cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on new gaming PC - Keep or replace Ram ?

Gavo197838
Level 7
Hi All

I have just recently built a new PC and come across an issue with the ram not running at the stated speed of 4000 Mhz. Asus technical team have advised me that the ram i have bought is not on the QVL list:-
CMK32GX4M4K4000C19 = Tested and on the QVL list
CMW32GX4M4K4000C19 = What i bought

I have managed to get the ram running at 3600Mhz fine so i'm not sure what to do, is it something that will be fixed in the future with a bios update to get 4000 Mhz stable? I am still under warranty so should i send the ram back and get what ? that CMK ram that has been tested and on the list is old end of line and does not have the RGB or heat distribution like the new model.

I would appciate any advise, maybe some one knows the exact settings to change for a stable 4000 Mhz ?

Here is my Spec:-
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO
Windows 10 64 bit, BIOs 3801
Geforce RTX 3090 founders edition
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 4000MHz C19 Memory Kit
be quiet! Dark Power 12 1000 Watt Fully Modular 80+ Titanium PSU/Power Supply
iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler
WD Black SN850 2TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 Gen4 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive
9 REPLIES 9

Gavo197838
Level 7
No one 😞

xmanrigger
Level 12
I will venture to say it may be a weak IMC (Intergated Memory Controller) on the 5900X CPU.

The higher the CPU clocks you push, the more strain added to the IMC.

Intel CPUs can suffer from this as well. I have a 16GB kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz memory. The highest stable speed I am able to reach is 2200mhz using a i7-3930K. The 3930K and the Rampage IV Formula are both rated to run memory at 2400mhz. Hitting 2400mhz is a lottery. Setting it to XMP profiles results in no post. I had to manually overclock the memory and tweak timings to be stable at 2200mhz.

EDIT: I should mention that some others using an i7-3930K were able to clock memory to 2400mhz and higher. Thus, its a lottery with some CPUs. I had also tried a 16GB kit of G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz on same CPU with same result.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

SmokeyKilla
Level 8
yep most likely is your cpu rather than your memory its a bit of a lottery and unless your gaming at 1080p which i highly doubt on a rig like this your not going to notice the difference between 3600mhz and 4000mhz. I doubt with your cpu that you will ever get it to run at 4000mhz and depending on the price difference, and/or if you want to do some serious overclocking I would just stick with what you have.

Hey,

It could be the IMC but overclocking to 4000MHz takes a lot of skill. I'm thinking it's possible to achieve the frequency. Try asking users in the Overclocking/Tweaking forum.

AS185 wrote:
Hey,

It could be the IMC but overclocking to 4000MHz takes a lot of skill. I'm thinking it's possible to achieve the frequency. Try asking users in the Overclocking/Tweaking forum.

One or two answered above. LOL

3600mhz is as high as it will post right now. If a person ever managed to get the memory up to 4000mhz with that CPU, the timings would likely be so loose, the memory was probably faster at 3600mhz. Timings are as important or more, than frequency alone.

Best case scenario is to mess with the timings and tighten them as much as possible. The memory modules should say what voltage they are to run at. Set that voltage in the BIOS and dont go much if any above that. There are other voltages that can be tweaked (vccsa, vccio, pch). But stick with just the dram for now.

Once you set the dram voltage, you can start tightening the timings. This can be extensive and there are guides to do so.

You can also bump the FSB frequency. Doing so will overclock the CPU as well though. So be mindful to CPU frequency. You might have to drop a multiplier and/or raise the CPU Core voltage. As I said above, the higher the CPU frequency, the more strain added to the IMC. You should be able to get the FSB to 103mhz easily, but start at 101mhz and slowly work your way up.

"It could be the IMC but overclocking to 4000MHz takes a lot of skill"
If it wasnt the IMC, chances are the memory would work straight out of the box at 4000mhz by setting the XMP profile. No overclocking or pissing around to get my G.Kill TridentZ to its rated 4000mhz with my i9-10850K. Set XMP and bang - 4000mhz. With the same timings (15-16-16-36 CL15), I was able to easily bump frequency to 4100+mhz with just the FSB. Without adjusting the vccsa, vccio, pch voltages.

So yes, the integrity of the IMC plays a big part in higher memory frequencies.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

Ok, so not everyone is enlightened as you in overclocking random access memory. Help out the guy rather then showing off.

AS185 wrote:
Ok, so not everyone is enlightened as you in overclocking random access memory. Help out the guy rather then showing off.

Your reply is laughable at best.

Hey, I am not here to start a pissing match. Nor do I feel the need to explain my PC skills/experience to some forum troll. I offered the guy some suggestions as to where to start. Please tell me how I was 'showing off'.

You obviously have little knowledge of OC'ing. Otherwise, your reply would have reflected something constructive. Furthermore, you would know overclocking memory isnt a picnic. Overclocking memory is far more extensive than just bumping a CPU multiplier and voltage and calling yourself a pro. Extensive enough I am not going to sit here and write a story.

There are some very good guides in this forum and on others that explain in detail. Far more comprehensive than I could ever get. Oh wait, did I just admit I dont know it all? Go figure.

Have a nice day Troll.

xmanrigger wrote:
Your reply is laughable at best.

Hey, I am not here to start a pissing match. Nor do I feel the need to explain my PC skills/experience to some forum troll. I offered the guy some suggestions as to where to start. Please tell me how I was 'showing off'.

You obviously have little knowledge of OC'ing. Otherwise, your reply would have reflected something constructive. Furthermore, you would know overclocking memory isnt a picnic. Overclocking memory is far more extensive than just bumping a CPU multiplier and voltage and calling yourself a pro. Extensive enough I am not going to sit here and write a story.

There are some very good guides in this forum and on others that explain in detail. Far more comprehensive than I could ever get. Oh wait, did I just admit I dont know it all? Go figure.

Have a nice day Troll.

I honestly don't know where you're getting the idea of a troll here? I replied that I'm not an expert in overclocking. Yes bud, you're showing off. I'm here on the forum to help people out however I can using my long time knowledge. If you can't see that, maybe use the search button instead? I couldn't care less about overclocking.

RedSector73
Level 12
Corsair RAM, I know what I think is weak link... Anyway,

DOCP DDR@4000 and use 1.1v SOC to 1.15v and see if you can get boot and test / sucess.
If you cant, try DOCP with DDR@3800 and see if the above works, with manually set FLCK 1900 and same SOC voltages try 1.1v and then 1.15v

How to set SOC Voltage.

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Extreme Tweaker (maybe AI Tweaker) -> CPU SOC Voltage set to manual
-VDDSOC Voltage Override and type in the voltage. 1.1 (4xdimms) or 1.15 (4xdimms, not quite stable @ 1.1v)