cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build advice and suggestions

daydr3am3r
Level 7
I want to build a new PC for gaming and work and I am having a hard time deciding.
It's also been a while since I've done this so I'm kinda out of the loop (or so it feels this way) when it comes to new hardware.
I usually don't change my PC too often so I'd like to go with something that will last for a few years. This is also the reason I haven't set a budget yet.
This is what I've come up with so far.

• Case: Be quiet! Dark Base 900, FullTower + some extra Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM fans if needed
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMi Series RM750i, 80 PLUS® Gold, 750 W, PFC Activ, ATX 2.4
  • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO, Socket 1151
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Coffee Lake, 3.70GHz, 12M, Socket 1151
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Video Card: ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, 11GB GDDR5X, 352-bit
  • SSD: Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB, SATA III, M.2
  • HDD: SEAGATE IronWolf NAS 2TB, 5900rpm, SATA3, 64MB (I already have this and didn't use it at all and since it's all about storage...)
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB DDR4, 3000MHz, CL16, Dual Channel
  • Monitor: PG27VQ vs PG278QR (not sure which one but I'd like to go 2K)

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing?
18 REPLIES 18

AS185 wrote:
In my humble opinion, if you're looking for a build to last a couple years, then the one you chosen isn't the case. However, if you intend on overclocking your cpu/ram, it's a good option. If you decide to purchase a solid PC, check out my specification's, for example. You'll get an idea this way. If you shall choose an central processing unit with 16 core's & up, Intel or AMD, it doesn't matter. I assure you that. When it come's to random access memory, allocate all slot's, to use the full potential of your motherboard, it'll be up to 128 gigabytes, that's if you decide on a serious cpu 🙂 Yes, you may overclock Intel's or AMD's awesome multi-core's cpu's, however, you will need proper cooling and that would be liquid only. Overclocking with air cooling, mean's short-term life cycle on components.
In the end, deciding on this specific build, require's particular budget, moreover, rest assured, you will never go back to cheap cpu's.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. I'm curious though, why do you believe this will get dated that fast?

Retired
Not applicable
daydr3am3r wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. I'm curious though, why do you believe this will get dated that fast?

I believe that, if you want to build a PC, make it a solid one from the start. As you mentioned, that you liked it to function for a couple years, why not build a beast, that has components on the bleeding edge of technology? The technology of the given time is tremendous and it will continue to be for a while 🙂 Processor's, motherboard's, ram, solid state devices, PCIe hard drives, graphic card's and all other component's that come to mind are so advanced in this age. Their so fast, that make's you wonder what the future has in store for us 🙂 Cpu's, if chosen from the top shelf, for sure, need no modification for a few years. The only thing to keep in mind is changing your random access memory such as adding more module's, amending your storage devices or graphic cards. With the last component mentioned, unfortunately, you probably need to adjust sooner. However, if you choose GTX1080Ti or 2080 series, it won't be a bad decision but a good one, at least for the near future.
You might not buy 128 gigabytes of random access memory at first because I know it's really expensive but why not settle for the half of it? I have 64GB running under 3000mhz (yep, it's overclocked :p). When I bought this computer, at the first glance, it was under JEDEC standards (2666mhz). Once it was tweaked, I noticed a minor details in graphical display, a bit more richer colors but the actual speed of my system, it reacts the same as of standard ram frequency. I doubt that 16 or 32GB modules installed are to compare with 64 gigabytes or more, even for daily basis computing.
All in all, it entirely depends on what you have planned for your PC. If you're looking into mainly gaming, proceed on establishing that beast :cool: Once you have it, for sure, regular computing such as browsing the internet, drafting document's on Microsoft Word or just listening to music, will enlighten your overall experience & satisfaction, that you have this system.

Nate152
The Maximus X series are one generation old as the Maximus XI boards and 9700k - 9900k have been released.

But the Hero X, 8700k and your 1080 Ti at 2k will last quite a while, you can expect 100+ FPS with the highest game settings, no antialiasing.

16GB of ram is enough for gaming, I'd only go 32GB if you need it for work.

Check my specs

Vlada011
Level 10
Memory 3200MHz, Chipset Z390. Processor decide between i7-8700K and i9-9900K.
i9-9900K is disappoint for me.
I never have big demands for processors. From i7-3700K I request 4.5GHz stable I got 4.8GHz,
Lack of watercooling save him from 5.0GHz Prime95 stable.
From i7-5820K I had demand to work on default voltage on 4.0GHz and to be stable on 4.5GHz, they were capable.
i9-9-7900X my vision was to work stable on 4.5GHz all cores default voltage and they can and could be OC even more.
From i9-9900K I request only 5.0GHz stable on all clocks on default voltage. And he fail and need a lot of voltage, it's hottest Intel CPU Ever.
And plus I saw sanding of die, you hear me good, sanding die with sand paper.

They didn't use same soldered method, and they made some mistake obvious and now blame people becasue they asked solder.
Like we are crazy. Why i7-6950X is not so hot.

rgpsoccer
Level 7
daydr3am3r wrote:
I want to build a new PC for gaming and work and I am having a hard time deciding.
It's also been a while since I've done this so I'm kinda out of the loop (or so it feels this way) when it comes to new hardware.
I usually don't change my PC too often so I'd like to go with something that will last for a few years. This is also the reason I haven't set a budget yet.
This is what I've come up with so far.

• Case: Be quiet! Dark Base 900, FullTower + some extra Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM fans if needed
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMi Series RM750i, 80 PLUS® Gold, 750 W, PFC Activ, ATX 2.4
  • Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO, Socket 1151
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Coffee Lake, 3.70GHz, 12M, Socket 1151
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Video Card: ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, 11GB GDDR5X, 352-bit
  • SSD: Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB, SATA III, M.2
  • HDD: SEAGATE IronWolf NAS 2TB, 5900rpm, SATA3, 64MB (I already have this and didn't use it at all and since it's all about storage...)
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB DDR4, 3000MHz, CL16, Dual Channel
  • Monitor: PG27VQ vs PG278QR (not sure which one but I'd like to go 2K)

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing?

I saw that Fry's Electronics has that processor on sale right now

Nate152

NemesisChild
Level 12
Delidding is the way to go:

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=12391254949974
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe is Noctua NH-D15 best Air cooler but I never back on Air any more.
Watercooling is not only because performance. It' become monotonous changing constant platform add AIO system and that's it, later only work about PC is cleaning dust.

I definitely missed to work more around PC and upgrade platform and GPU is not only enthusiasm.
For first I want to escape from RGB world and investing from time to time in watercooling parts even if platform is 2-3-4 years old is definitely cool.

I decide for future, Poseidon arrive tomorrow or day after than I will stay with 200-300 euro in pocket to buy 1TB M.2 and from January start official saving for next platform.
Every month 100 euro on side. 8 months successor of i9-9820X, 12 months Rampage 7 Apex, 14 months, 32GB of DDR4. Plus few hundreds from my RIG. And no hurry, if Intel launch 3rd CPU in 2066 socket, never mine delay, every month 100 euro more for better platform, until DDR5 or something really new.

Definitely new memory, new socket and processor and chipset are best reason to upgrade. Maxed we wait was 5-6 years I think between new memories.

kkn
Level 14
here you see the ND15 fan on my system. its HUGE ( its a 150mm fan ) and you may have to move the fan a bit up like i had to.
dont mind the dust.............