cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice to new build!!!

classified
Level 7
Hi guys. It was a long time since I login, Actually its almost 2 years and I lost my loging account almost 1 year back.
I was a white guru or something then.
anyway I need you guys to help me this time too. I need to build a new gaming PC as my old one is getting slow.
My old setup was- maximus 5 extreme with i7- 3970k, 2X GTX 680 SLI with 32Gb 2400hz RAM, All water cooled.
Its was 3 years back and serve me well until now.
This time I wish to go for another killing machine. I need a little help as I`m gating outdated my self.
This time I wish to go Rampage v extreme/u3.1 or MSI X99S GAMING 9. CPU i7 5930K or i7 5960X. GPU 2X GTX 980 Ti on SLI or
2X Radeon R9 295X2 on crossfire. g skill ddr4 3000mhz 32Gb. This what I thought of. I have 1500W power ,other SSDs, HHDs,
that I can salvage from the old rig. What you guys think or your advice. Do I go for this or is there something better.
17 REPLIES 17

InfernoStorm
Level 10
I vote for Rampage V Extreme, i7-5960X and 2 x GTX 980 Ti.. Depending on your budget, but this is pretty damn good already

Thanks man. That`s what I thought too. But will see if anyone else has different ideas.

Welcome back to rog,you should know by now that the R5E is the best mobo, bar none

Nate152
If you're just doing 2 way sli you could go with a maximus build and save some cash.

Maximus vii formula
G.Skill trident x 2400MHz 16GB
980ti sli

If you were going 3 way sli the x99 would be better as you wouldn't have the plx chip to add the pcie lanes which also adds a slight latency.

What monitor will you be using?

Nate152 wrote:
If you're just doing 2 way sli you could go with a maximus build and save some cash.

Maximus vii formula
G.Skill trident x 2400MHz 16GB
980ti sli

If you were going 3 way sli the x99 would be better as you wouldn't have the plx chip to add the pcie lanes which also adds a slight latency.

What monitor will you be using?

This is the most common bundle that people go for because of the better price over performance ratio when compared to X99 setup. It's definitely worth considering as the performance gap will be very close.

kkn
Level 14
new hardware just around the corner coming out soon.
the Z170 lineup witch will support DDR4 memory.

but you could switch out your Os drive and see if it gets a lill faster?
take a look from this point and out about when he comes to his old SSD's.
https://youtu.be/moCmcPDkDac?t=4m29s

classified
Level 7
Tanks guys. I wish to use 4K monitors, may be 3 of them. Another quick question Can we use one 4k monitor and 2 HD monitors?

kkn
Level 14
4K = 60HZ
by guess? mabye ( no promising ).
i have expanded desktop on my 2 monitors, 1366 x 768 on one and 1920 x 1080 on the other.
BUT both run at 60HZ.

classified
Level 7
Thanks guys again. I wish to go on a x99 board this time. with 6 core CPU, means R5E. Now the hard choice - 2X GTX 980 ti or one titan X?
My be in the future I can add one more Titan x and make it SLI.
Need to choose i7-5930K, 5960X or 4960X.
Mainly I use this PC for gaming. 5930k is almost the half price of 5960X, Is it worthy to pay double for 2 more cores?