. I went with the corsair power supply because their warranty is better than Evga. Corsair would replace the unit with a brand new unit if anything would to happen instead of Evga refurbish unit. Memories, I went with the Corsair LOW Profile 32g kit to fit the cpu fan and 32g would future proof my system for what I need.


Thanks. Think I'll go with this kit: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
I believe it's the same you're using. And I've heard some good things about it.

About the CPU cooler, I've decided to go with Noctua NH-D15 since everyone keeps saying how good it is but frankly I'm a little paranoid about this. Is it a good choice or should I go with something else?

daydr3am3r wrote:
Thanks. Think I'll go with this kit: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
I believe it's the same you're using. And I've heard some good things about it.

About the CPU cooler, I've decided to go with Noctua NH-D15 since everyone keeps saying how good it is but frankly I'm a little paranoid about this. Is it a good choice or should I go with something else?


when building my pc, I think i spent 2 weeks reading up on aio and air cooler, I decided to go with the Noctua nh-d15. It’s the safely route imo. 6 year warranty and no need to worry about pump failure and leakage. Even though the nhd15 is huge af. I grew to liking the look of it. It sorta give my pc a beastly machine look. optimus prime from the transformer. Pure performance and is dead silent. On a side note. I will adding 4 more noctua pwm 140mm fan because they’re on sale. Everything added up is probably same price as a 360 aio.... also i read up on delidding but that’s probably not going to happen until my warranty is over. The pc is fast enough for my usage at the time being

the Noctua NH-D15s and get an additional fan. This cooler offers more clearance. And I would purchase G.Skill memory.

Nate152
Moderator
Hi daydr3am3r

It looks good, if I were to change anything probably the psu and ram.

EVGA Supernova 750w platinum - 10 year warranty
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Platinum-Warranty-220-P2-0750-X1/dp/B010HWDP48/ref=sr_1_3?s=el...

Corsair Vengeance LPX, is low profile for the NH-D15
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863&cm_re=ares_ddr4-_-20-233-863-_-Prod...

Everything else looks good, if you shop around you can get a 34 inch 3440x1440 100Hz monitor for just over 500.00.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi daydr3am3r

It looks good, if I were to change anything probably the psu and ram.

EVGA Supernova 750w platinum - 10 year warranty
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Platinum-Warranty-220-P2-0750-X1/dp/B010HWDP48/ref=sr_1_3?s=el...

Corsair Vengeance LPX, is low profile for the NH-D15
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863&cm_re=ares_ddr4-_-20-233-863-_-Prod...

Everything else looks good, if you shop around you can get a 34 inch 3440x1440 100Hz monitor for just over 500.00.


Thanks for the tip. I never thought the NH-D15 could be so big so I never considered low profile memory.
Any thoughts on 32GBs? I'm still not sure if I should get 16 or 32 GBs.

I already considered a 34" 4K monitor but I have some problems with ultra wide displays. Besides I have some bad experience with 4K scaling on Windows so I thought 2K is more than enough on 27".

Retired
Not applicable
In my humble opinion, if you're looking for a build to last a couple years, then the one you chosen isn't the case. However, if you intend on overclocking your cpu/ram, it's a good option. If you decide to purchase a solid PC, check out my specification's, for example. You'll get an idea this way. If you shall choose an central processing unit with 16 core's & up, Intel or AMD, it doesn't matter. I assure you that. When it come's to random access memory, allocate all slot's, to use the full potential of your motherboard, it'll be up to 128 gigabytes, that's if you decide on a serious cpu 🙂 Yes, you may overclock Intel's or AMD's awesome multi-core's cpu's, however, you will need proper cooling and that would be liquid only. Overclocking with air cooling, mean's short-term life cycle on components.
In the end, deciding on this specific build, require's particular budget, moreover, rest assured, you will never go back to cheap cpu's.