cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on choosing IPS monitors from Asus

trylle
Level 7
Hi,its my first time here on asus board. I have a few concerns about out my choice of mobo and some other things.

Budget:3400 US dollars ish
Main uses of intended build: Gaming,dual screen,PMS of ps3,Virtual PC,watching 1080 series and movies and having alot of tabs in Chrome and FF at the same time
Parts required:
MB:ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, Socket-2011-3
CPU:Intel Core i7-5820K, Socket-LGA2011-3,but I am thinking of buying Intel Core i7-5930K, Socket-LGA2011-3 due to 40 PCI Lanes
GPU:836170 EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, "ForTheWin+ - FTW+", ACX 2.0+, DL-DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3xDP
RAM:823282 Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800MHz 16GB DDR4, 2800MHz 16GB 4 x 288 DIMM, Unbuffered, 16-18-18-36, DOMINATOR® Platinum
PSU: 824075 Corsair HX750i, 750W PSU ATX
NVMe SSD: Intel® 750 SSD 400GB PCIe 3.0 HHHL OR Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD
Case: 773434 Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl vifter: 1x 140mm front, 1x 140mm bak, 1x 140mm bunn, støydempet, m/e/xl-ATX
CPU cooling: Im not sure yet,im not really a OC,but I would like a good and solid CPU cooler that is easy to install.
Monitor: Dell 25" LED UltraSharp U2515H 2560x1440 IPS, 6ms, 2m:1, 2xHDMI/mDP/DP

Previous build information (list details of parts):
1x 1tb hdd,2x 3tb hdd ( and 1 ssd maybee)
Monitor resolution:1920x1080
Storage requirements: None storage requirement,but I do plan on buying 1 or 2 6tb black hdd from WD because I hear a noise from one of my hdd's.
Will you be overclocking: I might gonna Overclock at some point,but not now.
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
Extra information about desired system:

----------------------

* Budget: I was thinking around 3300 US dollars,but I can add more,but that is reserved for 2x WD 6tb hdd black/ 32gb RAM or a i7- 5930k

* What that budget needs to include. I do have mouse and KB such as headsett, I only need a optical DVD drive,but thats very cheap.

* What the main uses of the PC will be. playing games on it,but I also gonna use the pc for Dual screen setup,PMS on my ps3,1080p movies/series FF and Chrome with a lot of tabs open at the same time and Virtual PC for server use. I wont re use my current pc, I will most likely use my current as a server. I have plans on going a PC educaton with interest based on servers so I might need more RAM for SW.

* The spec of your current PC and whether you are re-using any parts from it. My specs on this pc is really bad, I havent upgraded my pc in 5years,except for a few new hdd's.

* The native resolution of your monitor. My current Monitor which I will use as my second screen has resolution at 1920x1080,My new IPS monitor will be at 1440p.

* Whether you will be overclocking or not. as stated before,Im not gonna overclock now,but I might try it later at some point.

* How much storage space you require. As much as I can get,but right now Im thinking of upgrading to 2x 6tb hdd from WD.

* Do you have any special requirements? I want a nice cooled off case with fans in it so the tempereature inside is low in the summer. I do have thought of buying some FANs,but im not sure, but I might try with a combination of SP and AF fans from Corsair.

I also was thinking of ASus Deluxe x99 mobo,but I heard more and more people had problems with this mobo. Or if I should go for the Deluxe,im not sure, but I was hoping some advice from you asus pro's.

I have several questions really.First of this is my first X99 board.I really wanted a nice MB with many PCI-E ports + sata and USB connectivity and such. My current PC is now 5 years old and I need new HW. And I really liked the UEFI BIOS on the asus r5e.But I want HW really.

So I have done a lot of reasearch and I found that all X99 mb have issues with boot relating to USB ports plugged when booting in POST. And compatible with certain DDR4 RAM. I want to use quad-channel.
This leads me to the to RAM question, I read on this forum that not all RAM is compatible with this MB,I mean the clock frequence.So im a little afraid to order wrong type of RAM.
Im also wondering about to buy the Intel 750 ssd 400gb,but then I saw the new Samsung 950 m.2 which is the fastest for consumers. Im wondering which one I should choose. I am also not sure if I can use the NVMe pci-e based card on m.2 and get full speed or if I need to use it on a PCI-E slot for the 4x pci-lanes for the fastest speed,because if not I need to buy a PCI-e adapter for the m.2 card.I also found out theres a hot fix for it on win7,and Im not installing win8.
Also asking if its possible to put a NVMe card on the PCI-E socket and 1 on m.2 socket and use it at RAID. And if its any problems to boot it up when I re install my OS from time to time.

I live in Norway,so its more expensive here for PC parts.
61 REPLIES 61

Chino wrote:
Do you use your system solely for gaming?

No,Im not gonna use it solely for gaming,I do plan on playing games on it,but I also gonna use the pc for Dual screen setup,PMS,1080p movies/series FF and Chrome with alot of tabs open at the same time.
But I also need enough RAM for Virtual PC for testing out a Server,so im not sure if 16gb is enough Virtual PC.

Im also gonna add the monitor that im gonna buy on my setup.

I know any of these mobos is probably Overkill,but I dont mind that.

EDIT: I copyed and pasted the template,I didnt know so thats my bad.

ghillieG
Level 7
For me all the 'Gaming' features that the RVE offers is the decisive point.
The different ASUS models, in X99 series vary according to the primary intended use.
I am running a high speed RAM kit 2800 MHz @ 64 Gig, Gskill memory.
And a SM951 512GB AHCI MZHPV512HDGL-00000 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD.
Also Windows 10 OS.
All of my hardware works perfectly well on the RVE MB.
No problems at all with the HS memory.
And why use other than the M.2?
Fast/half a TB Boot drive all on the MB.
M.2 is accessed by the CPU Pcie gen 3 on the RVE.
Only a larger capacity ssd would mean using an AIC option.
It won't be long before 1TB M.2 is available!
And an i7 5820K is all you need, for support, up to two GPU's.

ghillieG wrote:
For me all the 'Gaming' features that the RVE offers is the decisive point.
The different ASUS models, in X99 series vary according to the primary intended use.
I am running a high speed RAM kit 2800 MHz @ 64 Gig, Gskill memory.
And a SM951 512GB AHCI MZHPV512HDGL-00000 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD.
Also Windows 10 OS.
All of my hardware works perfectly well on the RVE MB.
No problems at all with the HS memory.
And why use other than the M.2?
Fast/half a TB Boot drive all on the MB.
M.2 is accessed by the CPU Pcie gen 3 on the RVE.
Only a larger capacity ssd would mean using an AIC option.
It won't be long before 1TB M.2 is available!
And an i7 5820K is all you need, for support, up to two GPU's.

I am leaning toward the RVE board, since I really like the layout of ports,good sound,pci-e slots,overclocking possibilities,a very nice uefi BIOS that doesnt focus to much on OC when you enter BIOS.you instead get alot of really nice overview of the important stuff.

Do you use the sm951 m.2 card on the m.2 slot? If so what R/W do you that is shown on the product info.I mean do you get lower R/W than advertised? And lastly does putting the m.2 card on a m.2 slot yield 2500/1500?
And how is it to boot the m.2 card in POST,what kind of settings do I need change in BIOS to make it work as a bootable ssd. I heard its a hot fix/quick fix for win7.
Or if I need to use m.2 card on a pci-e card in order to achieve 2500/1500 R/W as advertised.

When it comes to the RAM, I read on this forum that theres RAM sheet that shows what RAM is compatible with this MB.So I want to make sure that I dont buy any wrong type. If you could give me a few options to which RAM frequency I should get,I want a more high end RAM,not 2133mhz speed. Im not sure if I should go for 32gb or 16gb,because I just thought of Virtual PC yesterday. I also want ddr4 that works with quad channel at at high frequency like 2800mhz or 3000mhz speed. I dont want to skimp out on hardware on my new pc.

I did think that the 5820k should be enough,but then again I thought I migh want to try out SLi later,because 5820k only have 14 pci lanes.

Thanks again for your help:)

Chino
Level 15
According to your requirements, this is what I came up with. Although you might need to make some changes since parts are probably a little more expensive over in Norway.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($554.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($128.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Savage 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($275.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($275.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($654.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($210.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $3305.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-25 12:56 EST-0500

Chino wrote:
According to your requirements, this is what I came up with. Although you might need to make some changes since parts are probably a little more expensive over in Norway.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($554.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($128.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Savage 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($654.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($210.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $3305.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-25 12:56 EST-0500

Thanks for getting back to me so quick,but the GPU is to expensive,I will stick to 970.
As for CPU,I did a PSU wattage calc on this site,and the HW I have plans on installing runs aprox 500W and around 570W with 2x graphiic cards orso.
But yor saing that I should invest in a 1200W PSU instead?
And thx for CPU cooler advice,I have heard alot of good things from it.

I still need advice on the RAM and on m.2 question regarding the new samsung 950 ssd.
Case wise, so your saying the Corsair 750 is better than the Fractual Design XL R2 is? I really like the easy install hdd bracket on Fractual Design

Chino
Level 15
A GTX 970 might have some trouble moving some of the AAA titles with Ultra Settings at 1440p. If you're willing to sacrifice some of the eye candy to buy a cheaper GPU, I guess it can work. A 1200W unit would be future proof for a future 2 GTX 980 Ti SLI configuration. But since you're going for a lower tier GPU, you can get a smaller PSU.

Regarding the RAM, I've already listed some. In regards to the Samsung 950, you can use it in the M.2 slot without problems. As for the case, I just chose one randomly that could house all the components. You can always pick one that you like better.

Chino wrote:
A GTX 970 might have some trouble moving some of the AAA titles with Ultra Settings at 1440p. If you're willing to sacrifice some of the eye candy to buy a cheaper GPU, I guess it can work. A 1200W unit would be future proof for a future 2 GTX 980 Ti SLI configuration. But since you're going for a lower tier GPU, you can get a smaller PSU.

Regarding the RAM, I've already listed some. In regards to the Samsung 950, you can use it in the M.2 slot without problems. As for the case, I just chose one randomly that could house all the components. You can always pick one that you like better.

I dont have any plans on playing the most demanding titles really, I just want a good graphic card.
regarding the 950 m.2, I sure will add it when I buy the lot,but I still dont know if I get 2500/1500
speed if I put it on m.2 socket or if I need to place it in a pci-e card.
Regarding The RAM I cant find 32gb of what you listed for sale.
is there a RAM compatible sheet for me to check what RAM thats compatible with this mobo,read that a lot of RAM issues with this one.

Nate152
Hello trylle

The M.2 slot runs at x4 speed so you don't need any kind of adapter for the 950 pro to achieve advertised speeds.

You could do a new z170 build with the maximus viii hero, 6700k cpu, 16GB 3200MHz trident z ram and gtx 980ti for well under 2000.00 u.s. dollars. Performance would be way better than with the rampage v extreme and gtx 970. The gpu is where you'll see the biggest performance increase and I agree with Chino, a gtx 970 is going to struggle at 1440p resolution, the 970 is more for 1080p.

There would be nothing worse than building a new gaming pc and then it performs like crap.

Heck you could do a z170 build with two 980ti's in sli for under 3,000.00 u.s. dollars. All parts are important but the gpu is the most important for a gaming pc.